Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Heads Exhaust Guide Wear Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by D-Rod
I will have to ask if its ok if I mention who told me this......Im sure he will be fine with it but I will keep him nameless for now. Anyways, he has 30 years experience working on heads and knows his ****. Alot of this has been mentioned on the forum before but some was new info to me.

I called to get a couple quotes and to also get his take on the valve issue and here is what I got.......First off, there is nothing wrong with the stock guides. He does install bronze guides only due to fact that he does not have access to OEM guides. The problem is nothing new to him and he has seen the same problem before in Porshe engines as they had a run with sodium filled valves. The sodium valves transfer heat into the guide essentially cooking the oil. Here is the part that I did know before that conversation...... your valves may be seeing the most heat at cruising speeds while in closed loop. I think this may be more likely in tuned cars since tuners will dump the fuel at high RPM and lean it out for fuel mileage in lower RPM. This explains all the "I was cruising at 40mph and dropped a valve" threads.

Anyways, we started talking about the intake side which also has shown signs of wear, but nothing like the exhaust side. My plan for my new car was to only replace the exhaust valves/guides. He recommended changing them out as well as the finish of them are not ideal. If you want to go the cheaper route for them, he has been doing testing with "tumbling" the stock vavles. I believe he said this not only makes them smoother, but also helps make them more porous. <<<<<take that for what its worth as I was trying to do two things at once when he was telling me this. But the "tumbling" option was cheap and he believes it protects the intake side.

I asked him about the concern of weight if I went with SS valves. He disagrees with many that they cause any type of issue. He also highly reccomends a dual spring vs the beehive that many go with. He got into alot more with the different finishes of valves, but I know I will mis-quote him if I try to reiterate.

In conclusion, he knows there is a problem but he has seen heads come back after having SS valves and bronze guides installed and even after mileage and abuse, the guides were in spec. One thing he has not been able to confirm is the tumbling method for the stock intake valves. He just hasn't seen the results after much use yet.
Is your head guy saying tuners are leaning stoich out to even leaner than factory 14.68:1? Unless I am missing something, in CL and cruising, your ecm will and NB sensors will be seeking whatever it may be set at.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, I lost the motor in my 08 Z in May of 09. Upon tear down, one of the things we noticed was excessive guide wear. I rebuilt and went with new stock heads/stock guides, SS e-valves and roller-tipped rockers (solid roller lifters). We freshened things up last summer and upon checking the guides, found they were perfect.
IMO, it's is a combination of side load from poor geometry (reduced or eliminated by the roller rockers) and excessive temp. Only changes that were made last time were new springs and solid Ti exhaust valves.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
FYI, I lost the motor in my 08 Z in May of 09. Upon tear down, one of the things we noticed was excessive guide wear. I rebuilt and went with new stock heads/stock guides, SS e-valves and roller-tipped rockers (solid roller lifters). We freshened things up last summer and upon checking the guides, found they were perfect.
IMO, it's is a combination of side load from poor geometry (reduced or eliminated by the roller rockers) and excessive temp. Only changes that were made last time were new springs and solid Ti exhaust valves.
Is that a type-o?

Did you mean to say you replaced the OEM sodium-filled exhaust valves with OEM guides and stainless exhaust valves?

Glad to hear there was no noticeable wear - how many miles (and what kind of miles: track, street?) on the rebuild when you checked them over?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
Is that a type-o?

Did you mean to say you replaced the OEM sodium-filled exhaust valves with OEM guides and stainless exhaust valves?

Glad to hear there was no noticeable wear - how many miles (and what kind of miles: track, street?) on the rebuild when you checked them over?
About 2500 track miles and 500 street miles. I replaced the stock exhaust valves with solid SS exhaust valves when I rebuilt after the motor let go; I then replaced the solid SS exhaust valves with solid Ti exhaust valves on the last refresh.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Nail on the head. OP, I am interested in a "redneck" way of checking my OWN valves: ie a way I can estimate guide wear in MY garage - since I have no high quality micrometers to measure stem diameter and the inner diameter of the guides themselves.

In other words, you showed us a video of the "wiggle test," stating that this is an effective way of approximating valve guide wear. But how much wear is this representative of? I don't know how much the wiggle in your video correlates to actual guide wear - which is why I was trying to be rather polite in asking you to corroborate your initial demonstration with actual measurements (ie 0.005" wear, etc) from the valve you demonstrated to us.

Doing things without measurements or related measurements is what I coin "redneck," kind of like porting heads but not bothering to flow-test before or after your work: how would anyone know it was effective or know how to match the cam/components? Of course you flow test, which is why you mentioned going for 380cfm earlier in this thread - it's the scientific, reproducible method to ensure accuracy.

Looks like someone else posted a video in this thread, so I need to check it out.

+1

Good post. I agree a more accurate measurement and documentation would be better. In the seat would be better as well. This would show if the wear is within limits or not.

I believe he stated if it moves at all "Its toast" I don't know if that is true based on how much it was pulled out and how much wiggle is considered toast. I am by far NOT an expert at all on the subject I just think if you are going to make the effort go all the way.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

cold start = most wear, thus cold oil = more engine wear, thus GM changed the oil coolers and now engine oil gets to temps extremely fast.

If the oil is "too cold" then it may not get into the guides like it should until it is much voter. My Z06 barely got to 150* in the 98* heat from my house to my work (15 miles of mild traffic doing 45) and barely to 125 in winter (temps in the 30's low 40's)
In contrast my 2011 ZR1 gets to 200 by the time I get to work, and is right at about 160 by about 3 miles with one traffic light. In the Z06 I'd be lucky to get to 100.

It will be interesting to see the results on wear with the new oil cooler.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Some of you asked me to show the movement with the valves closer to the seat so here you go. I work for myself and if the guides on a set of heads need to be replaced then I have a local shop that takes care of it for me. If your guides get to a point that the movement can be seen on video it is evident that the guides need to be changed. I don't claim to know all the answers but in my experience with other heads there should not be any kind of wiggle room.

LS7 Bud....this is what was accomplished today. Sorry for the video quality. I ran out of light and literally just walked in. Tomorrow when I have daylight I should be able to get a better shot.

2006 Z06 Vengeance RHS 454
2010 Bone Stock SS Camaro[/QUOTE]
Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
With a worn guide, the valve will seat slightly off center. This work hardens the valve at the weld. Eventually it can break.

Interesting video, just not sure what it shows that we haven't already seen. Pulling the valve out nearly 2" and it rocking doesn't mean much, IMO. Though I don't doubt there may have been some excessive guide wear with a head from 06-08'.
While we call can appreciate the time and effort he spent to make the video and demonstration... it does not really show anything we don't already know.. or have not discussed at lenght...Valve Guide Wear on the exahust side..

I guess for those who don't understand the thread where this is discussed, this is helpful to watch

Well, we have to be careful lumping every failure in to the same category and then assessing cause - of course rarely are things ever black and white.I personally have assumed heat/fuel/tune related issues given the propensity of wear in modified vehicles: many cammed cars have problems - is it from the tune (which is invariably tweaked for max HP and thus leaner A/F, and higher EGT's), the valvetrain changes/cam/lift modifications, or is it just dumb luck? Of course many cammed cars are reporting worn guides... because the heads come off for other reasons and this is checked out of curiosity (whereas far less stock vehicles will just pull the heads for the hell of it).

But stock vehicles also have richer WOT tunes - but as you point out, this is NOT the case while cruising at the highway where the ECM is going for stoich A/F. The problem is, at lower RPM and load the EGT (heat) is also significantly less in almost all situations, and the time for heat transference between combustion cycles is also increased (increased valve seat time, oil flow, etc) versus WOT runs with a richer mixture.

And again, we have to allow for the possibility of supplier defect or poor quality control: 27,000+ cars with 8 exhaust valves a piece is only 216,000 parts. Since NOTHING is ever perfect, an error rate of 0.2% would correlate to over 500 blown engines (one broken valve = LS7 doorstop) - something we haven't seen. This 0.2% quality control error rate also ignore any other cause (like tunes, cam or heavy abuse); even though these sources significantly wittle down our existing Blown LS7 list.

Again - the sky probably isn't falling. But that doesn't mean that there aren't potential risks or ways of improving the existing engine for reliability depending on the application.

People tighten their axle nuts, use premium oils, do meticulous engine break-in procedures, use $200 waxes twice a year, swap the diff fluid every 5K miles, have a glorified leaf blower for washing the car without messing up the paint, worry about our door hinges splitting, etc etc - all in the name of longevity. Doesn't mean the car is a POS; it just means we all try to protect our investments in different ways and inevitably Murphy's Law will bite some of us in the ***.

IMHO, the exhaust valve issue is yet another variation: but unfortunately ONE bad valve takes out a $15,000 motor, so it's perfectly natural to take greater lengths to protect our investments. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily a "design" flaw inherent to the system - perhaps due to the higher HP output, the inherent flaws of mass production (quality control) are just more manifest in much more noticeable ways?

Regardless, the more we know, the more we can protect our vehicles. I also plan on checking the heads at some point, but I remind myself that for the thousands of Z06's in my state, probably less than 2 dozen will ever have a significant issue. Naturally, I don't want to be one of them.
Bingo! Especially in bold. While it's been identified that there is an issue on some engines with Valve Guides or valves on the exhaust side... noone can say with total certainty (or any logic) that all the failures listed here are a result of that..sure some maybe, but the others have also failed for other reasons.

Not enough is known, or enough info to say to every Z06 owner who has a stock motor and tune...run run go pull your heads and get them checked and re-done otherwise your motor will in fact blow!

Edit, nice work on the heads you have done in the post above mine here..just watched it.

Last edited by FrankTank; 07-11-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Thanks for taking the time to video this. Some like me have no idea whats going on inside an engine. So this is very helpful. Looking forward to more reports from you.

AND PLEASE PUT SOME BOOTS ON BEFORE YOU DROP A HEAD ON YOUR TOE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH
LOL True..but the reason I port in flipflops is because if a wear shoes those aluminum shaving will get in your shoes...and its not fun trying to get it out of your feet
Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
Some of you asked me to show the movement with the valves closer to the seat so here you go. I work for myself and if the guides on a set of heads need to be replaced then I have a local shop that takes care of it for me. If your guides get to a point that the movement can be seen on video it is evident that the guides need to be changed. I don't claim to know all the answers but in my experience with other heads there should not be any kind of wiggle room.

LS7 Bud....this is what was accomplished today. Sorry for the video quality. I ran out of light and literally just walked in. Tomorrow when I have daylight I should be able to get a better shot.

2010 Bone Stock SS Camaro
We know that the 2006 had a valve break, correct?

Are you certain that it was this movement which you demonstrate, which caused the other valve to break?

Also, if you see this kind of movement, and since no measurement of the movement is stated, we don't know how much we actually are seeing, what would you say are the chances of valve breakage, in the typical head with the same mileage on it, and with the amount of movement you are showing?

100% certain, 50% certain? 25% certain, 10% certain, or something less than that?

I ask because I think of some of the very high mileage LS7s out there.

NO S8NT at 182,000 miles as of May 30th of this year. Jimman at over 155,000 miles. Winzerguy at 148,000 miles. Peelingout 120,000 miles in an '07, MrVette1 at 106,000 miles on a 2007.

Those and a long list of other cars out there with 75,000-80,000 miles on them.

If one were to examine the heads from those cars, in that 100,000 mile club, would it be reasonable to expect to see NO movement such as that which you demonstrate in the videos?

Finally, as we don't know if there was any lateral movement such as that shown in the video when the head was actually "brand new", do we know to attribute all of the movement which we see here to "wear"?

In other words, how do we know that this lateral movement, or some of it, or most of it, seen in the video, wasn't going on when that head was brand new?

That question brings us back to the prospect of a QC issue.

One other thing which would help bring some clarity to this matter as well, and if you happen to have any similar mileage LS2, LS3, or LS9 heads in?

It would help if we could see something like a comparison video of those heads demonstrating an absence of movement such as that shown in the LS7 videos.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-11-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you very much ZOsickTanner... We both agree we're done trying to convince people... Do what you want people... All the info is out there for the people but it's up to them if they wanna use it...
Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

Are you certain that it was this movement which you demonstrate, which caused the other valve to break?

Also, if you see this kind of movement, and since no measurement of the movement is stated, we don't know how much we actually are seeing, what would you say are the chances of valve breakage, in the typical head with the same mileage on it, and with the amount of movement you are showing?

100% certain, 50% certain? 25% certain, 10% certain, or something less than that?

NO S8NT at 182,000 miles as of May 30th of this year. Jimman at over 155,000 miles. Winzerguy at 148,000 miles. Peelingout 120,000 miles in an '07, MrVette1 at 106,000 miles on a 2007.

If one were to examine the heads from those cars, in that 100,000 mile club, would it be reasonable to expect to see NO movement such as that which you demonstrate in the videos?

Finally, as we don't know if there was any lateral movement such as that shown in the video when the head was actually "brand new", do we know to attribute all of the movement which we see here to "wear"?

In other words, how do we know that this wasn't going on when that head was brand new?

One more request too, and would help bring some clarity to this matter as well.

Would you happen to have any similar mileage LS2, LS3, or LS9 heads in?

It would be good if we could see videos of those heads demonstrating an absence of movement such as that shown in the LS7 videos.
I don't know when one will fail...but I'll tell ya this..it's one of the worst sets of heads I've ever seen...I was using a video for one reason...To show movement...I can take anyother head that I have here do the same..no movement...I did this for the average person to see...once they get to the point you can see on video it's done,, worn out...you can move these almost a 1/4 of an inch..from side load to side load...I'll post the info on the wear on the guides when I take them to get them flowed..all I do is port the heads, cc the intakerunners and exhaust ports. I also do valve jobs. but the owner is having the guides replaced with bronze an ss valves,
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS7 BUD
Thank you very much ZOsickTanner... We both agree we're done trying to convince people... Do what you want people... All the info is out there for the people but it's up to them if they wanna use it...
Not a problem man..Can't wait till you see them done you will love them
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

In other words, how do we know that this lateral movement, or some of it, or most of it, seen in the video, wasn't going on when that head was brand new?

One other thing which would help bring some clarity to this matter as well, and if you happen to have any similar mileage LS2, LS3, or LS9 heads in?

It would help if we could see something like a comparison video of those heads demonstrating an absence of movement such as that shown in the LS7 videos.
The 06 head droped a valve yes...but the head in this video is from the 08 bone stock thats why I posted the vid..
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I don't know when one will fail...but I'll tell ya this..it's one of the worst sets of heads I've ever seen...
The '06 heads or the '08 heads?

Also, we know of the engine failure in LS7 Bud's car, the 2006.

But if I'm following the progression right, his block was cracked. He bought a long block from out of a 2008, and the heads from it are the heads you are working for him?

But did the '08 also suffer an engine failure? What happened to the motor in the '08 that caused the dealership to have to pull it and sell it?

QuickSilver- I own both sets of heads... Mobile 1 factory stuff in the 06 and unknown in the 08 cause I bought it from a dealership that did warranty work to the 08 so I would say factory standard oil too... The 08 was bone stock with 24,000 miles on it...
Before it did what???? What happened to the motor in the '08, what caused it to fail, if it did, and if you or Bud knows?

Apparently it didn't drop a valve and destroy the block.

ConfusedGarage - i made 3 passes on the 06 heads but don't know what the previous owners have done... The 08 heads are unknown... I bought the long block from a guy who got it from a dealership... Sorta back door deal I guess...
So the '08 head is one of the heads from that long block?

...I'll post the info on the wear on the guides when I take them to get them flowed..all I do is port the heads, cc the intakerunners and exhaust ports. I also do valve jobs. but the owner is having the guides replaced with bronze an ss valves,
Those will be interesting to see.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-12-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 AM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Rod
I will have to ask if its ok if I mention who told me this......Im sure he will be fine with it but I will keep him nameless for now. Anyways, he has 30 years experience working on heads and knows his ****. Alot of this has been mentioned on the forum before but some was new info to me.

I called to get a couple quotes and to also get his take on the valve issue and here is what I got.......First off, there is nothing wrong with the stock guides. He does install bronze guides only due to fact that he does not have access to OEM guides. The problem is nothing new to him and he has seen the same problem before in Porshe engines as they had a run with sodium filled valves. The sodium valves transfer heat into the guide essentially cooking the oil. Here is the part that I did know before that conversation...... your valves may be seeing the most heat at cruising speeds while in closed loop. I think this may be more likely in tuned cars since tuners will dump the fuel at high RPM and lean it out for fuel mileage in lower RPM. This explains all the "I was cruising at 40mph and dropped a valve" threads.

Anyways, we started talking about the intake side which also has shown signs of wear, but nothing like the exhaust side. My plan for my new car was to only replace the exhaust valves/guides. He recommended changing them out as well as the finish of them are not ideal. If you want to go the cheaper route for them, he has been doing testing with "tumbling" the stock vavles. I believe he said this not only makes them smoother, but also helps make them more porous. <<<<<take that for what its worth as I was trying to do two things at once when he was telling me this. But the "tumbling" option was cheap and he believes it protects the intake side.

I asked him about the concern of weight if I went with SS valves. He disagrees with many that they cause any type of issue. He also highly reccomends a dual spring vs the beehive that many go with. He got into alot more with the different finishes of valves, but I know I will mis-quote him if I try to reiterate.

In conclusion, he knows there is a problem but he has seen heads come back after having SS valves and bronze guides installed and even after mileage and abuse, the guides were in spec. One thing he has not been able to confirm is the tumbling method for the stock intake valves. He just hasn't seen the results after much use yet.
This is absolutely correct, I agree 100% with Richard . Ferrari guys have had the same problems too with the sodium fills, they heat up the oil and cook inside the guide.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 AM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Quicksilver - I've posted all these answers in my own thread about my car failing... At this point I have no interest in repeating myself... I've really lost all interest in caring what anyone thinks about the whole situation... You guys have really just killed the whole thing for me... At this point I'm just worried about finishing my engine build and driving my car...

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Heads Exhaust Guide Wear Video

Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Quicksilver - I've posted all these answers in my own thread about my car failing... At this point I have no interest in repeating myself... I've really lost all interest in caring what anyone thinks about the whole situation... You guys have really just killed the whole thing for me... At this point I'm just worried about finishing my engine build and driving my car...
The only way to get answers here, is to ask questions.

There are still plenty of unanswered questions here, and if people are reluctant to answer them , then that doesn't help anybody.

If this presentation is going to be submitted as a piece of the puzzle, well then every attempt ought to be made to answer questions posed by the audience you're presenting it to.

The materials used in Z0sicktanner's presentation, belong to you.

If it died, then what killed the '08 motor?

And if it died of something other than a dropped valve, then who knows how long it would have gone before it finally did drop one, even with this degree of lateral movement using the wiggle test?

Furthermore, if it failed due to something else, then that could give some indication as to how it was used and in turn give some idea as to why it's valve guides are in the shape that they are in.

For example, if it in fact failed, and the cause of failure was oil starvation and bearing failure, then that could give an indication that it saw some, or a lot of, track duty, and that could account for some of the reason why the guides are in the condition that tanner's video indicates that they are in.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-12-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:29 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Gentleman,

Can we get an answer whether the 2008 heads on the video were actually on a LS7 engine when it failed, and if yes do we know what failed (and was the engine stock)?

I am not mechanic but know enough that any engine is going to have valve guide wear as the engine starts getting used more and more, accumalating mileage on it, and being subjected to normal wear and tear as it ages and the mileage increase.

Are there LS7 engines out there that have this exact type of movement on the valve guides that will live to 100,000 miles with normal usage?

It would be real interesting to see LS1/6/2/3/9 heads with similar mileage on them and do the exact same type of testing on those heads.

Keep up the great work gentleman.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

2010 Bone Stock SS Camaro
[/QUOTE]

Mr. Z0sickTanner,

Great job all around

Love your comment(s) regarding the 5.0 heads from back in the day in one of your earlier replies; I remember those days. As a quick side note, just got your PM, sorry for the late response; I've been busy dealing with health issues.

Regarding this entire valves and guides issues, yes, there is a problem-taking place and yes, some people will fight you tooth and nails blaming this issue on such things as cams, tuning and other modifications, but little do they know that this mess is happening to BONE STOCK cars as well.

Hey, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion…right? All I've been saying for a while now is: if you’re 100% confident on the state of your vehicle, its tune (stock or not), your dealership/GM over even your warranty (GM or otherwise) then leave the car alone and hope that nothing happens – who knows, you may get lucky. But if you’re not and want to be proactive then visit a trusted machine shop/tuner and do something about before a big ugly mess occurs...it is that simple!!!

I don't think I need a flame suit, but have one on just in case

Thanks,
Carlos

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Heads Exhaust Guide Wear Video