Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] faith in ls7 has been shaken

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faith in ls7 has been shaken

i researched hard before i purchased my 09 zo6 with 5200 miles, in nov.2011, my girl friend and i bought it together as a gift fot eachother, but this week i began to read about blown motors, and now a poll on how many motors have blown, i am new here and i saved and worked hard to buy the dream car i have allways wanted, since i have only been reading the forum for a few weeks, i am hopeing and praying that there is not a serious issue with the ls7 and i guess i am looking for some of the long time members and true corvette lovers to helpme understand what issues where there and are the corrected. thanks to everyone and to all have a blessed day!!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 AM
ltdodge
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont read too much into forums, you will go crazy.
your car has warranty, just enjoy it and get an extended warranty for piece of mind. thats what i did....

less than 1% of failures in these motors and the majority have done mods to the engine and race it.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 AM
67redrat
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltdodge
dont read too much into forums, you will go crazy.
your car has warranty, just enjoy it and get an extended warranty for piece of mind. thats what i did....

less than 1% of failures in these motors and the majority have done mods to the engine and race it.
Get the extended warranty and enjoy the beast, it's the best factory car I've ever owned. Mine is an 07' factory warranty runs out Dec of this year, I'll be making the decision whether to get the extended or go on my own. Also keep in mind if the writings are correct about GM dropping the LS7 this gem just became a collectors item, but I haven't been able to confirm that story its just rumor.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by 67redrat
Get the extended warranty and enjoy the beast, it's the best factory car I've ever owned. Mine is an 07' factory warranty runs out Dec of this year, I'll be making the decision whether to get the extended or go on my own. Also keep in mind if the writings are correct about GM dropping the LS7 this gem just became a collectors item, but I haven't been able to confirm that story its just rumor.
i have heard that production of the 427 stoped in nov.2011, all future powerplants will be smaller cubes and as we have seen with the zr1, supercharging will become more common, but yes i agree, the 427 will be a mucg saught after car in the future!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 AM
85Z514+3
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Production of the LS7 has not stopped. In fact, there will be a special edition 427 convertible available in the 2013 model year to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Corvette. The next generation C7 may have a different engine, but those details have not been released yet. So enjoy your Z06 and don't worry too much about your LS7.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I don't want to believe there is an issue either but I keep running into evidence saying otherwise. A guy came and bought my shortblock Thursday because he dropped a valve for the second time, and he bought a second motor locally for his friend that lost his motor too. Both bone stock cars who aren't on the forum.

If your under warranty then go enjoy it.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They've "only" made around 30,000 Z06's so far - so although they will certainly retain value better than most normal vehicles, don't expect to be rolling your 2006 in front of Barrett-Jackson anytime soon. I own one, and I think they will remain very desirable - but at the end of the day these are used cars with ever-increasing mileage, so don't sweat the details.

If I were OP, I'd be driving the **** out of that thing to make sure that IF there are any problems, it happens under warranty. So get out and drive.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

As far as I can tell these cars are like any other....it's luck of the draw. If your car is running well then you have no issues. Count how many cars on this forum that have had issues. Then look at how many have that have been built. This forum reps only a very SMALL percentage of overall owners.

Drive your 'Z and do not worry about it. Keep your oil checked. You have 100k mile warranty. If your car is stock keep it that way and do your normal maint per your driving habits.

If you continue to read these boards you will find that there are lots of guys who have near 100k miles and beyond their cars that they dd without issue. These cars are built to be more on 'edge'. So drive it and take care of it.

As with all things, one can choose to worry about the 'what if'.....so as you can see, it is what YOU choose. If you choose a problem, then it will be a problem.

Drive your 'Z for which it was built/intended use. These cars were advertised by GM Vette group to be very track capable. More Z06's see this than any other Vette model. Look at the exotics. They too fail.

It's your choice whether to be happy with your 'Z. I do not worry over mine. You will NEVER find another car with Z06 capabilities for what you paid either. I looked.

Your choice. Just keep it up and the odds are in YOUR favor.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DON T.
i have heard that production of the 427 stoped in nov.2011
Did you just make that up to make a point or confuse the OP?

Tom
Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Did you just make that up to make a point or confuse the OP?

Tom
He IS the OP.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

If you go to the Autocross & Road Race section you will see tons of folks who track their Z06s with no issues. They put significantly greater forces on the engine and car than you will ever do on the street unless you miss a shift of something like that. I agree with the guys that say "ENJOY THE CAR" and stop worring.

Jim
Old 02-18-2012, 10:36 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

I also have an 09, basically stock. I will get the GMPP warranty before the 3/36 runs out (they won't do GMPP if 3/36 is over), even though the 5/100 powertrain warranty will be in place.

Enjoy the car and do regular maintenance. If something happens and you have the warranty, GM seems to be doing a goo job on replacing the LS7.

They are tremendous performance cars and they are solidly built. I've got 20K on mine.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
DON T.
Drifting

thanks everyone, and yes i intend on driving and enjoying this fantastic automobile, the power is unreal, but i have learned from this forum that the factory gy are junk in cold weather, the zo6 has kook headers with corsi exhaust system with k&n, sound incredible when opened up!!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
If you go to the Autocross & Road Race section you will see tons of folks who track their Z06s with no issues. They put significantly greater forces on the engine and car than you will ever do on the street unless you miss a shift of something like that. I agree with the guys that say "ENJOY THE CAR" and stop worring.

Jim
I totally agree! The LS7 is an excellent and well engineered engine. I got a car in the other day with over 25k mile on the engine with more than 90% of those miles being on the track. I ran a compression and leak down test on the engine and it tested fine, checked hot oil pressure and then dyno tested the engine on my chassis dyno. For a stock engine that spent most of its life on the track it made nearly 450hp which is right on par with a new Z06. So don't worry about a thing and take what you read in these forums with a grain of salt and enjoy the car.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

After all of the talk it comes down to two possibilities.

1. A quality control issue affecting some of the cars.

2. A design issue which would make all of the cars vulnerable.

If you believe the first, then that's what a warranty is for. Or if getting a warranty is not possible because of age, miles or mods, then pulling and examining the heads if you're worried, and acting accordingly, doing what you feel will minimize your chances of having issues, is an option as is buying something else.

If you believe the second, then definitely buy something else.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:16 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

This is what we have seen...

We have been building and modifying LS7's since August of 2005 when the first Z06 rolled into the shop.

Since then we have seen a total of 4 failures. 2 of which were on the race track and it is hard to tell what happened, one was a used car that came in for dyno, with aftermarket parts of unknown history. The last car had almost 100k miles on it, two different cam setups and what finally took it out was poor up keep and running low on oil.

I have almost 41k miles on my 2008 with no issues, and we have hundreds of modified customer cars with varying degree's of modifications and cams with no issues.

Not saying there isn't going to be an issue from a production car from time to time, we all see it, but in general the LS7 is a pretty stout engine. Key Words here: Depending on what you are going to do with the car, and use it for, what it might need for added protection.

Drive it, and have a blast. When your ready for more HP, give us a ring.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm extremely concerned as well. I've been researching the LS7 for a bit now and I keep seeing horror stories of STOCK motors blowing. I'm trying to decide whether or not to make the move from an 01 Z06 to a C6Z06 and the more I read...the harder the decision gets.

It's reading about people with stock engines blowing with no track time that get me...that' not fun to hear about. Especially when a new motor is $14k.

Get notified of new replies

To faith in ls7 has been shaken

Old 02-18-2012, 11:24 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Very few stock LS7 engines let go with no track time.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
This is what we have seen...

We have been building and modifying LS7's since August of 2005 when the first Z06 rolled into the shop.

Since then we have seen a total of 4 failures. 2 of which were on the race track and it is hard to tell what happened, one was a used car that came in for dyno, with aftermarket parts of unknown history. The last car had almost 100k miles on it, two different cam setups and what finally took it out was poor up keep and running low on oil.

I have almost 41k miles on my 2008 with no issues, and we have hundreds of modified customer cars with varying degree's of modifications and cams with no issues.

Not saying there isn't going to be an issue from a production car from time to time, we all see it, but in general the LS7 is a pretty stout engine. Key Words here: Depending on what you are going to do with the car, and use it for, what it might need for added protection.

Drive it, and have a blast. When your ready for more HP, give us a ring.
What he said

The LS7 has some of the most stout stock components available. When you start adding power you need to look at the effect on the complete engine as designed by GM. For example when you add a blower or turbo you need to look at compression, timing, new octane requirements, tune, injectors, etc. When you change cam you need to look at the effects on the valve train geometry, tune, etc. Obviously if you are adding major HP you then need to consider if the design of the block, fuel system, sleeves, oiling, etc. will still get the job done.

Last edited by TTZ06VETTE; 02-18-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Forums. Ya gotta love 'em and hate 'em.

I'm a member of several car, motorcycle and flying forums. They're all about the same. The tiny few who have problems get a lot of attention from their posts and the whole thing gets blown way out of proportion.

RELAX. There have been a couple of threads on high mileage LS7s, read them if you need something to help you sleep better.

Just drive it and enjoy.

Quick Reply: [Z06] faith in ls7 has been shaken