Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Whine/Squeal from Engine Bay - C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:03 PM
irex511
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine/Squeal from Engine Bay - C6 Z06

Hi Folks,

I have a weird squeal noise coming from the engine bay of my 2010 Z06 (LPE car) and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before I start diagnosis.

Sounds to me like a belt may be loose. I've posted this video on Youtube with the car revving between 1k-1.5k RPM.

Also, I've noticed the squeal under medium power (i.e. merging onto the highway).

Any thoughts? Planning on doing the Dover Super Shootout this weekend, and don't want to risk any damage to important bits before I find the root cause.

Thanks a million for the help.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Couldn't tell by the video as it sounded a little on an off, but when I did hear it, it sounded like what my 06 seems to have developed. I haven't looked into it much yet, but mine sounds like the alternator.

Anyone have any good alternator suggestions that are lighter weight yet functional in a Z?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Likely scenarios: If you have driven the car in the rain recently, belts have a tendency to squeak.

You can replace the belt with one of the gatorback belts, they dont squeak.

You dont say how many miles are on your car but there is a possibility that your harmonic balancer is working its way off the crank. This is a fairly common problem since the C5's and gm has not come up with a remedy (although there is rumor they are working on it).

The balancer issue is a difficult job and should be done by a competent dealer. As for the alternator, while they can go bad, seems to be pretty rare that i've seen.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 AM
irex511
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick replies on this. The car has ~11k miles on it. I'll have to admit, the rain is probably a likely solution. I run a GT hood (lots of louvres) and got caught in the rain the other day (I know, I know).

I took another video on the way to work this morning, and you can hear the whine on accelleration (faintly).

At any rate, unless it's a terrible idea, I'm going to hope that's it and continue running the car. Any good ways to check the harmonic balancer? Guessing it's not under Chevy warranty with 630 hp

Last edited by irex511; 06-29-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added mileage
Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably the Alternator...had mine start whining at 10K miles...it got so bad people thought i was running a pro-charger when i pulled into carshows.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:23 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The LS7 has a pressed on harmonic balancer. It is possible your balancer is ready to come off.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:04 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

If you modded the engine to 630 hp, no warranty for you. As for checking for the balancer wobble, you will have to look very carefully at the balancer for any wobble.

In the meantime, get yourself a gatorback belt. I forget but want to say autozone carries them? anyone know for sure on that? See what happens once you have replaced the stock belt.

someone else had the same problem and they unplugged their alternator while the car was running and the noise went away. He believed his problem was his alternator but i dont know for sure.

keep us posted.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:17 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Gatorback belts suck
Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM
VetteNinja69
Advanced

I have a very similar sound to this. Did you ever figure out what it was?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Dean Pasquale
2nd Gear

Default Alternator Whine

Originally Posted by JetBlue427
probably the Alternator...had mine start whining at 10K miles...it got so bad people thought i was running a pro-charger when i pulled into carshows.
I agree. My 2000 with 14K started to whine a couple years ago. It sounded like a supercharger. After denying there was anything wrong, I traced it to the alternator. The belts didn't respond to dielectric grease, so it had to be the alternator. Replaced it along with the two belts and the accessory tensioner. Even my wife said it was quieter.

Get notified of new replies

To Whine/Squeal from Engine Bay - C6 Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Whine/Squeal from Engine Bay - C6 Z06