Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2010 ZO6 DROPPED EXHAUST VALVE...! Video...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
I'll have to order a couple of the new part numbers if I cant get them from WCCH...I can't believe they can make this valve for 28$ that is F'ing ridiculous, that's like 1.5 lap dances. Haha....maybe this is the reason there has been variation, the cost doesn't justify QC time??

For me, seeing the thin walls in this valve and the variation in the other immediately turns into differential thermal profiles on all these valves. Which would explain why the tunes have actually had an effect on them. If valve X has a nice even .039 wall versus valve Y at .029 the amount of thermal stress and fatigue They both see is going to be wildly different. Let's hope the new ones had a beefed, more uniform wall. I would still like to see .050 of wall in there, it just seems so thin to be in exhaust temperatures of 1200F-1600F and repeatedly hammered open and snapped shut.
I could be way off here , but your comment about the tune ' could this by why these cars come pig rich from the factory ? Is this the safety they built in ... But then I guess that does not account for stock failures
Old 07-28-2012, 12:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How does GM do part number changes? Everyplace I ever worked when a part of the assembly had its part number changed the next higher assembly/assemblies changed part numbers as well so engineering/manufacturing/field support knew the configuration of the item they were working on. Based on that experience and not knowing how you would keep track of things any other way I assume if the top level part number is the same the complete assembly is the same as assemblies that were produced earlier.

Bill
I'm not sure that I follow what you mean here Bill.

GM changed the part number of the axle shaft assembly at least 3 times, but I don't know that the "next higher assembly/assemblies", i.e. the differential, part number was changed. Can anyone show that it was?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1554454411
Old 07-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,003 Likes on 5,370 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I'm not sure that I follow what you mean here Bill.

GM changed the part number of the axle shaft assembly at least 3 times, but I don't know that the "next higher assembly/assemblies", i.e. the differential, part number was changed.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1554454411
Basically, the rule where I worked was if a bolt changed part numbers the assembly the bolt went in changed part numbers, and the next higher assembly changed numbers as well all the way to the top assembly. That way we knew how each assembly had been built and could use that information when supporting the assemblies in the field. This gets is more important nowadays when a piece of hardware may have logic configuration code programmed into a memory and you need to verify if the part you have in your hand has the latest logic configuration or is at a back level. When your top level assembly is a helicopter you need to know its configuration in order to provide proper maintenance and field support.

Bill
Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Basically, the rule where I worked was if a bolt changed part numbers the assembly the bolt went in changed part numbers, and the next higher assembly changed numbers as well all the way to the top assembly. That way we knew how each assembly had been built and could use that information when supporting the assemblies in the field. This gets is more important nowadays when a piece of hardware may have logic configuration code programmed into a memory and you need to verify if the part you have in your hand has the latest logic configuration or is at a back level. When your top level assembly is a helicopter you need to know its configuration in order to provide proper maintenance and field support.

Bill
Well, I certainly won't argue that point with you Bill.

But there is no question, that part number for the valves has changed, and without changing the part number for the engines.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

Genuine Original Equipment Replacement Parts
All Vehicles - 2012 - CHEVROLET - CORVETTE - Z06
Select Section
ALTERNATOR
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
BODY HARDWARE
BRAKES
CLUTCH
COOLING SYSTEM
ELECTRICAL
EMISSION SYSTEM
ENGINE
EXHAUST SYSTEM
FRONT SUSPENSION
FUEL SYSTEM
HVAC
MAINTENANCE & LUBRICATION
MANUAL TRANSMISSION
REAR SUSPENSION
STARTER
STEERING
STEERING COLUMN
UNIVERSALS & REAR AXLE

Part # / Keyword Search

Clear Search

Searching for: 12578455
Clear Search

Part Number "12578455" was found for CHEVROLET, but we could not verify the part fits the selected vehicle.
You may still purchase this part below.

Part Number was superceded!
Quick Order
Old Part Number 12578455
New Part Number 12618110
Part Name EXHAUST VALVE
MSRP $40.08
Online Price $29.18

Genuine Original Equipment Replacement Parts
All Vehicles - 2006 - CHEVROLET - CORVETTE - Z06
Select Section
ALTERNATOR
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
BODY HARDWARE
BRAKES
CLUTCH
COOLING SYSTEM
ELECTRICAL
EMISSION SYSTEM
ENGINE
EXHAUST SYSTEM
FRONT SUSPENSION
FUEL SYSTEM
HVAC
MAINTENANCE & LUBRICATION
MANUAL TRANSMISSION
REAR SUSPENSION
STARTER
STEERING
STEERING COLUMN
UNIVERSALS & REAR AXLE

Part # / Keyword Search

Clear Search

Searching for: 12578455
Clear Search

Part Number "12578455" was found for CHEVROLET, but we could not verify the part fits the selected vehicle.
You may still purchase this part below.

Part Number was superceded!
Quick Order
Old Part Number 12578455
New Part Number 12618110

Part Name EXHAUST VALVE
MSRP $40.08
Online Price $29.18

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chadyellowz06
Awesome Post..This is Chad formerly known as Z0sicktanner....I aplogize to anyone I have offended in the past. I just got very frustrated because I felt like nobody was listening to me. I'm not here to cause problems. All I ever wanted to do was help.
So you're "back?"

Admit it - you love this forum, and you love the drama! It's like an automotive crack pipe (or doritos?): you can't just do it once and quit.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:24 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick, and everyone else
I am using a milling machine with a carbide endmill, and i would advise anyone who cuts these open to be VERY CAREFUL. Sodium is a HIGHLY reactive alkali metal and will burn your skin if it comes in contact with it. I was tossing these in a stainless sink and running water on them to evacuate the sodium. Also the sodium will react with the atmospheric moisture and start to sweat and bubble. you can see it in this picture.

Sodium fill by DSeddon1, on Flickr

I'm using an optical measurement system to assess the wall on these.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Quick, and everyone else
I am using a milling machine with a carbide endmill, and i would advise anyone who cuts these open to be VERY CAREFUL. Sodium is a HIGHLY reactive alkali metal and will burn your skin if it comes in contact with it. I was tossing these in a stainless sink and running water on them to evacuate the sodium. Also the sodium will react with the atmospheric moisture and start to sweat and bubble. you can see it in this picture.

Holy crap look how much thinner the left wall is!

Thanks for your contributions, 240sx!
Old 07-28-2012, 02:38 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Quick, and everyone else

Those walls are scary thin!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Great research being done here.

Is there a part number for a replacement LS7 head? If so, one could replace their current heads and be done, right?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:16 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

What are the implications of a too thin valve sidewall?

Does it distort with high temp? That could explain much, if so.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:00 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I think what 240sx is saying that the thinner side of the stem wall will transfer more heat in to the guide. From there the oil begins to cook and form deposits that eat into the guide and wear it out quicker. Also the added heat will weaken that section of the stem and make it brittle.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 PM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by vertC6
I think what 240sx is saying that the thinner side of the stem wall will transfer more heat in to the guide. From there the oil begins to cook and form deposits that eat into the guide and wear it out quicker. Also the added heat will weaken that section of the stem and make it brittle.
it's the valves would bet anything on it...I just ordered 3 exhaust valves knew ones will have more info in a week...
Old 07-28-2012, 05:32 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Could the Mobil 1 5w 30 be a factor too? (just curious)
Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

it's the valves would bet anything on it...I just ordered 3 exhaust valves knew ones will have more info in a week...

Glad to see you're back!
Can't wait to see the results. Hoping these valves shed some light on the situation. I want to thank you and 240sx2jz for doing this!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:59 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Does anyone have any LS6 valves they could send to 240sx2jz?
Old 07-28-2012, 06:05 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Tanner,

I am extremely interested in the broken 2010 valve. Any way this dealership will let you keep it? I will pay the owner both for it and shipping to 240sx for our analysis. Not joking.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 PM
SRVfan09
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Bill
Bill,

In my industry (pharma) we go by lot coding/dating of all materials that go into a finished product. For example, I can trace any lot of product back to the origin of each raw material via lot coding/dating of each raw material (whether they be chemical, component, reference standards etc). Generally speaking, the next higher number doesn't change, only the version number of the material being changed. Maybe they use something of that sort.

I'm envisioning someone looking at an engine build date and being able to go back to the mfg documents for that engine and detail out exactly what went into it. Not sure if they are that detailed...but we have to be in pharma.

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 ZO6 DROPPED EXHAUST VALVE...! Video...

Old 07-28-2012, 07:31 PM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by valet_devil
Tanner,

I am extremely interested in the broken 2010 valve. Any way this dealership will let you keep it? I will pay the owner both for it and shipping to 240sx for our analysis. Not joking.
Ok I will see what I can do..I will call my friend now with the blown 2010...I'm sure we can get what you need ...he is friends with the owner.........thanks guys all I ever wanted was to help you all...and to save an Awesome car...it's the valves guys. can't prove this 100% but I would bet my house on it
Old 07-28-2012, 07:33 PM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbosixx
Glad to see you're back!
Can't wait to see the results. Hoping these valves shed some light on the situation. I want to thank you and 240sx2jz for doing this!
Glad to be back...and thank you soo much for the kind words
Old 07-28-2012, 08:14 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok I will see what I can do..I will call my friend now with the blown 2010...I'm sure we can get what you need ...he is friends with the owner.........thanks guys all I ever wanted was to help you all...and to save an Awesome car...it's the valves guys. can't prove this 100% but I would bet my house on it
Thanks!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2010 ZO6 DROPPED EXHAUST VALVE...! Video...