Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] H/C seat of the pants difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OHHH HELL YES! From 460rwhp stock to 600rwhp after H/C/I/Tune/Headers the car feels indescribable when I drop the hammer!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:06 PM
meatheadgn
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see both sides of the dilemna as UNREAL has the supercharged car and I have a H/C/I/Tune/Headers car. I have the Lethal cam in mine which is easy to drive and does not present any difficulty in driving around. I keep the NT05R's on car all the time. It made about 580rwhp corrected as we are at about 4500 ft.
When UNREAL had the Mamba cam in his car it was the best sounding cammed up car that I had heard. It made me wish I had not put the smaller cam in mine. UNREAL made about 10 more hp with that cam than I did comparing car to car.

IMO a H/C/I car will never match the power of a "properly set up" blown car without a shot of nitrous and perhaps not even then.

I do however love the sound of a cammed up car so that is what I went with.

UNREAL made the choice that he did as he did not want to live with a lopey cammed up car everyday so he went the supercharger route and with his mods should be making a ton of power.

Different strokes......all are good options.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by meatheadgn
IMO a H/C/I car will never match the power of a "properly set up" blown car without a shot of nitrous and perhaps not even then.
That is a completely different topic which can be argued considerably! On a 90* at the track, both cars line up at the tree, the nitrous car will linger back, let that supercharger car soak up that heavy air build up those IAT's (assuming air to air intercooler), tough call. My little LS1 forged 346ci motor went 9.30's @ 146mph in my 3400lb camaro back in 2003!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JChastain
I just dont see my car hooking at all if it makes over 600 rwhp. Even if its on DR. If it does im sure ill be having to call a tow truck because of something breaking. Man what a tough decision! The only reason i have considered a blower is its easier to remove come time to sell the car and the better driveability. The h/c sound alone is making me want to go that route.
The MT ET street radials do a great job at around 600 rwhp. My last supercharged car made 625 rwhp and 650 rwtq, and those tires would spin a little bit in 1st gear from a roll and dead hook in 2nd gear.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 PM
meatheadgn
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a completely different topic which can be argued considerably! On a 90* at the track, both cars line up at the tree, the nitrous car will linger back, let that supercharger car soak up that heavy air build up those IAT's (assuming air to air intercooler), tough call. My little LS1 forged 346ci motor went 9.30's @ 146mph in my 3400lb camaro back in 2003!
I would agree that it depends upon the car, altitude, temp, etc. and it can be argued at length. I was mainly talking about my experience with the C6ZO6 with a stock shortblock. I figure that UNREAL's car made about 705 rwhp with the supercharger and cam. Mine made about 580 H/C/I without any adder. If I added a 100 shot to it it may still be a little short, or maybe close, in the horsepower comparison.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
JChastain
Drifting

Anyone with h/c still running factory clutch? How will it hold up on the street? Should i just do a cam only if i dont want to change the clutch?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

MeatheadGN and I will line up once my car is running for a trip to Mexico. HC/N2O vs HC/Blower should be fun.

In the end that is what it is all about, having fun. All the options are great. Heads/cam, cam only, n2o only, blower. Heads/cam blower. There isn't a bad combo.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Witt748
Pro

Originally Posted by JChastain
Anyone with h/c still running factory clutch? How will it hold up on the street? Should i just do a cam only if i dont want to change the clutch?
Yup. I drive mine pretty hard, just not dumping the clutch from a stop. I don't expect my clutch to last longer. As long as you have street tires it should hold out for a while, who knows how long for sure though.

You will still be making enough power with a lot of cam only setups to fry your stock clutch. I would personally not recommend anyone do a cam setup without taking care of your heads too, esp with a larger cam, I would say definitely do your heads too. I know there are a lot of cam only cars running just fine, maybe they just have better luck than others. It was worth the extra money for me to do my heads just for the piece of mind, not just the HP. Although I'm not sure H/C setups are as reliable as people originally thought.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean by taking care of heads too?
Adding a cam doesn't require a head job or are you talking about springs?

Originally Posted by Witt748
Yup. I drive mine pretty hard, just not dumping the clutch from a stop. I don't expect my clutch to last longer. As long as you have street tires it should hold out for a while, who knows how long for sure though.

You will still be making enough power with a lot of cam only setups to fry your stock clutch. I would personally not recommend anyone do a cam setup without taking care of your heads too, esp with a larger cam, I would say definitely do your heads too. I know there are a lot of cam only cars running just fine, maybe they just have better luck than others. It was worth the extra money for me to do my heads just for the piece of mind, not just the HP. Although I'm not sure H/C setups are as reliable as people originally thought.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Heads too...

Doing a valve job, bronze valve guides, and some switch the exhaust valves to heavy duty solid 1 piece stainless steel. But the valve is much heavier which isn't optimum for the high revving LS7.

I would upgrade the valve guides, valve job and mill for more compression.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Witt748
Pro

Originally Posted by morris
What do you mean by taking care of heads too?
Adding a cam doesn't require a head job or are you talking about springs?

I mean what Clark says below:

Originally Posted by ClarksZ06
Heads too...

Doing a valve job, bronze valve guides, and some switch the exhaust valves to heavy duty solid 1 piece stainless steel. But the valve is much heavier which isn't optimum for the high revving LS7.

I would upgrade the valve guides, valve job and mill for more compression.
I know a cam doesn't "require" a head job, all I can say is from my experience I highly recommend it, esp with a larger cam.

I chose SS, I know Katech recommends lighter valves and obviously they know their stuff, I just decided to go with what my builder and WCCH preferred.

Quick Reply: [Z06] H/C seat of the pants difference