Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by kattigrr
I've always read the LS7 comments and felt bad for the ones it affected. Now it's my turn ...

My 2009 Z06 blew it's engine 80 days out of warranty and 40k miles on the engine. GM has agreed to replace the engine. They are going 60/40 with me and since the car is out of warranty I don't feel bad about the outcome.

The car has been to a few driving events (not racing) but is stock. No tunes and that really helped. The black box showed 70mph at failure and all stock calibrations. The dealer told me if there had been a tune it would not have been covered at all. I've learned a ton about how warranties work through this process.

In my case my dealer really helped and GM gave me a fair deal.
Too bad it didn't let go 81 days ago

DH
Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I've always read the LS7 comments and felt bad for the ones it affected. Now it's my turn ...

My 2009 Z06 blew it's engine 80 days out of warranty and 40k miles on the engine. GM has agreed to replace the engine. They are going 60/40 with me and since the car is out of warranty I don't feel bad about the outcome.

The car has been to a few driving events (not racing) but is stock. No tunes and that really helped. The black box showed 70mph at failure and all stock calibrations. The dealer told me if there had been a tune it would not have been covered at all. I've learned a ton about how warranties work through this process.

Did they tell you what failed in the engine?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh this is terrible. Glad GM is stepping up!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:22 AM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

My car is at England Green today, and when they pull the heads I'll have some pictures made and let everyone know what we uncover.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:52 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lucky the dealer helped you and GM stepped up to help pay for a portion of your repairs. I spoke to my dealer (Cormier Chevrolet in SoCal where I bought my Z06 new, and they changed ownership to WIN Chevrolet), and they were not interested in working on my car since it was out of warranty and didn't show any signs of a problem. The service writer I spoke with was going to check on the guide wear and never got back to me, so I went to an independent shop. I complained to GM about the overall wear problems of these engines (mostly to voice my opinion about how common this problem really appears to be) and they said since my car wasn't being fixed at a dealer that they wouldn't help me, even though my car only has 31k miles and looks brand new.

My advice to anyone: If your LS7 has over 20k miles, take it to a dealer (hopefully a knowledgeable one) and have the guides checked. At least then you have a shot at GM helping to pay for a portion of the repair.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:03 PM
kattigrr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not definitively, but when they pulled the heads you could see the damage, pretty extensive and it was most likely the valve guide issue we've been discussing. Cracked the cylinder wall, sheared bolts, metal all over the place.

Just wish I had gone for an extended warranty ... But soon she will have a new engine and I can't wait to drive the hill country
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Not definitively, but when they pulled the heads you could see the damage, pretty extensive and it was most likely the valve guide issue we've been discussing. Cracked the cylinder wall, sheared bolts, metal all over the place.

Just wish I had gone for an extended warranty ... But soon she will have a new engine and I can't wait to drive the hill country
Any pics?

What condition were the valves in?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 AM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Well since noone really seems to post some good news about this:

- 2008 Z06 49k miles is clean, but having ported/polished and valve job done anyways since it's out already.
Attached Images      
Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

So did you test/measure the valves and found that they were within tolerance?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Vettes R Us
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Drop my 09 Z bone stock 18K miles off this morning and asked if they would check the valve guides and since no listening issues, it would be an out of pocket expensive. $385 bucks... Good thing I have the GMPP and will not be letting it expire. Long live the warranty... I just hate not having them checked to prevent this same issue but if I paid for a GMPP, why should I have to pay more to have preventive work dive to save a possible huge issue?

There is clearly a problem with these engines. I guess until we see a TB these will be case by case.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettes R Us
Drop my 09 Z bone stock 18K miles off this morning and asked if they would check the valve guides and since no listening issues, it would be an out of pocket expensive. $385 bucks... Good thing I have the GMPP and will not be letting it expire. Long live the warranty... I just hate not having them checked to prevent this same issue but if I paid for a GMPP, why should I have to pay more to have preventive work dive to save a possible huge issue?

There is clearly a problem with these engines. I guess until we see a TB these will be case by case.
I'm in the boat with you on my 08. GMPP until 2015 or about 20k more miles. Probably won't have the car then though. I refuse to live with their mistake and know there won't be a fix at this point. Too bad too because I really like the car and think it represents something very special.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM
kattigrr
Heel & Toe

Default engine pics

Not Pretty - so glad my dealer got GM to help
Attached Images   
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Not Pretty - so glad my dealer got GM to help
Looks like a broken exhaust valve.

Good thing that they are going to pick up some of the cost for you. I hope they're picking up the 60 of that 60/40

Good luck kattigrr.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-16-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

You say GM gave you a fair deal??? They (GM) certainly knows there is a problem here....engines w/less than 100k "street" driven miles blowing up, or swallowing it's own valve is NOT normal in this day and age.

I'm glad you think GM gave you a fair deal when they know it IS a issue....personally, I think it stinks and mars these otherwise great cars reputation....
Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tim414

I'm glad you think GM gave you a fair deal when they know it IS a issue....personally, I think it stinks and mars these otherwise great cars reputation....
They should have paid 100%!!! With only 80 days out of warranty, and only 40K, and stock tune. GM KNOWNS these engines are TICKING TIME BOMBS!!!

GM is a BIG sport......
Old 10-16-2013, 01:41 PM
kattigrr
Heel & Toe

those are good points and believe me, I went through the gamut of responses/emotions when it happened

emotionally - I was freaking pissed, never should have happened, stock engine, only 40k miles, etc... my first conversation with GM was not friendly
logically - the engine should last longer and there definitely appears to be known issues, GM should cover
legally - I didn't have a leg to stand on - it was out of warranty and without my dealer's help GM would have said no. So in the end, I'm okay with the outcome.

The bottom line is I still love this car and it will get fixed. In the meantime I'm keeping my emotions in check
Old 10-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

those are good points and believe me, I went through the gamut of responses/emotions when it happened

emotionally - I was freaking pissed, never should have happened, stock engine, only 40k miles, etc... my first conversation with GM was not friendly
logically - the engine should last longer and there definitely appears to be known issues, GM should cover
legally - I didn't have a leg to stand on - it was out of warranty and without my dealer's help GM would have said no. So in the end, I'm okay with the outcome.

The bottom line is I still love this car and it will get fixed. In the meantime I'm keeping my emotions in check
You should get a 12mo/12K mile warranty automatically. I would ask for an extended warranty on the motor.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed

Old 10-16-2013, 02:02 PM
kattigrr
Heel & Toe

asked my dealer and he said the new one comes with a 3yr/100k mile warranty
Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Man, do you have a great attitude.

I was thinking about this earlier, that I would have demanded that they cover 100% of the cost, as it is a known issue, and that they were just throwing you a bone by offering to cover some of it, and hoping that you would take it and not put up a fight for anything more.

But that likely would never have worked.

You are right. You really don't, from a legal standpoint, have a leg to stand on because the actual warranty is up.

In your case, whether they're covering the 60 or the 40, at least you're not covering all of it, and that's a good thing.

How soon should they have it back running for you?.

You say GM gave you a fair deal??? They (GM) certainly knows there is a problem here....engines w/less than 100k "street" driven miles blowing up, or swallowing it's own valve is NOT normal in this day and age.

Originally Posted by NHRA95
They should have paid 100%!!! With only 80 days out of warranty, and only 40K, and stock tune. GM KNOWNS these engines are TICKING TIME BOMBS!!!

GM is a BIG sport......
Guys I was earlier thinking the same thing. That GM was doing nothing but throwing him a bone by offering to cover some of it, and hoping that he would just take it.

But that's probably not the case.

GM is holding all the cards here, and since the warranty is up, they are not really bound to offer him any relief whatsoever if they don't want to.

asked my dealer and he said the new one comes with a 3yr/100k mile warranty
Well, I know that it was an expense that you would have rather had a choice in making.

But one way to look at it, is that for your share of the cost, you're getting hopefully a brand new engine, with a 3 year warranty on it.

Now whether or not you would have taken this "deal", if offered, while your car was running, is anyone's guess.

At least you would have had the "choice" to say "yes" or "no".

But in this instance, well, for a "less than retail price", you're about to purchase a new engine with a 3 yr warranty on it.

Whether you were in the market to do so, or not.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-16-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 PM
JV016
Heel & Toe

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM response to LS7 valve guide issue summary confirmed