Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A friend blew his motor, 07 Z06. Anyone got any leads on a new one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A friend blew his motor, 07 Z06. Anyone got any leads on a new one?

A buddy of mine blew the engine on his '07 Z06 at the track this past weekend (His first HPDE). Bone stock motor, we found what looked like the top of a piston and ring in the bottom of the engine compartment. Didn't get into it much at the track but there's chunks of cast everywhere. The kid is a super nice guy, and totally screwed as he just put a down payment on a house last week and he's broke. He's looking for a used engine and a shop to install it, Philadelphia area. I know this ain't a cheap fix, but cost is a huge factor. If anyone has any suggestions or can help, PM me or reply here.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
A buddy of mine blew the engine on his '07 Z06 at the track this past weekend (His first HPDE). Bone stock motor, we found what looked like the top of a piston and ring in the bottom of the engine compartment. Didn't get into it much at the track but there's chunks of cast everywhere. The kid is a super nice guy, and totally screwed as he just put a down payment on a house last week and he's broke. He's looking for a used engine and a shop to install it, Philadelphia area. I know this ain't a cheap fix, but cost is a huge factor. If anyone has any suggestions or can help, PM me or reply here.

Thanks!
GMPP crate engine, LS3 525hp with 3/36 warranty.
It's the next best thing
Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
LeftLane Z06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ebay has one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-C6-Corv...5a55d1&vxp=mtr
Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Before going any further he should check to see if GM will replace it under a goodwill warranty. There has been a fair number of LS7 engines failing on tracks and GM has warrantied a bunch of them even though the cars had some modifications or were being used on the track. I got a new engine last year. If the engine is torn down he may have screwed his chances to be covered although I have known them to cover disassembed engines that were brought to them with the heads and various pieces laying in a bushel basket in the trunk.

Bill
Old 06-08-2012, 11:25 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bill. No it's not apart he just blew it yesterday afternoon. Car had only 14k street miles, yesterday was his first ever DE, he was never on a track before.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 AM
No4Play
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM should definitely at least give this guys ride a look through and make a sound determination about a goodwill warranty. With 14k miles and completely stock I don't see why they wouldn't. Worst they could do is say no and he'd be where he's at now.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell him to call Phoenix motorsports in Phoenixville, PA and see if they have one or can find one. If anyone can find one they can.

If you are seriously interested, PM me and I will have my buddy who owns a salvage yard do a nationwide search over the hoot and hollar.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:41 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BLW BY
GMPP crate engine, LS3 525hp with 3/36 warranty.
It's the next best thing
Ouch!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 AM
No4Play
Racer

Hey man if he can't find a long block I have a set of heads off my 06 Z with 25k miles. These heads have no issues, just going with something aftermarket. The only thing I would suggest with any used heads even on a long block, a good 5-angle valve job, checking tolerances and spring height etc, put new factory guides in if the old ones show wear ( or upgrade to bronze), micro polish the factory intake valves and inspect the factory exhaust valves. Good as new.

side note: If he can't get GM to warranty it see what all is salvageable (crank, rods, pistons) freshen them up and just look for a block and heads.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:59 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Before going any further he should check to see if GM will replace it under a goodwill warranty. There has been a fair number of LS7 engines failing on tracks and GM has warrantied a bunch of them even though the cars had some modifications or were being used on the track. I got a new engine last year. If the engine is torn down he may have screwed his chances to be covered although I have known them to cover disassembed engines that were brought to them with the heads and various pieces laying in a bushel basket in the trunk.

Bill

Mark
Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would maybe consider an LS6. I am on my 3rd LS7, and the RHS setup is the only way there will be a 4th.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds

Thanks!
He should have it towed to a dealer. Then He should have the dealer check the in service date of his Car. If it is June or later of 2007 he may be in luck for GM to fix it under the 5 year 100k powertrain warranty. - as someone else said - may the GM goodwill would kick in if it is in a couple of months before June.

He should not tell the Dealer it was at the track when it blew apart.

If he gets flack from the dealer, then he should ask to speak to a zone manager. Maybe they would negotiate fixing this for him at a reasonable price as part of Goodwill especially if the car only has 14k miles.

If he gets no where here, then he can start exploring other options.

If the dealer finds the ECM has been tuned or messed with out of factory specs your friend may be SOL.

Hopefully this thing is not his daily driver.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 06-08-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These posts are truly sad and its a shame. Hope things work out for the best.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

sorry to hear about your friend..
this is why i opted to buy new, the engine in my 08 grenaded itself too lol
Old 06-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Wow, first time on any track

I would not be surprised to see GM give him a new motor

GO GM !!!

DH
Old 06-08-2012, 04:20 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

The car is completely stock, not a single thing altered. He is the second owner, but him and the previous owner had all service done at the same dealership at scheduled intervals. He says he brought the motor in for a ticking noise a few months ago, and they told him it was normal. He spoke with the service manager and they want to look at it on Monday.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:38 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friends car.

These threads make me glad I bought an '04 Z as a street/track car.

Get notified of new replies

To A friend blew his motor, 07 Z06. Anyone got any leads on a new one?

Old 06-08-2012, 05:31 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by dfinke23
I would maybe consider an LS6. I am on my 3rd LS7, and the RHS setup is the only way there will be a 4th.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by No4Play
Hey man if he can't find a long block I have a set of heads off my 06 Z with 25k miles. These heads have no issues, just going with something aftermarket. The only thing I would suggest with any used heads even on a long block, a good 5-angle valve job, checking tolerances and spring height etc, put new factory guides in if the old ones show wear ( or upgrade to bronze), micro polish the factory intake valves and inspect the factory exhaust valves. Good as new.

side note: If he can't get GM to warranty it see what all is salvageable (crank, rods, pistons) freshen them up and just look for a block and heads.
how much for the heads?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:56 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Build date.

I'm curious can u please let us know build date look on driver side door and ser what month it was built on thanks.

Quick Reply: [Z06] A friend blew his motor, 07 Z06. Anyone got any leads on a new one?