Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Jawnathin, nice build and congrats. Just my $0.02...I'd scrap the 160* T-stat and pick up a Dewitts radiator which can also covert your oil cooler from the stock air/oil cooler to a water/oil cooler like the newer Z06 and ZR1 come with.
Thanks for the suggestion. Eventually I'd like to head down that route, but for now, I'm leaning on the expertise of the the builder/tuner to piece out these parts.

I still can't figure out which Dewitts cooler I'd need. It wasn't clear in the other thread how I can have a similar radiator and oil cooling/warming system to the ones like in the newer cars. Do you know which model number it is? I think I need some other fittings as well?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:56 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Thanks for the suggestion. Eventually I'd like to head down that route, but for now, I'm leaning on the expertise of the the builder/tuner to piece out these parts.

I still can't figure out which Dewitts cooler I'd need. It wasn't clear in the other thread how I can have a similar radiator and oil cooling/warming system to the ones like in the newer cars. Do you know which model number it is? I think I need some other fittings as well?
Pretty sure it's model number 1139105A which states all Z06 (excluding '12+) and all C6 Automatics. I believe the integrated cooler is intended to be a trans cooler for the automatics, but can be used as an engine oil cooler on the C6Z. Pretty sure stock oil cooler lines can be retained, but I think a couple AN fittings/adapters are needed to mate up to the cooler. Again, this is just what I've gleaned from reading various threads on here and elsewhere...but I'm sure they could take care of you with a phone call.

I still have 3+ years of GMPP warranty; but when that comes up, I'll either renew one more time...or pull the trigger on some valvetrain work and this Dewitts rad which doubles the cooling rows and the added plus is that I'll get the benefit of the water/oil cooler. Those two items and a CMS dyno tune will complete my upgrades...maybe a P&P TB and intake as well. Who knows though...I'll just have to see how this whole valvetrain thing shakes out over the next three years; but I suspect we'll be no further along than we are today with discovering the actual "why" and having GM offer a legitimate fix on their dime.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ht600
Hey Quick, could you make a note that mine are Ferrea Superalloys. P.S. tjwong did my install.
Yes. I will note it in the listing.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have been told the SS exhaust valves for my heads arrived. The porting isn't done yet and they aren't on the car, but they will be

Edit:

10K mile 2007 Z06
Bronze guides being installed.
Factory Ti intake being reused with bronze guides
Factory guides were "in spec" but wearing and tapered top to bottom(mostly the exhaust guides)
Manley Nextek springs selected for specs of several cam specs I gave shop I am thinking about running(later mod, this year)

Last edited by WhiteDiamond; 03-03-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I have been told the SS exhaust valves for my heads arrived. The porting isn't done yet and they aren't on the car, but they will be

Edit:

10K mile 2007 Z06
Bronze guides being installed.
Factory Ti intake being reused with bronze guides
Factory guides were "in spec" but wearing and tapered top to bottom(mostly the exhaust guides)
Manley Nextek springs selected for specs of several cam specs I gave shop I am thinking about running(later mod, this year)

Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of a break in the dreary winter weather today, although still way too cold to get too "frisky." All I can say is "wow." Not only is this beast incredibly responsive, but what a pleasure to zip through the RPMs in first and second with no second thoughts about punching a hole in the side of my block. I notice absolutely no difference in spooling up with the SS exhaust valves. But glad I went with the Brodix to eliminate any lingering doubts about geometry issues.

Thanks WCCH, Katech, ECS, Halltech, etc for making this the most entertaining ride of my 9 Vettes. Think I got a keeper here...
Old 03-03-2013, 09:41 PM
MudZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
A bit of a break in the dreary winter weather today, although still way too cold to get too "frisky." All I can say is "wow." Not only is this beast incredibly responsive, but what a pleasure to zip through the RPMs in first and second with no second thoughts about punching a hole in the side of my block. I notice absolutely no difference in spooling up with the SS exhaust valves.
This!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
A bit of a break in the dreary winter weather today, although still way too cold to get too "frisky." All I can say is "wow." Not only is this beast incredibly responsive, but what a pleasure to zip through the RPMs in first and second with no second thoughts about punching a hole in the side of my block. I notice absolutely no difference in spooling up with the SS exhaust valves. But glad I went with the Brodix to eliminate any lingering doubts about geometry issues.

Thanks WCCH, Katech, ECS, Halltech, etc for making this the most entertaining ride of my 9 Vettes. Think I got a keeper here...
Nothing like the restored confidence in your car that you get following this upgrade.

Confidence lost that I thought I would never get back, but indeed did, and then some.

Also, you say something else in your above post which caught my eye, and that is the "I notice absolutely no difference in spooling up with the SS exhaust valves" part of your post.

That's huge. Because this was the concern of some early on.

You have the added insurance of a stronger stemmed, one piece exhaust valve which is not going to overheat and snap off at, or around, any weld, and you don't have to worry about any potential manufacturing inconsistencies inside of a hollow stemmed sodium filled exhaust valve.

It continues to be proven that with the right valve spring selection for a given setup, this approach can be taken, and with predictable results.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-03-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Woz Z06
Instructor

Hey Quick,
Add another to the growing list. My heads were returned to me today.

Deborah and Richard were great to work with at WCCH. I would recommend them to anyone. Richard would take the time with me to explain things, which gave me comfort I was doing the right things.

But anywhoo, my car is a '07 Z born on Nov 2006. It's only got 16K spirited driving miles with no track time. No anomolies were noted when it was parked for the winter, just wanted piece of mind as i plan on keeping her for a while.

I had the SS exhaust valves installed, bronze guides, BT springs, CHE rocker arm upgrade and decked 0.030". I'll get around this week to measuring for correct pushrod length and throw them on.

There is another thread out there for posting guide measurements, I'll post mine to that. I will say that the bottom of all exhaust guides were out of spec.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Woz Z06
Hey Quick,
Add another to the growing list. My heads were returned to me today.

Deborah and Richard were great to work with at WCCH. I would recommend them to anyone. Richard would take the time with me to explain things, which gave me comfort I was doing the right things.

But anywhoo, my car is a '07 Z born on Nov 2006. It's only got 16K spirited driving miles with no track time. No anomolies were noted when it was parked for the winter, just wanted piece of mind as i plan on keeping her for a while.

I had the SS exhaust valves installed, bronze guides, BT springs, CHE rocker arm upgrade and decked 0.030". I'll get around this week to measuring for correct pushrod length and throw them on.

There is another thread out there for posting guide measurements, I'll post mine to that. I will say that the bottom of all exhaust guides were out of spec.
Well congrats on the new heads Woz.

And also congrats on the newly acquired peace of mind which you refer to above.

I'll add you to the listing and hopefully in so doing, will give people an idea of how many of our forum membership have opted to choose this particular method for addressing the issue.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM
iNeedSpeed
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My motor detonated so I am taking this opportunity on the rebuild to put Ferrera Super Alloy exhaust valves in. Car will be back together in 2 weeks.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
philpacs
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Quick, please add me to your list. I added CHE bronze guides and SS valves along with hand porting and milled to .020 and should get the car back this week. I'm also getting one of the heads back will try to find someone to perform the "test" to them. Thanks again for all your research, you do a great service to help us enjoy these great machines.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iNeedSpeed
My motor detonated so I am taking this opportunity on the rebuild to put Ferrera Super Alloy exhaust valves in. Car will be back together in 2 weeks.
Sorry to hear that you lost a motor, but I wish you the best of luck getting it back up and running.

Originally Posted by philpacs
Hey Quick, please add me to your list. I added CHE bronze guides and SS valves along with hand porting and milled to .020 and should get the car back this week. I'm also getting one of the heads back will try to find someone to perform the "test" to them. Thanks again for all your research, you do a great service to help us enjoy these great machines.
Absolutely Phil, and congrats on the new setup and good luck with the install.

On a side note, I can see in both your instances, the impetus to go this route.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ease-help.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-help-pls.html

Especially you Phil.

In your case, already having dropped a stock exhaust valve, and being stuck with a big repair bill, I can understand fully, as can very many others in here, how you would choose not to expose yourself to the same possibility again.

Congrats again to you both, and I have added you to this listing.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-13-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM
KillerFRC
Advanced

I have Ferrea SS, stock Ti with stock guides. Heads were purchased of an 08 and sent them off to Texas Speed to CNC porting and install the SS exhaust vailves with there double spring kit.

Ran them on my old C5 setup with no issues till I parted it out and going to use them for the new build on my 08Z.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Svre46
Pro

My car will be in the stainless club as of April 2nd. Heads will be done at Speed Inc.

- New bronze guides
- Factory Ti intake valves reused
- Stainless exhaust valves
- PRC EHT .650" spring kit
- ARP bolts

I did some comparing of sending them out for machining and doing the labor myself but in the end for what I was quoted its worth just having them knock it out in a day or two. I feel it is a great way to start the season (even though I would rather save the money). Only reason I went this route is my warranty is up. Car has approx. 19,XXX miles on her. I will feel better knowing I did some "preventative" maintenance and laid the foundation for future mods if I go down that path. Who knows my guides may be out of spec once the heads are off and fully examined maybe they won’t be.

Last edited by Svre46; 03-13-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KillerFRC
I have Ferrea SS, stock Ti with stock guides. Heads were purchased of an 08 and sent them off to Texas Speed to CNC porting and install the SS exhaust vailves with there double spring kit.

Ran them on my old C5 setup with no issues till I parted it out and going to use them for the new build on my 08Z.

KillerFRC, how long did you run these heads in your C5 and for how many miles?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Svre46
My car will be in the stainless club as of April 2nd. Heads will be done at Speed Inc.

- New bronze guides
- Factory Ti intake valves reused
- Stainless exhaust valves
- PRC EHT .650" spring kit
- ARP bolts

I did some comparing of sending them out for machining and doing the labor myself but in the end for what I was quoted its worth just having them knock it out in a day or two. I feel it is a great way to start the season (even though I would rather save the money). Only reason I went this route is my warranty is up. Car has approx. 19,XXX miles on her. I will feel better knowing I did some "preventative" maintenance and laid the foundation for future mods if I go down that path. Who knows my guides may be out of spec once the heads are off and fully examined maybe they won’t be.
Smart move Svre46.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-14-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
KillerFRC
Advanced

I ran them on my car for over a year and had about 5,000 miles with no issues on them before I pulled everthing out and sold the roller.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

Did you ever decide on a radiator?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Did you ever decide on a radiator?
Stock?

Lol, different project for a different time but I might go down that path eventually.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It's official. Add me to the list. Got it all buttoned up and heat cycled today. Many thanks to forum member meanjoe. He spent all day helping me.

Bronze guides, solid stainless 1 pc 1137 valves

Marc konarik racing heads did the machine work at a great price. Mkracingheads.com if anyone in Houston needs it done.

Car is MUCH quieter than before. Sounds like a precision instrument.

Last edited by jedblanks; 03-25-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?