Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Possible cause of valve failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:59 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Default Possible cause of valve failure

I know we're all sick of these threads, but I ran across this in another section of the cf forum and thought it was really interesting. I thought I would pass it on. It's a wonder our cars even run at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_REQ1PUM0rY
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

That spring motion and valve wobble is very interesting.......
Old 07-22-2012, 02:53 PM
flea_sly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beat that horse boys, beat it good.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:12 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

This was just discussed the other day. LG and Livernois Motorsports said many of the failures, especially with modded Z's, is due to poor setups. The wrong combination of parts. Alot of that being "under spring'd"
These companies are not seeing the problems some others are.
I know LG spintron tests all there cam packages and uses the high end comp valve springs.

Last edited by ClarksZ06; 07-22-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by flea_sly
Here we go again!

I must admit these threads going up daily and reshashing the same crap with nothing getting accomplished, except negative energy and debates going back and forth between the same people, is starting to become comical to me.

What is not comical is how this same old crap beging rehased over, and over and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, has chased away many stand up C6 Z owners from frequenting the C6 Z section of the forum, and does not make it enjoyable for many more to come here to frequent this section anymore.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 07-22-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:38 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Old 07-22-2012, 03:49 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a question... How close is the water jacket to the guides in a LS7...? Maybe it's a heat issue... Im not here to blame the LS7 anymore but I'd like to know why STOCK cars have failed... Like others have stated maybe is a cooling issue causing the premature wear in the guides... Maybe the exhaust valve is expanding cause wear due to poor cooling... Now don't flame me I'm just putting it out there... My car is almost done so I'll be back out soon...!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:11 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 BUD
Here's a question... How close is the water jacket to the guides in a LS7...? Maybe it's a heat issue... Im not here to blame the LS7 anymore but I'd like to know why STOCK cars have failed... Like others have stated maybe is a cooling issue causing the premature wear in the guides... Maybe the exhaust valve is expanding cause wear due to poor cooling... Now don't flame me I'm just putting it out there... My car is almost done so I'll be back out soon...!
If the water jacket is too far away from the valve guides, then why haven't most if not all LS7s failed?

Especially those in hot climates.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-22-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:26 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Well friend of mine was doing some measuring on my heads and on a couple sets of LS1, LS2, LS6 heads and the jackets are much closer is those heads compared to the LS7... I wish everyone had the time to pull their heads and check guide wear cause I'm pretty sure every 06-08 heads out there would have some excessive wear... Now Quick dont flame me on my wording or pick at the small things im saying just try to look pass that... I'm not here to harp on the LS7 anymore... I've gotten a report from a friend with a 2010 ZO6 that just dropped a exhaust valve with only 12k miles and JUST a CAI without a tune... I'm gonna try to get more info on driving style and everything else you look for to see what's at fault... As soon as I know more you will know... As for the cooling.. It may not cause failure but it might have to do with the guide wear people are finding...
Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

A shop up hear in Canada called Champion Motors does a head cooling mod to the rear of the heads... I need to ask them more of why they do it and what exactly done cause I haven't ever seen any one or shop talk about it too..
Old 07-22-2012, 04:42 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ClarksZ06
This was just discussed the other day. LG and Livernois Motorsports said many of the failures, especially with modded Z's, is due to poor setups. The wrong combination of parts. Alot of that being "under spring'd"
These companies are not seeing the problems some others are.
I know LG spintron tests all there cam packages and uses the high end comp valve springs.
Can you point to the thread where this was discussed?

I'd be interested in reading what they have to say.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:50 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Well friend of mine was doing some measuring on my heads and on a couple sets of LS1, LS2, LS6 heads and the jackets are much closer is those heads compared to the LS7... I wish everyone had the time to pull their heads and check guide wear cause I'm pretty sure every 06-08 heads out there would have some excessive wear... Now Quick dont flame me on my wording or pick at the small things im saying just try to look pass that... I'm not here to harp on the LS7 anymore... I've gotten a report from a friend with a 2010 ZO6 that just dropped a exhaust valve with only 12k miles and JUST a CAI without a tune... I'm gonna try to get more info on driving style and everything else you look for to see what's at fault... As soon as I know more you will know... As for the cooling.. It may not cause failure but it might have to do with the guide wear people are finding...
Well Bud, first off, nobody is here to "flame" you, but that part in bold, may or may not be true.

Forum member ConfusedGarage, has an '06 and his guides were fine. At least one other member, EViL427 with an '08, discovered the same thing after having his guides measured.

In addition to that, it has been mentioned several times that valve guide wear, in and of itself, might not even be a guarantee of valve failure as there are cars out there with in excess of 100,000 miles, which have not suffered a valve failure, but probably have at least one valve guide worn out of spec.

Finally, as for the 2010 which has "dropped a valve". There have been, 5,263 Z06s built since 2009 model year. One known example of a car from out of that lot, does not indicate a thing, and is likely well within the number of expected failures.

To wit, there has been ONE known example of a valve spring failure of a 2009 on this forum, yet we don't view that as an epidemic among 2009 cars.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-22-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:22 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

First off who said that I was indicating anything about 2009 and up failures.. I was just saying one did fail... Not that it means they are all gonna fail too... You read too much into what I posted... Also I was talking about excessive guide wear not about it leading to failure... Let's replace every with most... Again like I said don't read too much into what I've posted... Your putting words in my mouth now or words in a post I didnt post...
Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by flea_sly
I love your avitar. Dont mess with the Picard lol.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:22 PM
C6CorvetteZ51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great now the 2010s are dropping valves. The car is almost new. There is no excuse for this. Dont even bother saying its only one. Its just the only one reported. I would bet after all this time owners arnt bothering to report their own due to the resell value droping. Only going to hear this from others. Flame suit on I only say this because im a potiental buyer and i dont want this covered up and hushed because your worried about your resell value
Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

First off who said that I was indicating anything about 2009 and up failures.. I was just saying one did fail... Not that it means they are all gonna fail too... You read too much into what I posted...
Well Bud, a better question is, who said that you personally were indicating anything about 2009 and up failures?????

I know I didn't. I was just pointing out that one example says nothing of their extent. No matter who decides to point to it. You or anyone else.

Also I was talking about excessive guide wear not about it leading to failure... Let's replace every with most... Again like I said don't read too much into what I've posted... Your putting words in my mouth now or words in a post I didnt post...
Then in your own words, and without me or anyone else, "putting them in your mouth", what say you is the significance of valve guide wear? And please show how you have proven it's significance.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-22-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Can you point to the thread where this was discussed?

I'd be interested in reading what they have to say.

Thanks.
Here is the post by Livernois Motorsports

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1581358914-post26.html

Get notified of new replies

To Possible cause of valve failure

Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by C6CorvetteZ51
Great now the 2010s are dropping valves. The car is almost new. There is no excuse for this. Dont even bother saying its only one. Its just the only one reported. I would bet after all this time owners arnt bothering to report their own due to the resell value droping. Only going to hear this from others. Flame suit on I only say this because im a potiental buyer and i dont want this covered up and hushed because your worried about your resell value
So you want to buy a 500hp high performance car that has experienced zero problems? Say hi to Peter when you are car shopping in Never Never land.

And at least this makes it easy for you to not buy the Z06. Just buy a 911 Turbo or a Ferrari 458. On the plus side they are both slower and on the negative side they are twice the price.

Or buy a GTR and ignore the class action lawsuit that had to be filed to get them to honor the warranty on their grenading 20K transmissions.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:15 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Man now for you to believe me I gotta get every shop and engine builder I've personally talked to or have gone to see to come on here and either show you or message you their findings for you to believe me... Carlos & ZoSicktanner are a few that you might know... I gotta do this in person with you or you'll just discredit me... Now I see why people just say this is a waste of time talking about... Cause some desk jockey is gonna sit there and spend all his time to prove me wrong so f*^% it... I bow out Quick aka white night... Shouldve just left it alone... You should pull your heads and check just to see for yourself... Can't deny what's right in front of you... You edit your stuff all the time to remove what you say...
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6CorvetteZ51
Man don't even waste your time on here... The white knights will be here forever to put you down... I can say this is the LS7 is the most unfriendly modded motor out there... The only motor I know that with the smallest mod can make it let go... The thing is if you want a Zo6 and your heart is set on one then leave it alone and drive but if you got the modding bug then go else where cause this motor will leave you hurt unless you got big bucks... I was fortunate enough to have good people help me out but there are these guys on here that will just blame you for your blown motor... Trust me I know... Everything is the owners fault and not the car... Bring on the flames WHITE KNIGHTS...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Possible cause of valve failure