Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

What bothers me most about this whole mess, is GM KNOWS there's a problem (and I'm sure they KNOW what the cause of the problem is), and while they "may" fix it under warranty, if you're out of warranty, then they could care less, even though the customer had nothing to due with the cause of the issue!
Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdavekirk
Perhaps mental anguish should be part of the lawsuit. I know for myself this whole situation has taken a portion of the enjoyment out of owning a Z. My 11 Z motor was built 1 month after GM said the problem was "contained". I wish I could feel confident that this is the case. I guarantee you that I don't. A detailed explanation from GM explaining the "machining error in the valve guide" and why it only "affects a small, number of '08, 09 ’10 and ’11 Z06’s" would go a long way in restoring confidence. Mistakes can and will happen. What really matters in my mind is how we as individuals or in this case a large corporation handle the issue. GM is acting like a big child and trying to point the issue at paranoid consumers instead of owning up to the issue. At the very least GM should at no cost to the consumer inspect each LS7 that falls within the 08,09,10,11 window. They should also provide justification as to why they feel there was not an issue in 06, 07, and also later 11, 12, and 13 motors. I am still blown away that GM can say you may have a problem but if we inspect it and you don't you'll have to pay. WTH kinda customer service is that. That is downright CRIMINAL.

I guarantee there will be no C7 for me or for that matter another new GM vehicle until GM steps up and takes care of this issue in a manner that respects us "the customer". I have two other vehicles that are due to be replaced in the next year. They are both GM and will not be replaced with a new GM vehicle. I'm looking elsewhere.

Point anybody that you know of looking to buy a new vehicle to this thread. If a company won't properly stand behind their product and customers, why would anybody want to buy their products.

If GM starts losing some Malibu and Impala sales they might wake up.
I have been looking to replace my 07 CTS with a newer model but no more GM cars in my future. Sad commentary on what could of been a strong customer relations consideration while strengthening there marketing.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
...of course, it would be truly helpful if the detailed root cause of these issues with the LS7 (or LS9) were truly understood...
but as we know GM isn't saying, and everyone needs to evaluate their own situation to protect their engines.
So true. Everyone is going to need a "tailor made" solution for themselves.

At this point, because nobody knows the "root cause" of it, or if they do know, then they aren't saying, there appears to be no "one size fits all" management for this problem.

We're all shooting in the dark.

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Obviously the reports of LS7 problems & failures is much more prevalent than the LS9 so far, but I find the entire
situation rather sickening...
Yes, it is.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 PM
User24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
As I posted elsewhere in this forum:

Regardless of the debate on the various causes and factors, if GM went on record and said the problem was fixed after MY 2011 - and if there are a significant number of documented similar related low-milage failures after they said it was fixed - it's class-action lawsuit time. Simple as that.

We are customers - it's not our job to re-engineer this car. I have a 2013 427 and will be watching here VERY closely. Since GM drew a line in the sand and said the problem was fixed after a certain date - it really starts at that point - that's the whole ballgame. All the prior and ongoing debate as to causes and factors is comparatively trivial (except to vendors selling upgrades). If it's not truly fixed as GM stated, it is then consumer fraud - hello FTC.

And any LS7 owner, regardless of failure incidence with their particular car, could be part of damages awarded due to diminished resale value associated with a reputation for an unreliable engine if GM is found to have mislead consumers about defects found in that engine.

There should be a sticky thread titled: "LS7 FAILURES AFTER GM's ANNOUNCED FIX DATE" It's either fixed or it's not - game, set, match.
Is the documented failures from 06-07 enough to establish consumer fraud already?
Old 08-31-2013, 11:35 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by User24
Is the documented failures from 06-07 enough to establish consumer fraud already?
You can count me in for the 2007 excessive guide wear along with another in our club. Two out of 3 bad and the third wasn't checked.

Wear was ~ .009 @ 43K miles.

Last edited by 2k Cobra; 12-26-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Javvy
Instructor

Im in for 2007 blown engine club.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2006 model here; bad guides. Heads redone before any catastrophies.

I'm no lawyer, but it seems it would be criminal to knowingly market a flawed product for over seven model years, and then publicly lie about the range of models affected, and lie about it having been corrected.

No further new GM products for me either. Ever!

I forsee a quick return to bankruptcy for these clowns.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:45 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2008 30,000 miles blown also. Dropped valve also.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

I feel betrayed and would in list in a class action law suit .this is my 7th vette .i hate to say my last but I sure feel that way right now .
Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

^ when did it blow up?

What were you doing when it blew? Any track time? Any mods?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 PM
The black bitch.
Instructor

A month ago ,no track a little street racing.very mild mods.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The black bitch.
A month ago ,no track a little street racing.very mild mods.
When you say very mild mods, can you be a bit more specific.

I try and keep track of the valve failures, and the circumstances surrounding them in here.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2013, 08:15 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
When you say very mild mods, can you be a bit more specific.

I try and keep track of the valve failures, and the circumstances surrounding them in here.

Thanks
To put it mildly...
Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

and kudos for said (herculean) effort !
Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Javvy
Im in for 2007 blown engine club.
What was the cause of your failure, Javvy?

Modified or stock?
Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM
ltk
Heel & Toe

Gents, I've made it about 50 pages through this post and read the last few pages as well. I'm having a hard time finding a recommended solution that's fairly standardized. I found 8 needle bearings and small fragments from the roller rocker end cap on my aft magnetic oil plug. The last owner had a head swap on the driver side after some noise. I pulled off both valve covers and there are none missing which leads me to believe they've been in there prior to the left head swap, 5k miles at a minimum. This means GM did a head swap, but didn't take the time to remove the old needle bearings from the oil pan. I called them and they said it's been past a year so the work is not warrantied. This seems pretty ****** since they didn't do the job correctly the first time around. Now I'm forced to lift the engine, pull that pan, inspect everything etc on my own dime.

Here is my planned course of action... please advise.

1. pull engine and inspect for damage from the bottom up.
2. check valve guide measurements
3. have the heads reworked if necessary
4. SS exhaust valves
5. bronze valve guides
6. roller rocker upgrade
7. Cam and headers

Anything I'm missing other than oil, gaskets, etc?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ltk
Gents, I've made it about 50 pages through this post and read the last few pages as well. I'm having a hard time finding a recommended solution that's fairly standardized. I found 8 needle bearings and small fragments from the roller rocker end cap on my aft magnetic oil plug. The last owner had a head swap on the driver side after some noise. I pulled off both valve covers and there are none missing which leads me to believe they've been in there prior to the left head swap, 5k miles at a minimum. [...]
Since you don't know exactly what was done by the dealer or previous to the dealer (the rocker failure and the head replacement could have occurred at different times) you could simply replace all the rocker arms with OEM replacements and be done with the rocker bearing issue.

As to the valve guide issue, while you're changing the rockers would be a great time to do the wiggle test (see http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1582871091-post151.html -- conventional wisdom is to divide the dial indicator reading by two to get reasonable approximation of actual guide clearance). If the guides are worn then be prepared to go ahead and pull the heads (plan in advance accordingly). If the guides are in good shape then I can see no reason to not simply put the new rockers on and button 'er up.

You can spend a lot more money on aftermarket parts for either issue if you so desire, including even if you find no anomalies, but there is no technical data indicating that it is of any benefit.

As some mentioned in the other sticky thread, I also think there is no real cause for alarm in finding the old needle bearings in the pan. If they haven't hurt anything by now they are unlikely to, I would think. I can understand any concern about the rest of the rockers since they seem to be in the suspect date range.

Get notified of new replies

To GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 PM
ltk
Heel & Toe

Thanks, Mark200X, for the good info... I'll try to get my hands on a micrometer and see how bad they are after reading through that link you included. If I don't see issues there that will probably drastically change my course of action. I've been looking forward to a cam and headers install down the road, but go back and forth on that after everything I'm reading on here.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by User24
I don't think so. While I sympathize with owners of failed '06-'11 cars, things go wrong - that's why there are recalls. And GM should probably do a recall...

But the FTC fraud would seem to be to:
1) acknowledge existence of the problem - which GM did for '08-'11 cars
2) claim (assure) consumers they had found and fixed the problem
3) then continue selling cars with the same problem ('12-'13 cars)

So if a good number of '12-'13 cars have the same problems (as we might document here), then GM is really vulnerable to a suit.

I know that many on this forum have focused on fixes for '08s etc, but if you're after a mobster, and you can't get 'em on theft, but you can on tax evasion, don't you put 'em away any way you can?

Last edited by VETTEMANN; 09-03-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Jackal
Drifting

I know I have stated this before, but my car is a 2006 with 56k miles and I had an exhaust valve drop that totaled my LS7. I have no warranty, car was bought used. I had not even made one payment on it before it grenaded. The car is still sitting on jack stands in my garage, so im making payments on a car since the end of last year that I cant even drive.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed