Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 AM
rzmnco
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am currently having SS Exhaust valves and bronze guides installed now at Race Proven Motorsports.

Last edited by rzmnco; 12-31-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock36
If you are curious why I'm particularly interested in seat pressures, it is because in the Katech article, the stability problems with the inconel valve was with bounce specifically. Seat pressures help control against valve bounce.

Here is a good outline of why seat pressure is relevant to the problem of valve bounce from Crane Cams:

Source: http://www.cranecams.com/faqview.php?s_id=33
As per usual Rock, excellent information in both of your last posts, and why that commonly referred to article on spintron testing has to be taken in context.

Yes, they got valve bounce when they tested a 98g Inconel valve using PSI 1511 valve springs.

But now we at least have more clarification as to why.

The article does not show that the use of heavier solid stemmed stainless valves in these motors is necessarily a "bad" idea.

But rather what it does show, is that the use of heavier valves with that particular valve spring, in these engines, is a bad idea.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Another interesting thing about the article, the article mentions the 402 ci engine power peaking at 6300 and then "taking a nosedive".

This makes me think, if a LS7 with SS valves was showing float and/or bounce we could potentially see some kind of similar "nosedive" due to the lack of pressure inside the cylinder.

I would be curious to see a dyno graph up to (or beyond) 7000rpm of a cammed LS7 with SS valves, and see if there is a similar "nosedive". The torque curve will be on a downward slope anyway because it will be past peak torque, but if there is a steep negative slope beyond 6500 rpm, that might be a hint that the valve train is stable or not.

Which, is an actual test we can do, since none of us have access to spintrons. I don't know if we have any such dyno graphs.

I'm just spit-balling there, because there could be other reasons for a steep drop off in power, like the intake manifold can't flow enough air at that speed or whatever.

Last edited by Rock36; 12-31-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 AM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Another interesting thing about the article, the article mentions the 402 ci engine power peaking at 6300 and then "taking a nosedive".

This makes me think, if a LS7 with SS valves was showing float and/or bounce we could potentially see some kind of similar "nosedive" due to the lack of pressure inside the cylinder.

I would be curious to see a dyno graph up to (or beyond) 7000rpm of a cammed LS7 with SS valves, and see if there is a similar "nosedive". The torque curve will be on a downward slope anyway because it will be past peak torque, but if there is a steep negative slope beyond 6500 rpm, that might be a hint that the valve train is stable or not.

Which, is an actual test we can do, since none of us have access to spintrons. I don't know if we have any such dyno graphs.

I'm just spit-balling there, because there could be other reasons for a steep drop off in power, like the intake manifold can't flow enough air at that speed or whatever.

mine has dual springs and it didn't nose dive like the one in the article. yep dual springs and heavy valves are a bad idea. it will not rev to redline like it did stock anymore. it will blow up. I have heard it all but for some reason my cam grinder said it would be just fine with the springs they recommend and for some reason it actually works and has been for over a year. it puts out almost the same power as as it did on the original dyno. I have more power than stock. it revs fast and it hasn't blown up. do I still need a spintron test?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 AM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000FRCZ19

mine has dual springs and it didn't nose dive like the one in the article. yep dual springs and heavy valves are a bad idea. it will not rev to redline like it did stock anymore. it will blow up. I have heard it all but for some reason my cam grinder said it would be just fine with the springs they recommend and for some reason it actually works and has been for over a year. it puts out almost the same power as as it did on the original dyno. I have more power than stock. it revs fast and it hasn't blown up. do I still need a spintron test?
Trust me i have the same deal. My 8 different cams showed none of the so called "nose dives" with my ss vavles and double springs. We must have just got lucky
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 AM
jbvaldez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SS Valves with Bronze guides. Work done at Dallas Performance.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Any concerns from the slightly extra dual spring pressure as it affects the lifters - premature wear??
Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

In the case of the PSI 1511 spring where the spring rate is listed as 384 lbs/in, as far as the listed units go I'm sure it is linear. [...]
I see. Even though the link I provided talks about the progressive spring rate nature of beehive springs. Even though the vendor (Katech) lists two installed height spring pressures that indicates progressivity, not linearity. Oookay . . . .
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

If you are curious why I'm particularly interested in seat pressures, it is because in the Katech article, the stability problems with the inconel valve was with bounce specifically. Seat pressures help control against valve bounce.

Here is a good outline of why seat pressure is relevant to the problem of valve bounce from Crane Cams:

Source: http://www.cranecams.com/faqview.php?s_id=33
I like the "0" horsepower loss

DH
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

This makes me think, if a LS7 with SS valves was showing float and/or bounce we could potentially see some kind of similar "nosedive" due to the lack of pressure inside the cylinder. [...]
We could. That would be a definite indicator of valvetrain instability. I don't think it would be the only indicator.

Again, I have never said that the changes proposed cannot be made to work, simply that a tested/validated system is being replaced with something that lacks the same level of testing/validation, and that the repeated arguments of it being better than a properly functioning OEM design are riddled with illogic, unfounded assumptions, and outright mis-interpretation of data (such as the linear/progressive spring rate discussion) -- all presented as so-called 'fact'.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Quick and others, are there any examples of changing to SS exhaust values with bronze guides and you still have bad geometry? That would be a bummer!

Quick, I think you heads went from bad geometry to good after WCCH reworked them. Why?

Mark
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I see. Even though the link I provided talks about the progressive spring rate nature of beehive springs. Even though the vendor (Katech) lists two installed height spring pressures that indicates progressivity, not linearity. Oookay . . . .
Is Chevy High Performance a professional peer reviewed journal, like JAMA or The Lancet?

You do realize that any of these articles being quoted, are not being quoted from peer reviewed scientific journals, are written for lay people, and may well have errors in them.

Furthermore, I wonder why you snipped out Rock's most important point

[B]And installing the spring taller than the manufacturer listed specification of 120lb @ 1.80" (i.e. installed at 1.85") will yield less seat pressure than 120lbs, which is already significantly less than some of the seat pressures that builders are using in actual practice with SS valves.[b]
So in the context of the article from GM Hi-Tech Performance "Hydraulic Valvetrain Performance" which says:

"This article will specifically address one portion of the test to understand the effect of valve mass on valvetrain dynamics by testing a hollow exhaust valve against a solid Inconel valve on an LS7 valvetrain. We tested this because many people choose solid stainless steel or Inconel valves as an "improvement" over the factory stainless steel, sodium filled, hollow-stem valve."

The listed seat pressure of the PSI-LS 1511 valve spring is 120lbs @ 1.80".

The Katech catalog says the installed height for PSI-1511 springs on the LS7 is 1.85".

Which is taller than 1.80".

So whether or not seat pressures for the PSI-1511 are linear or progressive, at a 1.85" install height, it is expected that seat pressure will still be less than it would be a 1.80" spring height, which is known to be just 120lbs.

So if this was an LS7, like ours, that Katech tested for he article, and they were using the recommended spring heights for the LS7, which is 1.85", then the spring install height would have resulted in less spring pressure than 120lbs, whatever that number is.

So your point is moot.

Linear or progressive, it's still installed at a taller spring height if going by Katech's recommendation, and so whatever the seat pressure is, it can be expected to be less than 120lbs.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Again, I have never said that the changes proposed cannot be made to work,
Oh, here we go.

Why don't you quit pointing to that ONE article then in your attempts to bolster your position against their use?

...simply that a tested/validated system is being replaced with something that lacks the same level of testing/validation,
So what? I could see if the "replacement" were not working. But so what if they have not been "tested/validated" using the same level of "testing/validation".

And why the selection of the term "validation" unless you are attempting to imply that any other setup is "without validation" and thus "invalid"?

And as far as "testing", spintron testing, who says that it is the only "valid" method of testing?

...and that the repeated arguments of it being better than a properly functioning OEM design are riddled with illogic, unfounded assumptions, and outright mis-interpretation of data (such as the linear/progressive spring rate discussion) -- all presented as so-called 'fact'.
See my comments on your "linear vs progressive" argument.

The point is, you know damn well that the seat pressures of the springs at the install heights that they would have been, for the purposes of "testing/validation, are considerably lower than those used in for example MY setup, where I show the seat pressures, and mine are typical.

Anytime anyone in here quotes or references that ONE article again, you, anyone else, in an effort to discredit the use of stainless valves in these cars as a viable alternative to the use of the stock valves, and thus mislead this membership, this will be pointed out.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
[...] So your point is moot. [...]
My point was:
[...] the repeated arguments of it being better than a properly functioning OEM design are riddled with illogic, unfounded assumptions, and outright mis-interpretation of data (such as the linear/progressive spring rate discussion) -- all presented as so-called 'fact'.
And has been well made

Your repeated attempts to argue the obvious does not paper over the underlying errors in your argument.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MarkC
Quick and others, are there any examples of changing to SS exhaust values with bronze guides and you still have bad geometry? That would be a bummer!

Quick, I think you heads went from bad geometry to good after WCCH reworked them. Why?

Mark
If you believe in this "geometry" "good juju vs bad juju" approach, then you have to accept a few things.

1. It is possible to go from good geometry to bad geometry by having head work done.

2. It is possible to go from bad juju to good juju by having head work done.

3. Apparently everybody who had "bad juju" and went to stainless valves, when they had their heads done, now has "good juju", as no stainless valve in here has failed, and no bad juju has been identified from the juju test after having been done. Even if they were known to have been afflicted by bad juju as their guides were originally shot in the first place. If your guides are shot, or were shot, well then the biggest reason for them having been shot, is bad juju. Bad juju is the leading cause of valve guide wear.

4. Having your heads done, but sticking with the stock exhaust valves, does not remove the bad juju if you had it before. As there are at least two cars in here, which had their heads done, but kept their stock exhaust valves, and promptly broke the stock valves.

Bad juju. Now some imply that the installation of "new guides" might cure bad juju. But they offer up no example demonstrating that it actually has.

4. In the cases of the cars which failed in here after having their heads done, but sticking with the stock exhaust valves, one can immediately think of two possibilities as to why that may have happened.

A. They started out with good juju, and when the heads were done, ended up with bad juju.

B. They started out with bad juju, and after they were done, still had bad juju. But apparently such a case of retaining bad juju after headwork and using stainless valves, is not in the annals of forum history......so it must have been bad luck, that they still had bad juju after the heads were done.

Now of course, the above is all said tongue in cheek, and is allegory.

But I don't for one minute believe that the guides wore out in my spare set of heads due to "bad geometry", and then after I sent them to WCCH to have them do the stage 2 port work, guides and valves, than now all of a sudden they have "good geometry".

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-31-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Oh, here we go.

Why don't you quit pointing to that ONE article then in your attempts to bolster your position against their use? [...]
Making stuff up doesn't help your argument either
Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Making stuff up doesn't help your argument either
My point was:

And has been well made

Your repeated attempts to argue the obvious does not paper over the underlying errors in your argument.
Point to the one belonging to a member in here which snapped off a valve head and had it fall into a combustion chamber like the stock ones have been known to do, again.

I didn't see it the first time you posted it.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jbvaldez
SS Valves with Bronze guides. Work done at Dallas Performance.
Originally Posted by rzmnco
I am currently having SS Exhaust valves and bronze guides installed now at Race Proven Motorsports.
I put you both on the listing.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Sm5654
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My heads are on their way back to Quality Motorsports from WCCH with SS valves and bronze guides as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sm5654
My heads are on their way back to Quality Motorsports from WCCH with SS valves and bronze guides as well.
Thanks for posting up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?