Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] InsideLine pits the 2012 Z06 against the 2013 GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Noone can deny the performance of the GTR, it is impressive. IMO, the car is FUGLY (and I am a car guy, without blind loyalty to Corvette)

I also like a car that requires a challenge, and more talent and skill to drive.. sure the GTR requires some skill to drive, but the Z06 requires more and that's what I prefer. I'd rather drive the car, rather than the car drive me with it's techno computer system.

Before the "almighty" GTR came along, there were already other cars faster than the Z06..so I don't see the big deal.

Once you start comparing modded cars, it's complete waste of time and its all bench racing..
Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Noone can deny the performance of the GTR, it is impressive. IMO, the car is FUGLY (and I am a car guy, without blind loyalty to Corvette)

I also like a car that requires a challenge, and more talent and skill to drive.. sure the GTR requires some skill to drive, but the Z06 requires more and that's what I prefer. I'd rather drive the car, rather than the car drive me with it's techno computer system.

Before the "almighty" GTR came along, there were already other cars faster than the Z06..so I don't see the big deal.

Once you start comparing modded cars, it's complete waste of time and its all bench racing..
I think what makes the GTR different is the price point. The same thing that made the Z06 such a hit, is the same reason a GTR is a hit. Sure there are faster cars, but at a much higher price point (with exception to ZR1). The GTR and the Z06 are the current supercar bargains and that makes them attractive and controversial. I personally don't think the GTR is attractive either, and I especially don't like 4 seat sports cars. Those are called sedans.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:55 PM
geezerman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeSSS
The Z06 is so capable, such a visceral blast, 75% the cost of the GT-R, and FASTER.

Did I mention FASTER?

Not much discussion to be had here.
TOTALLY agree with you here, my good man!,...i actually think people HAVE caught onto all the hype around nissan's gtr,..and aren't buying them,..IN DROVES!,...as i've pointed out in other posts,,..they sold 20 last month,...30 the month before,..and that's NATIONWIDE!,...performance car buyers don't like the thing,..and are instead opting for your vettes,..and porsche's 911,..both of which outsell the gtr by a now whopping 20-to1-ratio,...my question is now becoming,.."when is nissan gonna kill off it's turkey?",..not what a great car it is!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I think what makes the GTR different is the price point. The same thing that made the Z06 such a hit, is the same reason a GTR is a hit. Sure there are faster cars, but at a much higher price point (with exception to ZR1). The GTR and the Z06 are the current supercar bargains and that makes them attractive and controversial. I personally don't think the GTR is attractive either, and I especially don't like 4 seat sports cars. Those are called sedans.
this car is NOT hit!,..they barely sell the things!,...i don;t know 'bout the rest of the world,..but nobody,..i mean nobody is buying them here stateside1,...go to the gtr fan-boy site nagtroc.com to confirm what i'm saying,..your vettes outsell this thing by a HUGE percentage,..just sayin'...
Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
I agree 100%

Many vette guys love their brand and would quickly ignore the competition. Not me, I'm a car guy first! If a car is fast, looks good and priced decent then I'm there, I don’t care who makes it.

I like the GT-R but not enough to buy one; however, I do respect its capabilities. And frankly, I don’t care who is driving the Z, if all being equal, no man will out-shift a machine/computer. A couple of years ago I had a chance to pick up a nice clean used GT-R and passed on it for my 2nd E60 M5.

Sure the GT-R will kill the M5, but I liked the styling of the bimmer better. You should the look I get from some Vette owners because I choose to daily drive an M5. Test drove a CTS-V back in the day, it was torquey but boring; it didn’t quite move or hit me like bimmer did.

Today, if given a choice between a brand new loaded Z06 and a ZR1 vs. a brand new loaded GT-R; I’ll take the GT-R. Yep, I said it! However, I would take a loaded PDK 997.2 911 TT or TTS over ALL of them.

Thanks,
Carlos
now you're talkin' my friend!,..give me a 911 turbo s anytime,...OR a vette zr1!,...anytime over a gtr!,...just what i would choose if i had un-limited funds!...
Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by Cypher
Thank you sir, may I have another?

The GT-R looks like any other video game ricer. I won’t drive an ugly car, no matter how fast it is.

No denying it’s a potent machine though.
this^...
Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by Random84
I was kind of turned on by this - until I saw her face.
hey,...maybe i don't have the same standards as you, but she ain't half-bad,..i don't think!,...i'd be more concerned 'bout the axe though?!...
Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

the only thing kill me about gt-r is reliability...
give me a choice between an 09 Z06 or an 09 gt-r both used
which one do you pick???
Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

pdk porsche is the one but way too expensive .A 2012 or 2013 gtr with a mid pipe and a tune will easily go 10.7 or 10.8 all day long on street tires .No prepped track necessary,and no drag radials either.I love my 07 z06 but in a drag race .......No chance.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

The C6 Z06 just looks like it like to eat small animals, the front end just looks so aggressive. GT-R just looks bland to me
Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 PM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by GeorgeSSS
The Z06 is so capable, such a visceral blast, 75% the cost of the GT-R, and FASTER.

Did I mention FASTER?

Not much discussion to be had here.
Not too sure how you define faster. For the most part, you can toss a blanket over them in this last test with the GT-R being the better drag racer.

Can't figure out your 75% of the cost comment either. Again, MSRP on these two are close.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Clint-Z
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by geezerman
this car is NOT hit!,..they barely sell the things!,...i don;t know 'bout the rest of the world,..but nobody,..i mean nobody is buying them here stateside1,...go to the gtr fan-boy site nagtroc.com to confirm what i'm saying,..your vettes outsell this thing by a HUGE percentage,..just sayin'...
Outside of the USA it's a different story, I live in New Zealand & GT-Rs are huge down here. Many people love the Japanese Supercars & American cars are seen as big & slow with old technology, they don't even sell new Chevrolets here. My flatmate had a 700hp+ R33 GT-R that he imported and built up from scratch and it was an impressive car for sure.

Personally, I love the C6 Z06 & ZR-1 & intend to import a Z06 this year. I’ll probably be outgunned by the odd GT-R at the track but the Vette will be something different with fantastic looks & a bucket-load of character.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by Clint-Z
Outside of the USA it's a different story, I live in New Zealand & GT-Rs are huge down here. Many people love the Japanese Supercars & American cars are seen as big & slow with old technology, they don't even sell new Chevrolets here. My flatmate had a 700hp+ R33 GT-R that he imported and built up from scratch and it was an impressive car for sure.

Personally, I love the C6 Z06 & ZR-1 & intend to import a Z06 this year. I’ll probably be outgunned by the odd GT-R at the track but the Vette will be something different with fantastic looks & a bucket-load of character.
yeah,..i can't really explain why the gtr hasn't caught on here stateside?,..oh yeah,...wait,..i DID explain it a few threads ago,...so let me repeat my take,...no.1,...too expensive for a nissan,...folks with that amount of coinage are NOT GONNA SPEND IT ON A NISSAN,...just the sad facts,...they want some badge appeal for that money,...ergo,..porsche, or high end vette,..which as i said, are creaming the gtr in sales,..no.2,...no manny tranny,..performance drivers here don't cotton to the computer gizmo laden gtr,..but instead want to be a little "involved" in their driving experience,...no.3,..perceived "tranny" issues with the gtr,..too many reports of blown this and that,..go to nagtroc.com,...there's threads GALORE about all these various and sundry "issues" with the car,..and people rightly think it's got "issues",..no4.,..while it's a beast short term on the track,...people again perceive that it's got cooling issues,..and can't be "tracked" all day,..everyway, like your vettes and 911's,...no5,... VERY STUPID NISSAN POLICY of not letting buyers test drive the car,...ridiculous,..get over yerselves nissan!,...ya ain't that special!,..and high end buyers have basically said,"F YOU!" here in the states, and i would think that based on that,..i really expect that nissan will tire of it's dismal sales,...even worldwide,..[they couldn't have timed the introduction of this car AT A WORSE TIME!,..almost deppresion type economy],..surprised they sell in new zealand?,..guess you folks aren't as "badge" snobbed as we here in the u.s., but really, nissan just blew this whole thing from the get go here,...and not to mention, for that hefty coinage,..you get ALL the pleasure of being treated like a tool at your local nissan dealer,..at least porsche tends to coddle their buyers,..and same with high end vettes,..the few folks i know that have a gtr HATE the way they are treated at the nissan dealers,...so, that's my long-winded take,...
Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Clint-Z
Heel & Toe

Ha ha.. the snobbery goes the other way here. The Nissan is considered far more desirable than even the ZR-1 because they love Japanese & European cars. Technology is highly desired and people marvel at the GT-R's electronics and make fun of the fact the ZR1 has transverse leaf springs & pushrods.

A brand new GT-R here is $185,000 NZD or just over $151,000 USD. I could privately import and comply a brand new ZR1 for under $170,000 NZD tax paid... that's about $10,000 USD less than the GT-R. Hardly anybody does that though, I only know of 2 ZR1s in the country. One of those is a beautiful LPE variant.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:16 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
A 2012 or 2013 gtr with a mid pipe and a tune will easily go 10.7 or 10.8 all day long on street tires .No prepped track necessary,and no drag radials either.
Are you entirely sure about that?
I've witnessed a stock 2012 Nissan GTR make over 7 passes at a private track rental and when launched hard (using the launch control feature/higher RPM launches) it actually spun a little and killed it's ETs.
Lower RPM launches did finally help it to hook of course but that also didn't allow the car to gain boost/get going as quickly, also hurting it's ETs/MPHs. It was running 11.3s with a best of 11.2 I believe. Still impressive, but a long way from the 10.9s that the owner was told that it could possibly do.
This was a well prepped track (private rentals typically are) in cool air with a driver who's had the car for a full year and has (Corvette) drag racing experience too.
I also saw two VERY modified (2009/2010) versions at a different rental running quite fast (mid and low 10s) but they both had drag radials on all four wheels, and even then the more powerful of the two still spun a little bit.
It's a VERY heavy car, it takes a lot of power and the perfect launch to extract the most out of a roughly 4100 pound (with driver) vehicle.

I don't doubt that with a mid pipe (I assume that you mean removing the cats?) and tuning that the Nissan will be capable of 10.8s.
But a modified one, on the street, on four stock (non drag radial) tires? I think you might be giving the car's traction capabilities a little too much credit, especially on a cold day.
Still better grip than a similarly powered RWD car in that department for sure, but attempt to put down enough power and high RPMs and anything can break traction (or simply break LOL).
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by camirocz
Make no mistake the 2012 ,2013 gtr is a very fast car.In fact in stock trim on stock tires ony a pdk porsche 911 tt will take it in a drag race!
On the street, yes you're likely correct.
But on a drag strip in capable hands, a C6 ZR1 is certainly capable of proving otherwise.
Bone stock Corvette ZR1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2EsA...layer_embedded

That same car also ran a 10.33 and a 10.37 at nearly 133mph with the only change to the car being the addition of drag radials.

No Nissan
has yet to come close to that in bone stock trim.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I could have bought a GTR or a Z; I chose the latter and don't regret the choice. OTOH, I can't understand the dismissive comments many Z owners aim at the GTR, or the 911 or the......... If the GTR was faster around a racetrack, but the Z was faster in a drag race, the same people that diss the GTR for its performance from a dig would be arguing that the Z was superior for its 0-60 and quarter mile times.

Get notified of new replies

To InsideLine pits the 2012 Z06 against the 2013 GT-R

Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Throttle_Jockey
1st Gear

The GT-R is quick but trying to compare modded cars is ridiculous. You show me a 250,000 dollar super duper modded GT-R that is the fastest drag racer of them all and Ill find you an 80's mustang built and tuned in someones garage for 1/10th the money that will smoke it in a drag race. I looked at the GT-R before I got my vette but didnt really care for the looks or the issues with transmissions. I havent spent any time researching it but from what I read at least in the early oines the warranty was voided if you used launch control and the transmissions broke after a few hard launches which could not be repaired but had to be replace for 20,000 dollars. I know they have since officially offered traction control but is the transmission that much stronger? I suspect the GT-R doesnt have stickier tires because they are afraid the transmission will explode if you try to launch it hard and the tires hook. There is no doubt the GT-R is at a huge advantage in a drag race but then again who bought a corvette because they thought it would be an awesome drag car? I think of corvettes as track cars and they are really good at that. In Motor Trends recent test the Z06 Vette was by far the fastest thing at Laguna Seca, it didnt win the overall review but its lap times were great, which is what it was built to do.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GMuffley
OTOH, I can't understand the dismissive comments many Z owners aim at the GTR, or the 911 or the......... If the GTR was faster around a racetrack, but the Z was faster in a drag race, the same people that diss the GTR for its performance from a dig would be arguing that the Z was superior for its 0-60 and quarter mile times.
Good point, you might be right there LOL.

But there really is nothing to diss about the C6 Z06's acceleration/quarter mile times anyway.
Looking strictly at 'best pass versus best pass', the C6 Z06 is still right there with the Nissan.
Everyone here does know that bone stock C6 Z06s have gone 10.9/11.0/11.1s at even higher trap speeds than the Nissan as well (127/128mph), right?
Just checking.
And please don't respond with the typical 'footnotes/asterisks/ifs/buts' such as "oh but but but that's a great driver on a prepped track in good air etc. etc." because it doesn't matter. It has happened, it's a done deal, if one car (or driver) can do it then they are all capable of doing it.
Can it do it on every pass or in the hands of a first time driver?
No, but I didn't say that. I'm merely talking each car's all out best bone stock pass.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by btrapps
I still wonder how they can say that the new cup tire is a fair comparison against the all weather tire that the GT-R has.
You likely know this already but, not all Nissan GTRs come with those all weather tires, those are a no cost option I believe.
The Nissan's 'dry tire' choice is also a very special, sticky 200 treadwear tires as well.
I hear a lot of people pointing fingers at the Corvette's Michelins lately. Yet years ago when all the Corvette had was hard compound 35k mile lasting Goodyears when it showed up for magazine tests against other cars wearing short life/soft racing tires on them no one (other than me) said anything about that.
The tire on the car is the tire on the car, if it's factory stock (or factory optional) then so be it.

Here is some info on the Nissan's tires, I wouldn't exactly call them 'Sears specials' LOL:

The Nissan GT-R is "shoed" by Bridgestone and Dunlop with specially developed tires with stiff treads, essential for high-speed driving.

From Nissan's press Release:

Tires

As befits a very special car, so the tires for the Nissan GT-R are unique, specially developed for Nissan's flagship. The tires offer an extraordinary combination of high-speed balance, high-grip cornering on the world's most testing racing circuits (such as the Nürburgring), great traction in the rain plus pliant comfort in the city. The tires' run-flat structures allow for 80 km (50 miles) of driving at 80 km/h (50 mph) - an amazing achievement.

Specially developed by Bridgestone and Dunlop, the tires have very stiff treads, essential for high-speed driving.

Quick Reply: [Z06] InsideLine pits the 2012 Z06 against the 2013 GT-R