Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tire discussion Runflat vs non-runflat

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:18 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
Michaelinmech ,before attempting to set skid pad records you should get an oil change or at least add whats missing !Hard cornering when missing oil is not very recommended.Secondly i hope you dont think we re naive enough to believe 1.27 g force with good year runflats....What a joke.

Michaelinmech is not the person attempting to set skid pad records. Please reread and forward your comments to the one claiming 1.27 g skid results with GY Runflats on the street.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:00 PM
mojovious
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually if the curve has enough banking, the pavement and tires are hot enough and you are carrying enough speed, the G's onr can achieve is amazing. With GY run craps it would be possible IF all the conditions are met.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 AM
CGGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember when the C5 Z06 came out and they got 1.05g, and it was a huge deal back then. Anything about 1g was reserved for super cars and race cars only.

Now look at what they are doing. 1.1g, 1.27g. And there are a lot of cars approaching 1g now.

We live in a great time of advanced technology. Even with super sticky rubber, anything past 1.5g is almost unobtainable, unless we produce a tire that actually digs into the road.

We are coming to the end of the line of what the modern design of a tire can do. They can't get much lower in profile, not much more grip to be had, and there are several tires on the market that do just about everything very well (RE-11).

I wonder what the next revolution of the tire will be.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,618 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
lebvette, Please explain how to recall the highest G.
bump, any answers on how to recall highest G's?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

From the owners manual.....

While in Track Mode 1 or 2, the
maximum G value achieved
during the current ignition cycle
can be displayed by pressing
and holding the PAGE button.
The maximum G display will be
shown until the PAGE button is
released. The maximum G value
display will be identical to the
normal G value display, except
the maximum G gauge digits
(X.XX G) and corresponding
G gauge bar will overwrite the
current G value.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

The primary problem with the Goodyear EMT Tires is they age very fast. After as little as one year they become hard and perform poorly.

If you ever drive a C6 with a set of Michelins you will wonder why they ever mount Goodyears on this car.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:45 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Joe answered this, and it's a very cool feature.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

At 1 year, 1/2 tread remaining and 11,000 miles, I replaced my stock gen 1 Goodyear runflats with 295 and 345 PS 2's. My personal feeling is that the Michelins are a much better performance tire but, unlike most people on here, I don't think the Goodyear is anywhere near as bad as they claim. The Michelins are a little quieter and ride a little better but I don't feel that it is a "night and day" difference. I would never consider the Goodyears "JUNK" as described by a lot of forum posters. I also feel that I would have gotten about 20,000 miles out of my runflats. I have just replaced my rear PS 2's with Cups. The PS 2's have 46,000 miles on them and have slightly less than 1/4 tread left but are hard as rocks and don't have much grip left in them.
Gary
Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
At 1 year, 1/2 tread remaining and 11,000 miles, I replaced my stock gen 1 Goodyear runflats with 295 and 345 PS 2's. My personal feeling is that the Michelins are a much better performance tire but, unlike most people on here, I don't think the Goodyear is anywhere near as bad as they claim. The Michelins are a little quieter and ride a little better but I don't feel that it is a "night and day" difference. I would never consider the Goodyears "JUNK" as described by a lot of forum posters. I also feel that I would have gotten about 20,000 miles out of my runflats. I have just replaced my rear PS 2's with Cups. The PS 2's have 46,000 miles on them and have slightly less than 1/4 tread left but are hard as rocks and don't have much grip left in them.
Gary
I am in the minority with you. I don't think the OEM GYs are that bad from a handling perspective. They do ride hard and are noisy. Also, I don't think the GY are the only tires that lose grip after several thousand miles or a couple years on the car.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:09 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by JoesC5
From the owners manual.....

While in Track Mode 1 or 2, the
maximum G value achieved
during the current ignition cycle
can be displayed by pressing
and holding the PAGE button.
The maximum G display will be
shown until the PAGE button is
released. The maximum G value
display will be identical to the
normal G value display, except
the maximum G gauge digits
(X.XX G) and corresponding
G gauge bar will overwrite the
current G value.
Appreciate that Joe. I had forgotten exactly how to do it and was going to have to resort to the manual. You saved me a lot of trouble.

Larry
Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
I am in the minority with you. I don't think the OEM GYs are that bad from a handling perspective. They do ride hard and are noisy. Also, I don't think the GY are the only tires that lose grip after several thousand miles or a couple years on the car.
After 153,000 miles and 12 punctures I'm staying with the runflat. My friend called one day during the start of his vaction trip with his 03 Z06and told me what I could do with the tire repair kit that came with the car. Driving far left lane 75 mph in heavy traffic right front tire goes down and before he could get to sholder the side wall was shredded. 80 mile flatbed ride two days to get replacement tire somewhere in AZ. To each his own
Old 04-03-2012, 12:12 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CGGS
I remember when the C5 Z06 came out and they got 1.05g, and it was a huge deal back then. Anything about 1g was reserved for super cars and race cars only.

Now look at what they are doing. 1.1g, 1.27g. And there are a lot of cars approaching 1g now.

We live in a great time of advanced technology. Even with super sticky rubber, anything past 1.5g is almost unobtainable, unless we produce a tire that actually digs into the road.

We are coming to the end of the line of what the modern design of a tire can do. They can't get much lower in profile, not much more grip to be had, and there are several tires on the market that do just about everything very well (RE-11).

I wonder what the next revolution of the tire will be.

I think the only reason I can only pull a 1.27g is the meter is maxed out, it's probably higher!

Banking is everything

Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BLW BY
I think the only reason I can only pull a 1.27g is the meter is maxed out, it's probably higher!
How do you recall the peak G reading?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Post #25, has the procedure.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I haven't figured out how to get a pic of it when it is happening. That's why the speedo is at zero.

The key to maxing out the g meter is not letting the car slide, as soon as you lose grip or slide the g's fall off.

It doesn't feel any faster than that of a tire with less grip, true-fully, it feels safer because it's not sliding.

Good tires and a well tuned suspension setup = 127g+
Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lebvette
Post #25, has the procedure.
lately I've found when I get an e-mail to a thread I've subscribed to, it doesn't always go back to the first post after I've posted/been to the thread, so I miss some of the posts. Thanks for calling my attention to the earlier post and to JoesC5 for the response in #25.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I haven't figured out how to get a pic of it when it is happening. That's why the speedo is at zero.

The key to maxing out the g meter is not letting the car slide, as soon as you lose grip or slide the g's fall off.

It doesn't feel any faster than that of a tire with less grip, true-fully, it feels safer because it's not sliding.

My question was not directed at how to max the G meter or how to drive, but how to recall the reading. Thanks to JoesC5 for pointing me to the Owner's manual procedure on how to recall the peak G reading.

Last edited by AzDave47; 04-03-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire discussion Runflat vs non-runflat

Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,989 Likes on 5,360 Posts

I find the NT-05's don't have great track grip, but they are balanced and predictable. I doubt I'll get the wear out of them that you got, Bill.

Re Watkins Glen long course, I did a 2:05 in my Taurus there in 1999.
I didn't see this the other day. A 2:05?? Seeing as you posted this on 3/31 it seems like you were a little early for April fools day.

Bill
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I didn't see this the other day. A 2:05?? Seeing as you posted this on 3/31 it seems like you were a little early for April fools day.

Bill
Strange, but true and I was just learning the car. It was, however a Busch North Ford Taurus with a 605HP 9:1 compression 358CI and Richmond 5-speed road race transmission. I'm sure if I went back to the Glen after I learned the car it would have been quite a bit quicker. Oh yes, since I was learning the car I was using a 7000RPM redline whereas the peak power was 7200 and you could run it to 8K+ if you wanted to refresh the valvetrain every 500 miles. Later on in SCCA races I used a 7600 RPM redline (chip) with this torque cam'd engine (former Busch South engine with a 750 CFM carb.

Check here, WG long course: http://www.comscc.org/events/track-records/

Last edited by AzDave47; 04-03-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,989 Likes on 5,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Vito.A
The primary problem with the Goodyear EMT Tires is they age very fast. After as little as one year they become hard and perform poorly.

If you ever drive a C6 with a set of Michelins you will wonder why they ever mount Goodyears on this car.

Banking is everything

I found that my aged EMTs did very well. Again you have to go out and run the car hard to find out. A canyon run doesn't get them that hot since you really aren't going all that fast. Too many perils to take into account along a public road. On a track where you can run with speeds varying from the mid 60s to the mid 150s for 20 to 30 minutes at a time you can see so called worn out EMTs pull max Gs in corners.

You don't need banking to max out the G Meter. You can do that on a flat turn. If you are cornering slightly below the point where the front tires start pushing and flick the steering wheel into the turn a little more you can peak the G Meter. The car can't hold that peak for more than a moment but it definitely allows the driver to get a high peak reading.

If you don't use the flick of the steering wheel you can't get as high of a reading even if you use the throttle to add more speed to the point the front tires start pushing. Turn 9 (the so called Off Camber left) at the Glen is an easy turn to see this happening since the speed is lower than some other turns and the flow of the turn allows you to keep the HUD in your field of view.

Bill

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tire discussion Runflat vs non-runflat