Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,500 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgeorge27
Does anyone actually have the GM Bullentin number stating that they have an issue with their valves? I have spoken to the dealership and they need this bullentin number. I Had to replace my blown motor due to a bad valve. Thanks in advance....I am looking for the article where GM came out and stated that they have an issue with the z06 valves...
See Post #1, #556 and #604. That's it. There is no recall, TIL or other formal notification. Print that out and take it to your dealer. Hopefully they won't laugh you out of the place

Last edited by AzDave47; 10-26-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I understand what you are trying to say and I also understand what a form letter is (even if you are trying now to says its a "form response")

Bottom line is that I have sent 7 distinctly different emails (not form letters) and have gotten 7 distinctly different replies (not from letters).

The responses may not be what you would like or accept. But for now I don't know what else I could expect. I will be getting a personal call from a district manager. I will plead my case and make my requests. I reserve the right to make my final judgement of this issue until I have persued all avenues of redress or until GM makes another announcement.

I reccomend you do the same

GO GM !!!

DH
A form letter (I said response also since that's what you will get over the phone which I see you already jumped the gun and are talking about that) per Webster dictionary:

1 : a letter on a subject of frequent recurrence that can be sent to different people without essential change except in the address
2 : a letter for mass circulation that is printed in many copies and has a very general salutation

This is exactly what you have been receiving. I don't really know what else to tell you. It's almost comical how we seem to be speaking different languages.

A real solution would be a TSB or other solution where owners are notified. What you fail to realize is GM is on the hook to you legally since they have admitted to bad valve guides already. They are just trying to make you go away and not service all owners. Heck they still haven't even gone on record that if they find something they will fix it for you! (Form letters)

Last edited by gatti-man; 10-26-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
A form letter (I said response also since that's what you will get over the phone which I see you already jumped the gun and are talking about that) per Webster dictionary:

1 : a letter on a subject of frequent recurrence that can be sent to different people without essential change except in the address
2 : a letter for mass circulation that is printed in many copies and has a very general salutation

This is exactly what you have been receiving. I don't really know what else to tell you. It's almost comical how we seem to be speaking different languages.

A real solution would be a TSB or other solution where owners are notified. What you fail to realize is GM is on the hook to you legally since they have admitted to bad valve guides already. They are just trying to make you go away and not service all owners. Heck they still haven't even gone on record that if they find something they will fix it for you! (Form letters)
Again, I fully understand. So you are saying you have received the same 7 Form Letters that I have....right?

And I do understand that GM may have a legal obligation to me. I am after all asking for recourse to this issue even though I am currently out of warranty.

The difference is I am willing to give them time and the benefit of the doubt. I am addressing the problem through the channels they have provided. I do not see them turning a deaf ear to me. And nobody knows what actions they may take in the near future.

GO GM !!!

DH
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
That's a good question.

Well, look at it this way.

If those heads hold you while you are in warranty, great.

It's when you go OUT of warranty that you have to be concerned.
Factory warranty? That ship sailed a year ago. That doesn't, in my mind, have any bearing on a 15,000 mile engine. Under aftermarket warranty until 2013.

Originally Posted by track junkie
Before installing the new heads also have them check the valve guide to valve seat runout, which I doubt the dealer service tech will be able to do. Better yet, request and pay them to send the heads out to a local auto machine shop that the dealer uses for a complete check with measurements.
I doubt very seriously there is any chance of the dealer doing this. Why on earth would GM authorize that?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:09 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Factory warranty?
No, not necessarily factory warranty. Any warranty.

That ship sailed a year ago. That doesn't, in my mind, have any bearing on a 15,000 mile engine. Under aftermarket warranty until 2013.
I'm not following you here. Please explain. What doesn't, in your mind, have any bearing on a 15K mile engine?
Old 10-27-2012, 04:09 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
Thanks. I'll call this weekend. I just transferred my job to McKinney so I will be commuting there from Lake Texoma daily (that way I get to 'live' at home instead of having to live in the townhouse during the week. I hated not being able to 'come home' during week days when I worked in Arlington. They are sorta out of the way now at this point. My car stays in my shop at home (outside Pottsboro near the lake) so it's much more difficult to get it to Grapevine unless I drive it to work one day.....but Grapevine is still quiet far away from McKinney or the lake area.

I will try to call you on Saturday....what's the best time of day for you?

Tim

Add: I forgot which area your in....northeast of Lewisville, correct?

Call me anytime I am in Arlington Grand Prairie we had a get together last Sunday we are shooting for another get together. I will help you all the way. I am doing heads and cam also. I have a thread posted tell me what you think.. Raher Morrison Did my heads... Come to find out thre Milled .035.040 after they got done with them... brand new guides ss valve ti ect.... ported flowed at 392 cfm...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:58 AM
track junkie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt very seriously there is any chance of the dealer doing this. Why on earth would GM authorize that?
If the dealer wasn't willing to send the heads out to a local machine shop for inspection and measurements, then I would request that they allow the local machine shop to make the inspections and measurements at the dealership at my expense.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Surviving 67
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the questions I wondered is: Suppose they find this issue in my LS7. What then, they replace the heads.....they said was corrected in 02/2011...?? And find out that another guys (Billyjo username) has his 2011 heads checked and out of tolerance....his engine was built several months AFTER the supposed fix.....

I am in the same process.....my next step is to get my car diagnosed in the "past 30 days" so GMCS will proceed with my case number, as I have NEVER made complaints to dealer regarding engine noise.

But after having listened to (Billyjo's) engine recording , my 2010 sounds EXACTLY like his does in the recording.

So, are/will they replace heads with the same which created the condition to begin with? I'll be glad when my warranty is done. Mine is going to a specialty shop when the warranty expires and becomes "my dime".
I wondered the same thing and when I asked the dealership if the heads were going to be checked prior to installation their response was "these heads have been checked on a multitude of levels".

Also the GM rep told me the reason it took so long to get the new heads was because the first order the dealer placed had to be cancelled and a different part number used. I'm going to try and find more out about that the next time I talk to her. I didn't think anything about it when I talked to her but after seeing the new heads were bare and the tech is installing all new parts I wonder if there isn't more to that story.

Bill
Old 10-27-2012, 12:28 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by billyjo
I wondered the same thing and when I asked the dealership if the heads were going to be checked prior to installation their response was "these heads have been checked on a multitude of levels".

Also the GM rep told me the reason it took so long to get the new heads was because the first order the dealer placed had to be cancelled and a different part number used. I'm going to try and find more out about that the next time I talk to her. I didn't think anything about it when I talked to her but after seeing the new heads were bare and the tech is installing all new parts I wonder if there isn't more to that story.

Bill
Thank you sir I have concluded "what is the point" if they replace with the SAME parts which created this issue. I might as well let it go 'boom' and let replace the whole dam engine.

I want my original engine though. This car willbe one of 'life-long' toys, especially aftert I retire in many moons. I want this car to be one of my past time hobbies after retirement.

There will NOT be any more 427 Vettes and I wanted one since I was a kid. My family understands this too. None of my family will touch this car b/c they know I like it.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:20 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Thank you sir I have concluded "what is the point" if they replace with the SAME parts which created this issue. I might as well let it go 'boom' and let replace the whole dam engine.

I want my original engine though. This car willbe one of 'life-long' toys, especially aftert I retire in many moons. I want this car to be one of my past time hobbies after retirement.

There will NOT be any more 427 Vettes and I wanted one since I was a kid. My family understands this too. None of my family will touch this car b/c they know I like it.
Exactly. What's the point of going through this hassle when GM has no correct method yet? Brand new cars are still getting bad guides. GM needs a written process beyond more of the same.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:22 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Again, I fully understand. So you are saying you have received the same 7 Form Letters that I have....right?

And I do understand that GM may have a legal obligation to me. I am after all asking for recourse to this issue even though I am currently out of warranty.

The difference is I am willing to give them time and the benefit of the doubt. I am addressing the problem through the channels they have provided. I do not see them turning a deaf ear to me. And nobody knows what actions they may take in the near future.

GO GM !!!

DH
No that's not what I'm saying. I'm done discussing things with you. Everything I had to say I've said and you barely seem to be reading my responses.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:54 PM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I wish you two would take your battle private.
I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of reading your $hit.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:56 PM
No4Play
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipmtim
^THIS.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm done discussing things with you. Everything I had to say I've said and you barely seem to be reading my responses.
It's about time. You've done nothing but clutter up this thread.
Originally Posted by ipmtim

Originally Posted by No4Play
^THIS.
But to be specific- my comments are not directed at DH. He's been and continues to be a good, solid contributor to the forum.

Last edited by Les; 10-27-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:09 PM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

No disrespect to DH, I'm surprised you took the bait.
Tim
Old 10-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Surviving 67
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand completely where you're coming from, many people here don't care. Even a lot of people that I talk to say why do you care, you're car has a warranty. But I myself like you want my car to be all original.

I even tried to go so far as to keep my original heads from GM but it was a no go. Anyone that knows anything about originality can look at my car now and see the heads don't have the correct part number on them. I'm not at all happy about this and I will keep on the look out for a set of heads with the correct numbers to buy and eventually have them installed.

I think this all stems to the fact that my dad has owned an original 67 427 car for the last 36 years and has never changed a thing on it. I know it was one of the reasons I bought the car I have now, because it has a 427 in it.

Bill
Old 10-27-2012, 05:17 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Les
It's about time. You've done nothing but clutter up this thread.

But to be specific- my comments are not directed at DH. He's been and continues to be a good, solid contributor to the forum.
Right. So me who has been correct since 2008 is a troll but DH is a wonderful member with invaluable contributions. Keep putting your head in the sand that's how GM likes it.

Get notified of new replies

To GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 10-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by billyjo
I understand completely where you're coming from, many people here don't care. Even a lot of people that I talk to say why do you care, you're car has a warranty. But I myself like you want my car to be all original.

I even tried to go so far as to keep my original heads from GM but it was a no go. Anyone that knows anything about originality can look at my car now and see the heads don't have the correct part number on them. I'm not at all happy about this and I will keep on the look out for a set of heads with the correct numbers to buy and eventually have them installed.

I think this all stems to the fact that my dad has owned an original 67 427 car for the last 36 years and has never changed a thing on it. I know it was one of the reasons I bought the car I have now, because it has a 427 in it.

Bill
I am there with you Bill, mine is the same as your car. I bought mine because I wanted a 427, wanted to be the original owner and wanted something unique; hence the Z06/Z07 and Inferno Orange...I am sick over this valve thing; especially after finding out about your car having the problem. Mine was built in late 2010 so I am sure it will also suffer the same fate.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Right. So me who has been correct since 2008 is a troll but DH is a wonderful member with invaluable contributions. Keep putting your head in the sand that's how GM likes it.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Okay, its mutual

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed