Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2-pop rivets and wcch saved my engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:16 AM
barneygookle382
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2-pop rivets and wcch saved my engine

A BIG THANK YOU TO RICHARD AT WCCH !! while installing my ls-7 heads from WCCH that looked so awesome .. Wonderful Job Richard!! I noticed 2 of the air bleed holes were riveted closed and my vent crossover tube wouldn't hook up. So I called WCCH thinking for some perf. reason they did this. As always Richard answers his calls talks to me like a friend and is full of info.. Still helps out AFTER the sell, returns calls and don't do business only from e-mails like others I know. He explained that GM rivets these closed and don't need the rear block offs with o-rings like ls-3's. While shooting the bull he mentions a guy that destroyed his $150.00 EA. titanium intake valves in 50 miles, eat down to the retainer locks. LASH CAPS NOT INSTALLED.. WHOOO!! never saw these on my heads. went and pulled the cover and intake rocker NO LASH CAPS!! And Richard waited for my return call and was so happy we discussed this. Stated if he gets caps they are returned in a labeled bag. Bought heads used and rockers and caps were kept by seller and under assumption thought heads were ready to go after all the cash I spent.. WRONG!!! I was going to fire up this weekend and this is a Fresh R.E.D. sleeved Forged Katech short block assy and THANKS to Jason (Katech) another good vendor that you can depend on. Paid a little more but good dependable people and service after the sell is worth it to me. Words of wisdom, if to busy to talk or return calls deal with those that will.. Thanks Again Richard At WCCH and to all the honest helpful vendors and members on this forum that help soooo much! Very Appreciated and hope this is useful for someone else!!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM
craig'sZR1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good info, thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

WCCH needs to have a note on every LS7 head or any heads that uses TI valves to remind people about those lash caps. Not sure why after all those problems with other people that they are still not doing it. I destroyed my LS7 due to not having those lash caps installed. and I have seen 3 others with the same problem.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 AM
4MuscleMachines
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, he should have learned by now that a simple note can save many of his customers thousands of dollars.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

so you are saying that valves that require lash caps do not come with them, nor the note of their being required.

-superlame

I've had my share of lsx, non-ls7's and have not once needed or used a lash cap, It would have definitely bitten me.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:12 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Don't y'all think that if YOU took the heads off YOU should remember to put the lash caps back in the right location and the heads on the correct side relative to the water transfer tube?

It's not the machine shops faults if y'all forgot how it came apart. You want the machine shop to send you a how-to manual as well ? I guess there's more to wrenchin' than just turning a wrench....
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
Don't y'all think that if YOU took the heads off YOU should remember to put the lash caps back in the right location and the heads on the correct side relative to the water transfer tube?

It's not the machine shops faults if y'all forgot how it came apart. You want the machine shop to send you a how-to manual as well ? I guess there's more to wrenchin' than just turning a wrench....
true, im a tech by trade but it is nice to see guys looking out for one another. remember many guys on here are weekend warriors and never have had an engine apart.....i know its crazy, but they do it.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by erikszr1
true, im a tech by trade but it is nice to see guys looking out for one another. remember many guys on here are weekend warriors and never have had an engine apart.....i know its crazy, but they do it.
yep exactly plus when I sent my heads off they were sent back to the shop working on my car and they assumed the lash caps were on the valves already. yes they should have checked it, but they were under the assumption that the heads are assembled and ready to go!

a little note would have saved that shop few thousands dollars since they paid to fix my engine.

no one asked for full instructions. just a little tiny note saying check lash caps!! thats all. full instructions would be nice though :P
Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 AM
htvette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I too received a bag of lashcaps but didn't know what it was until I called WCCH.

Get notified of new replies

To 2-pop rivets and wcch saved my engine

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2-pop rivets and wcch saved my engine