Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Are gains from hi rise intake on 440" worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Lethal427
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are gains from hi rise intake on 440" worth it?

I have a 440" shortblock getting built, top shelf Mast or WCCH Heads will be installed, I have ARH LT Headers, Ported TB, BB FusionExhaust, FAST Intake/Rails, LS9R Clutch, I'll be adding better injectors, , I'm looking to find out if a taller intake, or, Wilson Hi rise style would really add much power to compliment the additional cube???a new hood would be needed also, does anyone have the set up, or had a build like this??? I'll be running a 150-200 shot , it's a lot of money and parts, just trying to look over the cost factors vs the gains! Thanks.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Captain Z
Racer

Although not identical to yours, my build is very similar. Randy at Ragin Racin has just completed work on my car and it a very killer setup in my opinion.

Stayed with the 427 for max NA build.

Built Motor
Mahle Pistons
Crower shaft mounted adjustable rockers
Balanced stock crank
ID dynamic 1000 cc injectors
Dewitts Radiator with dual fans
Katech c5 timing chain
Katech high volume oil pump
ATI underdrive pulley
Complete aftermarket fuel system
E85
High compression (13.5:1)
4.10 gears
TR6060 Level VI by RPM
Tick Shift master cylinder
Titanium intake valves that are moly coated
SS exhaust valves
Mast 305 cc heads
RPM BC2 clutch (AWESOME)
Nick Williams 105 TB
halltech 107 intake
AR 2" headers

Precision Metalcraft Sheet Metal Intake (see website)
Designed to fit under stock LS7 hood

Do a search on this forum called sheet metal intake posted by Randy and you will see how the intake evolves on my car to where it is today.

Initially, we lost some power and torque down low to the FAST intake which most people didn't like. Out of curiosity, and because I have really always wanted to try, we then went to a larger, SOLID ROLLER setup, dyno results which can also be seen on that same thread.

Dyno produced 545 rwtq and 640 rwhp. I think it has a little left in it because the dyno runs were done with the exhaust baffles closed (my mild to wild clicker wasn't working)

Pay close attention to the video which shows how quickly this car revs. Pulls were done from 3200 rpm all the way to 7500. It all happens in around 4 secs...thats forced induction territory!

Randy says this is the quickest NA vette he has ever seen; and after driving it I can attest that it would hard to imagine anything quicker.

All that to say that if you want a max effort and you are interested in highway type pulls or drag strip, particularly if you use an aftermarket hood, I think the gains are worth it. It just depends on what you are looking for

If street light to street light are more important to you, and you don't want your build to get quite as crazy as mine, then I think the FAST is tough to beat.

Sorry to run this thread as long as I did but there it is...have fun with your decision!!

Last edited by Captain Z; 09-23-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Captain Z
Racer

I would also add that to really take advantage of a sheet metal intake you have to be willing to rev the car past 5500 at a minimum to really see significant gains over a FAST setup. That's one reason why I wanted a bullit-proof valvetrain.

I also think that a solid roller setup like what we have done works well with the sheet metal intakes because again it works best in the higher rpms.

Cheers.

JD
Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 AM
Lethal427
Pro

Default 440"

I'm looking for serious street driving, with the ability to go light to light, and then, I definately will be racing the car!!I like to race 1/4 mile in spring and fall! I want this N/A build to be as fast and nasty as I can have it built!! it will take a little work, I have 1-7/8" ARH, and even the BB Fusion? not sure if this is a full 3" system? it seems like with the 440" the whole system needs to be opened up!!! I am in no rush, car runs fine as is, and is a rocket!! what I'm doing now is getting used to driving a standard!! getting better every day!! also on fence about going to a auto!!! I know with a standard, my 60's will be serious!!! however, this whole Z06 platform is really meant to be a manual!!! a auto would take so much away from the other performance areas!!!please keep info comming, I'll use it!! and, fully document the the transition!.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:31 AM
Lethal427
Pro

Captain Z, do you have any 1/4 mile times???also, you can write and or document as much as you care to, looking forward to it!!!also, where is the video???

Last edited by Lethal427; 09-23-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Captain Z
Racer

Originally Posted by Lethal427
Captain Z, do you have any 1/4 mile times???also, you can write and or document as much as you care to, looking forward to it!!!also, where is the video???
No quarter times yet. Planning to go to track in October.

You can see a video of dyno run on the thread titled "ls7 aluminum intake" posted by Randy at Ragin Racin. This was one of the early runs that was taken, not final numbers. This car is ridiculous on the street.

thx

Get notified of new replies

To Are gains from hi rise intake on 440" worth it?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Are gains from hi rise intake on 440" worth it?