Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Mike,

What if you car is no longer covered under warranty and low mileage z06?
I would hope that since the failure rate is stated as very low that GM would give some slack on the warranty cut off date, a good will warranty if you will, if the failure could be attributed to the improperly machined guides....

I have an 09z with 7k that will be out of powertrain warranty next September. There are probably many out there with not much warranty left and low miles such as mine.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:19 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I know this summary is important information for all of us, but it still doesn't explain the high failure rate between '06-'08 model years. Lots of Zs of those years dropped valves, even stock.

Therefore, the information provided only tells us that '09-'11 years were affected with a QC issue; however, those are the years that we really don't see failure in, and I know low production numbers have a significant influence on that.

Still no explanation for the failures of early Z06s, therefore, I can assume there is no issue with them and all failures were just irrelevant according to this statement by GM.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTG
Most of the recent threads I have seen have been 08-09 models.
Agreed, it doesn't make sense. There are several documented failures for stock 08s and debatable stock 09s and 10s.

Not to mention, when modded, even mildly, they seem to break on all years.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Mike,

What if you car is no longer covered under warranty and low mileage z06?
This issue is not relevant to 06 models.

Originally Posted by CGGS
I was just going to ask that very question.

I just picked up an 09' Z06 with 11K miles and I only drive about 15K miles a year.

AND, mine seems to have a louder/more pronounced "ticking" sound then other Z06's I have test driven
Despite sporadic complaints and amplified Internet whining across various forums, GM has a very good track record of taking care of the customer.

If you have an 09, you're good until 14.

Here's the story --

If your car falls outside of warranty it doesn't mean you are susceptible to taking it on the chin. GM puts a lot of stock into extending goodwill to the customer. If you have a car that has elapsed the time period stated in the warranty but have very low mileage, you can still be a candidate for warranty work.

How?

This is handled through the dealers. If you feel your car is making a very loud rattle/chatter (not a tick-tick) you would take your car to the dealer. It's hard to explain what to listen for, but it's one of those things that you just know just isn't right. If you're in doubt, take it in. Right now there shouldn't be any cars that fall outside the warranty window as this is relevant to 09,10 and early 11 (Feb) models. The dealers have the authority to go to bat for a customer in cases like you are asking about here, a very low mileage car that may have this issue. After explaining your issue, the dealer may inform you that the work will have to be paid by you in the event there is no warranty work awarded. If so, you may have to decide if it's worth the few bucks to have them pull a cover and check for you, I think it would be. They will compare your car to others if available. If no issue is found, it would be advisable to have the service writer denote in your history that you did indeed bring your car in for such inspection in case something happens in the future.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LFZ
I know this summary is important information for all of us, but it still doesn't explain the high failure rate between '06-'08 model years. Lots of Zs of those years dropped valves, even stock.

Therefore, the information provided only tells us that '09-'11 years were affected with a QC issue; however, those are the years that we really don't see failure in, and I know low production numbers have a significant influence on that.

Still no explanation for the failures of early Z06s, therefore, I can assume there is no issue with them and all failures were just irrelevant according to this statement by GM.
Good points.

I agree that these thoughts by GM only reflects issues caused by the the 09-11 milling/geometry issues and not the other valve guide wear issue folks are concerned about.

And for that issue, I don't think that issue is isolated to 06-08s and I think this affected every MY. On a car with mods that exasperate the issue, every year fails the same way, so I'm led to believe there have been no changes, and over time the newer cars will eventually fail when stock. I do believe that the low production numbers and the fact they are newer are likely the reason why we haven't heard wide spread reports. Debatable reports of 09-10s have started to trickle in and I suspect we'll see more as time goes on.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LFZ
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Agreed, it doesn't make sense. There are several documented failures for stock 08s and debatable stock 09s and 10s.

Not to mention, when modded, even mildly, they seem to break on all years.
Stay tuned guys...

As far as modded cars, that's Pandora's box with countless permutations of possibilities from bolt-on, suspension, tires, et al so I'm not going to touch it. I will say this, there are plenty of 'mild' mods available that can in fact expedite engine failure that many owners may not realize. If you're going to mod, go big!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Mark923
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
How about I make this a sticky thread and we can direct everyone else here for answers.
Thanks very much for placing this information where it is easy to locate.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Stay tuned guys...

As far as modded cars, that's Pandora's box with countless permutations of possibilities from bolt-on, suspension, tires, et al so I'm not going to touch it. I will say this, there are plenty of 'mild' mods available that can in fact expedite engine failure that many owners may not realize. If you're going to mod, go big!
Thanks Mike, I'll stay tuned and I'm looking forward to learning more. I appreciate your insights.

BTW, that is sort of my point in terms of the overall exhaust valve issue (not the 09-11 milling problem). I agree that engine mods can exasperate the issue and because they fail the same exact way on early cars vs late cars, that nothing was actually done to resolve it for any of the years.

This 09-11 milling issue is just another root cause on top of the existing guide wear issue.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 08-31-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:20 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Thanks Mike, I'll stay tuned and I'm looking forward to learning more. I appreciate your insights.

BTW, that is sort of my point in terms of the overall exhaust valve issue (not the 09-11 milling problem). I agree that engine mods can exasperate the issue and because they fail the same exact way on early cars vs late cars, that nothing was actually done to resolve it for any of the years.

This 09-11 milling issue is just another root cause on top of the existing guide wear issue.
Jawnathan, the "milling issue" as earlier described, "the heads were milled wrong where the rocker arms are mounted" and which stirred a frenzy of talk on buying aftermarket heads, because stock heads had incorrect CNC milling, appears at this point, to be a non issue.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-restored.html

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
.....The root cause was the heads were milled wrong where the rocker arms are mounted. This caused the rocker to come down at an angle which in turn pushed the valve down wrong which in turn made the valve stem and valve guide wear out prematurely.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
as earlier described,
Quick,

a big thank you for all your efforts in categorizing a lot of data and the ability to pull it up at will. You're a big reason this was easy to submit and get answers!

Mike
Old 08-31-2012, 07:51 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Good points.

I agree that these thoughts by GM only reflects issues caused by the the 09-11 milling/geometry issues and not the other valve guide wear issue folks are concerned about.

And for that issue, I don't think that issue is isolated to 06-08s and I think this affected every MY. On a car with mods that exasperate the issue, every year fails the same way, so I'm led to believe there have been no changes, and over time the newer cars will eventually fail when stock. I do believe that the low production numbers and the fact they are newer are likely the reason why we haven't heard wide spread reports. Debatable reports of 09-10s have started to trickle in and I suspect we'll see more as time goes on.
So we're basically back to square one and the guessing game unless GM addresses that too.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Quick,

a big thank you for all your efforts in categorizing a lot of data and the ability to pull it up at will. You're a big reason this was easy to submit and get answers!

Mike
Thank you so much for the kind words Mike.

It is good to know that my efforts did not go unnoticed.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ

This is not clear to me. Are those of us with 09-11 models sitting on ticking time bombs ? Am I to understand that only a small sample of engines from each of these years could have a problem ? That does not make sense.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Quick,

Mike

Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Mike

Thank you for this information it sure makes me feel better.

From one of your VIR students.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Unless we have build dates or a number of failures GM has seen we are still in a guessing game as to if you could fail or not. All it would mean is GM is admitting an issue for some and/or all Z06s but those people out of warranty are SOL
Old 08-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CGGS
I was just going to ask that very question.

I just picked up an 09' Z06 with 11K miles and I only drive about 15K miles a year.

AND, mine seems to have a louder/more pronounced "ticking" sound then other Z06's I have test driven
I bought an 09Z new 24 months ago. There is some ticking at low RPM. The dealer I use had that info placed in the service records in case I have a problem at a latter date.

Get notified of new replies

To GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleman
I bought an 09Z new 24 months ago. There is some ticking at low RPM. The dealer I use had that info placed in the service records in case I have a problem at a latter date.
I have heard that the low rpm ticking could be normal for the engine just like the first gear marbles in a can rattle due to torque tube vibration is normal for the car. It really depends on how loud it is. I would think that valvetrain noise as discussed here would exist at all rpm but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone with more experience will answer this.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kinda funny that only cars still under warranty are mentioned as the problem units. I imagine GM would open quite a can of worms to admit the problem has been around since the 2006MY.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:01 AM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of you know my close relationship with Team Corvette and how accurate and truthful my posts are -- those that don't will have to decide for yourself what you do, or do not want to believe. Unfortunately in this high tech age I concede anyone with a keyboard can be a self-proclaimed expert so it's tough to filter out all the misinformation these days.

JVP posted this information in another thread, but it was buried after over 500 posts, so this is for the benefit of many who gave up on that thread, or never saw it.

I was going to post this some time ago but refrained. The recent hysteria over the valve guide issue has been inconceivable as it's come to a point where any failure or issue with the car, even a flat tire was blamed on valve guides.

I posted to substantiate this information is correct.

Furthermore;

If a car makes it through even a fraction of the 100k mile warranty, it is built properly and will have a complete service life.

As far as excessive noise mentioned, it doesn't have to be excessive but more-so not normal or unusual.

If your car is under warranty stop fretting a go enjoy each drive.
If your car is modified you run the risk of spending your own dime for repair, no news here.

There are legitimate failures as with any machine, but there are a countless number of failures that occur due to owner abuse, whether realized or not. In conjunction with the team, I will be providing forthcoming preventative maintenance tips.

The Z06 is a street car, not a race car and if you drive it as such, you have to prep it as such.

Lastly:

Katech has chimed in multiple times with helpful information. If there is an issue, it's not a matter of simply replacing the valves (edit-I had guides here originally and didn't catch the error before posting) like many have suggested, there's more to it and Katech's approach is correct. I'm not singling Katech out as the only shop credible as I know there are other builders, but merely the only shop I can personally vouch for and one that my GM friends approve.

Hopefully this will put a rest to the LS7 paranoia.

I will follow up with any additional questions posed here.

Mike
"GM discovered the problem through their cylinder head warranty data; it went from nearly 0 to a peak of 6.5 problems per thousand engines."

So before 2009 there have been no problems with dropped valves? Really?

"If a car makes it through even a fraction of the 100k mile warranty, it is built properly and will have a complete service life."

Define fraction 10%, 20% or is it 50%. There are cars with low miles dropping valves including 06' through 08's. I am having a hard time believing this.

Last edited by achilds; 09-01-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed