Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What is my Z worth with blown engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
Sorry to say, but since it's worth so little (compared to what the car cost,) it might benefit you to donate the car, as is, to your local high school or community college auto shop. Check with your tax person.
Originally Posted by IrishC6
That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing now. My Z took a crap on me last weekend. This was the most economical fix for me. I got quoted 10k out the door.
IrishC6 sorry to hear of your mishap.

It just crapped out this past weekend?

I saw one of your earlier posts from just a few days ago:

I took it in to have the valves and guides replaced. A little machining done to freshen them up as well. No tuning was done.
You had this work done and it still crapped out?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
IrishC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
IrishC6 sorry to hear of your mishap.

It just crapped out this past weekend?

I saw one of your earlier posts from just a few data ago:

You had this work done and it still crapped out?
Yeah, but I'm not one of those guys that are blaming the LS7. I'll admit, I was nervous so I had the headwork done. Which now looks like a waste of money lol. I ended up and spun a bearing and destroyed the bottom end. No signs of drop in oil pressure, but what's done is done. I purchased the car as a multiple owner. No mods were done, but there was evidence that it had been driven hard. I knew that going in and I accepted it. It was at the price that I needed it for my budget. Looking back, I was way too impatient for a purchase this significant. If I would've waited, saved a little more money, and done more research, I'm confident I'd still be driving a hell of a car. There are now plans to sell after the rebuild. And if I had the money I would not hesitate to throw another LS7 in it. It's my fault, and I accept that.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:16 PM
IrishC6
Racer

Sorry, I meant there are NO plans to sell after rebuild. I'm on my phone and sometimes it's hard to type long explanations.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I meant there are NO plans to sell after rebuild. I'm on my phone and sometimes it's hard to type long explanations.

On the bright side, it should be nearly bullet-proof with the rebuild once you're done. Be sure to post about your experiences and on your progress - we need a little more enthusiasm in this forum.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Good luck! Who are you going to have rebuild the engine?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Assuming the rest of the car is in good condition $20k max.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
IrishC6
Racer

Originally Posted by Random84

On the bright side, it should be nearly bullet-proof with the rebuild once you're done. Be sure to post about your experiences and on your progress - we need a little more enthusiasm in this forum.
I agree 100% I'll start a new thread once the build gets underway.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
IrishC6
Racer

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Good luck! Who are you going to have rebuild the engine?
21st Century Muscle Cars in Addison. John is a standup guy and is always willing to work with you.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

morris is exactly right .We are not talking a rebuild here we are talking putting another engine in and that is definitely going to hurt the value it spells: abused, killed ,tortured ,too modified.If you get a real 20 k for it as is dump it unless you are going to buy another z06 then fix it.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:55 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah, but I'm not one of those guys that are blaming the LS7. I'll admit, I was nervous so I had the headwork done. Which now looks like a waste of money lol. I ended up and spun a bearing and destroyed the bottom end. No signs of drop in oil pressure, but what's done is done. I purchased the car as a multiple owner. No mods were done, but there was evidence that it had been driven hard. I knew that going in and I accepted it. It was at the price that I needed it for my budget. Looking back, I was way too impatient for a purchase this significant. If I would've waited, saved a little more money, and done more research, I'm confident I'd still be driving a hell of a car. There are now plans to sell after the rebuild. And if I had the money I would not hesitate to throw another LS7 in it. It's my fault, and I accept that.

Sorry for your misfortune.

I was just saying the other day, there are no guarantees.

You get the top end done with the fix and you drop an intake valve, or have a bearing failure.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:31 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
The problem I see with that is...

If someone were to spend $35-37k to make it right, why not just go buy one for that price that doesn't need all the work?
If you are going to be spending the same amount, then I would rather have a brand new engine with 0 miles - IMO.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
If you are going to be spending the same amount, then I would rather have a brand new engine with 0 miles - IMO.
It's more of a hassle to get the motor and install it than to just buy one already running. Time alone is worth big $$ here. If they were both running then that's a different story.

I'll agree with most of the posters, $20k max. I would offer $15k if I were buying it because I'd be looking at another $15k plus time to get it on the road. My .02
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

21st Century Muscle Cars in Addison. John is a standup guy and is always willing to work with you.
Irish call me Ill lead you in the right direction im in Dallas. 972-824-0793
Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,964 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by spartanc6z06
Just wondering if anyone has knowledge regarding what my 06 Z is worth with a blown engine, as there is a few people interested if i decide not to rebuild. I have heard of people selling them this way but never got a good idea on price averages from searching.

06 black 2LZ NAV 32000 miles 2 owner clean title. Rod hanging out driver side of block so its catastrophic on the buttom end. Not sure if heads can be rebuilt as nothing was opened up to see. Extras include..

Callaway
RR ported FAST 102
NW 102 TB
FAST rails, steel lines
1 7/8 AR catless longtubes
Corsa prototypes
MGW shifter, race ****
corvettemods lowering bolts
Nitto Invos with 50 miles on em
DEKA 36L lightweight battery
MSD ignition

Extras inside that is unknown for condition..

Katech C5R timing chain
Manley Nextek .700 dual springs
Titanium retainers
240/260 .661/ 109 cam

Thanks in advance. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section eh. Cheers.
The big problem with selling it with a blown engine is you reduce the number of potential buyers by quite a bit. No matter whether you fix it or not you will already have lost a bunch since a blown engine is something that will chase off a certain number of people because they figure the car has been abused. If you fix the car properly you will still get people who know more than the average joe considering it. If you don't fix it you will lose a certain percentage of that group since there are so many cars available with a good engine and why go through the hassle of buying a car that needs an engine. That leaves you with the smallest group of people who aren't nervous about replacing an engine but will be looking for a financial incentive to take on the bother. With that group you will be lucky to get $20K since they will consider the cost of an LS7 installed at around $15 to $17K and will be looking for a total cost invested that will be about $5K less than a comparable car that has a good engine. They figure their time is worth something and will low ball the car since they know they won't have much competition.

Bill
Old 08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Beach Bum
I'd get it running.... and then sell it, it'll be considerably easier to sell it.

You might want to consider one of these in the link.... considerably less than I think some of the new engine solutions I hear about on the forum at under 10k. Nice boost in power too.

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/19244611

I assume they'd work.... don't know anything more about it.

That LSX454 will end up costing probably more than the LS7 because he cannot use the LS7 heads on the 454 , so he still needs a lot of parts. Might be better to look for another LS7 (used).

While I do not know OP's situation, it may not be option for him to replace new (crate) anyway.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

ERL sells a LS7 short block with forged pistons and forged steel rods for $5800...
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Yeah, but I'm not one of those guys that are blaming the LS7. I'll admit, I was nervous so I had the headwork done. Which now looks like a waste of money lol. I ended up and spun a bearing and destroyed the bottom end.
Man that is awful. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

This is a good lesson on people offering a "fix".

Get notified of new replies

To What is my Z worth with blown engine?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Dam, sorry to see. I'm in the Metro area as well (Arlington). Do you plan to go w/another LS7 or something else?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Man that is awful. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

This is a good lesson on people offering a "fix".
Its doesnt fix everything possible. Lets not turn this into a debate the op already said he didnt want that.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 PM
IrishC6
Racer

Originally Posted by tim414
Dam, sorry to see. I'm in the Metro area as well (Arlington). Do you plan to go w/another LS7 or something else?
Haven't really decided yet. I'm not really in the best financial situation. I have about an 10k out the door budget. And that's taking a loan out from my company. I know a lot of people will prob say its dumb, but I was thinking about going with an LS3 stroker 427 with nice components. It's in my price point and it will make descent hp.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What is my Z worth with blown engine?