Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Exhaust Valve Failures

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 AM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Exhaust Valve Failures

Hey guys,

I'm posting this on behalf of valet who is deployed right now. My name is Anne and I'm a materials engineer. He wanted me to help rule out exhaust valves as the point of failure. He had been following this issue until a few weeks ago, so if this is a moot point, my apologies. The overall goal here is to find inherent issues \ incompatibilities with the exhaust valves.

Here's what I need:

* one new (post May '08?) valve
* one broken valve
* one old design valve
* a rough schematic of what the valve does, normal operating temperatures, maximum temperature, pressures and speeds

Here's what we will try to answer using typical failure analysis methods (SEM, micrography, etc.)

* what the beginning failure point was (weld, metal, etc.)
* why it failed
* possible mitigation techniques

PM me for the address to send it to and I will post results as they come up. Valet passes: "Thanks for your help on this issue, guys."

END
Old 10-25-2012, 12:29 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by valet_devil
Hey guys,

I'm posting this on behalf of valet who is deployed right now. My name is Anne and I'm a materials engineer. He wanted me to help rule out exhaust valves as the point of failure. He had been following this issue until a few weeks ago, so if this is a moot point, my apologies. The overall goal here is to find inherent issues \ incompatibilities with the exhaust valves.

Here's what I need:

* one new (post May '08?) valve
* one broken valve
* one old design valve
* a rough schematic of what the valve does, normal operating temperatures, maximum temperature, pressures and speeds

Here's what we will try to answer using typical failure analysis methods (SEM, micrography, etc.)

* what the beginning failure point was (weld, metal, etc.)
* why it failed
* possible mitigation techniques

PM me for the address to send it to and I will post results as they come up. Valet passes: "Thanks for your help on this issue, guys."

END

I have a box of 8 OEM exhaust valves from my 2006 that nobody over in the for sale section seems to want to purchase from me.

You are welcome to them.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I have a box of 8 OEM exhaust valves from my 2006 that nobody over in the for sale section seems to want to purchase from me.

You are welcome to them.
Hahaha, nobody wants these!?? Imagine that.....
Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 PM
240sx2jz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with doin SEM micrography on a broken valve is the fact that the crack propagation site is often damaged during the mayhem after the valve separation. I had a set of valves sent to me with one broken with hopes to do the same...but i was unable to find the site of the crack because of how mashed both the stem and the head were. Keep in mind the failed valve showed NO signs of a worn guide.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 PM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
The problem with doin SEM micrography on a broken valve is the fact that the crack propagation site is often damaged during the mayhem after the valve separation. I had a set of valves sent to me with one broken with hopes to do the same...but i was unable to find the site of the crack because of how mashed both the stem and the head were. Keep in mind the failed valve showed NO signs of a worn guide.
if your talking about z06-505 the guides were all in spec...i still have the head if you want i can ship it to you...
Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 PM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by ramairws6
lol go figure..
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chadyellowz06
lol go figure..

I was hoping maybe I could sell them to a forum member with a set of bare heads, looking to do them with stock exhaust valves and either bronze guides or powdered steel guides, like the way the big shops do them.

But I guess nobody is interested.

I haven't gotten a single bite on them.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 PM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

I was hoping maybe I could sell them to a forum member with a set of bare heads, looking to do them with stock exhaust valves and either bronze guides or powdered steel guides, like the way the big shops do them.

hmm thats weird i figured jason would be all over these....how are you liking the new setup ricky?

Last edited by chadyellowz06; 10-25-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

"* a rough schematic of what the valve does, normal operating temperatures, maximum temperature, pressures and speeds"

Good luck with that. At best you can get some ballpark estimates.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Wait awhile. Katech may step up and by them from you to throw in a build just to prove all of us "naysayers" wrong
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

There is a academy of engineers, (cannot remember the name) and the GM engineers released that data i believe back in 2006. I also saw it posted on web someplace a few years back....one of the info sites.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Wait awhile. Katech may step up and by them from you to throw in a build just to prove all of us "naysayers" wrong
Haha wouldn't bet on it.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 AM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Gents,

I'm taking advantage of a rare moment for internet connectivity. Thanks to Quick for his submission. I still need a broken valve and a post May 2008 valve. chadyellowz06, I'm singling you out.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 AM
chadyellowz06
Instructor

Gents,

I'm taking advantage of a rare moment for internet connectivity. Thanks to Quick for his submission. I still need a broken valve and a post May 2008 valve. chadyellowz06, I'm singling you out.
what do you mean you don't want the head?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Moderator: Can I change the thread title to "New and broken exhaust valve needed for research"? My friend posted this for me and didn't realize how generic this title would be, unfortunately.

Chad, I wouldn't ask you to spend the money to send the entire head, since all these engineers are going to look at is the valve, but a valve guide could be useful as they look at metallic incompatibilities. Any luck getting a hold of that broken 2010 exhaust valve? That's the one I really want analyzed.

To everyone else, I need one of the following donated to science: A post 2008 e valve and any broken exhaust valve. I know members like vertc6 have research going on as well. Think of this as covering all the bases, not merely being redundant.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 AM
hoefi
Racer

I think I still have my broken exhaust valve somewhere in the garage. PM me to let me know where I should send it to.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone. So far I have an old valve and a broken valve coming at me. Just need a newer one to compare it. Hoefi, good call including the valve guide to look for material incompatibilities.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Valve Failures

Old 11-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone. So far I have an old valve and a broken valve coming at me. Just need a newer one to compare it. [...]
Ligenfelter sells them for $30 + shipping.

Local Chevy dealer would probably sell one for $40 if they had one in stock (probably not too likely.... I tried to buy one today along with some other stuff I already had ordered but my GM vendor didn't have any in stock).

GM Part Number: 12618110

Last edited by Mark2009; 11-17-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:30 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

OP, thanks for your efforts and looking forward to results of your testing

DH
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Tukon44
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you doing 3rd party testing to avoid the GOVERNMENT(motors) cover up? they seem to be pros at it anymore .. well maybe not pros but can be blaten about it and get a free pass.

Anyways, good luck. Shame these motors are failing with such low mileage too. I love my z06, but GM should really be stepping up to the plate and not force owner to spend their own cash to find answeres. GM should be embarrased over this.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Exhaust Valve Failures