Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 Katech 110 Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Default Z06 Katech 110 Cam Install

Well this weekend I have started my cam swap on my Z06. I am also adding a Haltech MF103, Kooks 1 7/8" catted headers, 160 degree stat, a thermal abs tunnel plate and I did the muffler mod. I picked up the Katech 110 cam, springs and titanium retainers from a member that want a larger cam. The cam looks almost brand new, and was told it only had 2400 miles on it. Been following the threads for the cam installs and so far a few observations...

1.) Pulling the radiator shroud is a royal PITA!! Removed the small cover under the front end and removed the oil cooler, the screws and all the plastic buttons and the temp sensor. Then the fight was on!! I finally won but hopefully it will go in a lot easier than it came out!!! There looked to be 2 holes on the front that appear to secure the shroud to the front of the car, mine had nothing in there and was wondering if anyone knows what type fasteners go in there. Thanks...

2.) The AC condenser does not just slide up and off the radiator!! The drivers side slides up and off very easily but the passenger side is another story.... The passenger side lower mount when you lift it up the AC line hits the radiator end cap and pulls the condenser over towards the passenger side and has lip on that mount that gets pulled into the plastic clip and will not allow it to come off the clip. With a little gentle tweaking and persuasion and a few colorful words I got it separated!!!! I will be filling some of that extra material on that one condenser mount to look more like the rest of them to make the install easier.

More tonight............

I have a couple of questions for the experts....

1.) Would you replaced the valve stem seals if the engine is using almost no oil between oil changes?

2.) Anything else that you would change or add??? Have no intensions of competitive racing........

Thanks......

Mark

Last edited by 08VRZ06; 01-30-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Mainly did clean-up last night. Got the shop vac out and vacuumed 30,000 miles of dead bugs, cigarette butts, rocks and other debries that found its way in between the condensor and the radiator and the lower radiator mount. Also removed the throttle body, thermostat housing. I only have an hour after work to work on it so don't get much done during the week.

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts

New timing chain (C5R from Katech) cheap insurance to avoid problems.
Loctite the three cam gear retaining bolts. Lower the front of the oil pan slightly to avoid nicking the oil pan gasket when you remove the oil pump.
LS7 valve stem seals with spring seats are not expensive. Easier to change them out now vs later. New spark plugs while you have them out.
160 degree thermostat while the coolant is drained. Inspect your rocker arms for loose end caps. If the are loose upgrade the trunions form COMP or Harland Sharp. Double check everything you do. You will need to do some tuning to have a good idle and drivability. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08VRZ06
There looked to be 2 holes on the front that appear to secure the shroud to the front of the car, mine had nothing in there and was wondering if anyone knows what type fasteners go in there. Thanks...
If you're talking about the shroud below your air cleaner where it butts up to the frame (FWD), most will find those plastic rivits gone. Jim from Halltech has pointed them out on his site and added those not being installed will cause serge issues with the MF103 (and prolly any other CAI). Once I looked I saw mine where also gone. I ordered some from my dealer ($2.00 each or so) and replaced them last weekend while I had my fascia off. They are not hard to find on the dealer pages and are a large push in plastic rivet with a center lock. The ones I got from the dealer look more robust than the one that fell out when I removed the fascia so there may have been a parts change.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by wstaab
New timing chain (C5R from Katech) cheap insurance to avoid problems.
Loctite the three cam gear retaining bolts. Lower the front of the oil pan slightly to avoid nicking the oil pan gasket when you remove the oil pump.
LS7 valve stem seals with spring seats are not expensive. Easier to change them out now vs later. New spark plugs while you have them out.
160 degree thermostat while the coolant is drained. Inspect your rocker arms for loose end caps. If the are loose upgrade the trunions form COMP or Harland Sharp. Double check everything you do. You will need to do some tuning to have a good idle and drivability. Good luck.
Thanks wstaab!

I did get the Katech C5R timming chain and am replacing the stat with a 160 degree from Katech as well. I will check the rockers when I get to that step. I bought the Comp Cams valve spring tool as well as their valve spring height micrometer. I am removing the springs using the TDC method and will check for any excessive play in the valve stem to guide. I am also installing some Taylor plug wires.......

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by Tsar
If you're talking about the shroud below your air cleaner where it butts up to the frame (FWD), most will find those plastic rivits gone. Jim from Halltech has pointed them out on his site and added those not being installed will cause serge issues with the MF103 (and prolly any other CAI). Once I looked I saw mine where also gone. I ordered some from my dealer ($2.00 each or so) and replaced them last weekend while I had my fascia off. They are not hard to find on the dealer pages and are a large push in plastic rivet with a center lock. The ones I got from the dealer look more robust than the one that fell out when I removed the fascia so there may have been a parts change.
Thanks Tsar,

Those are the ones that I am taling about. I read that too about what Jim was saying about them. You don't happen to have the part number for those do you?? I am also going to have to get some of the other small ones too.

Thanks

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 03:10 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 803 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Good luck with your cam swap! When do you want me to drop mine off? Ha, ha. May try to meet up with you sometime in the summer so I can hear it.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Good luck with your cam swap! When do you want me to drop mine off? Ha, ha. May try to meet up with you sometime in the summer so I can hear it.
BearZ06

Sounds Good!! If you come to the Corvettes of the Ozarks Vette Only car show Apr 14, 2012 in Mountain Home you can see it there!!

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Tsar
Racer

Thanks Tsar,

Those are the ones that I am taling about. I read that too about what Jim was saying about them. You don't happen to have the part number for those do you?? I am also going to have to get some of the other small ones too.

Thanks

Mark
Sure thing, When I get home from work I'll look and see what I have (I bought the whole bag of them) for a P/N.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Sure thing, When I get home from work I'll look and see what I have (I bought the whole bag of them) for a P/N.
Thanks

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Tsar
Racer

Here is what I have. P/N on the bag is 5973400, check with your dealer and have them pull up the figure and you should be able to eye ball it to make sure it's the right part.

The one on the left is the new one, and the right side is what fell out of my front fascia when I removed it. If we can assume that is the factory installed one, the new one is an improvement and should stick around.

Good luck with your project !
Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks wstaab!

I did get the Katech C5R timming chain and am replacing the stat with a 160 degree from Katech as well. I will check the rockers when I get to that step. I bought the Comp Cams valve spring tool as well as their valve spring height micrometer. I am removing the springs using the TDC method and will check for any excessive play in the valve stem to guide. I am also installing some Taylor plug wires.......

Mark
are you using dual valve springs? then you will need the umbrella style valve seals as the stock ls7 seat/seal style wont work as the inner spring will bind, make sure you look into that
Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Thanks Tsar for the p/n!!!

Mark
Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by gregs94
are you using dual valve springs? then you will need the umbrella style valve seals as the stock ls7 seat/seal style wont work as the inner spring will bind, make sure you look into that
I am using Beehive spings and titainium retainers that Katech sells for use with that cam so the stock valve seals should work fine. Thanks for the heads up though!!

Mark
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

I am using Beehive spings and titainium retainers that Katech sells for use with that cam so the stock valve seals should work fine. Thanks for the heads up though!!

Mark
Cool, I have seen people make that mistake, and I did one time as well.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Well got the waterpump and the front wheels off last night. Probably wont get anything done tonight...... have to go do some grocery shopping!!

Got my C5R timing chain from Katech today as well as the 160 degree stat and 8 replacement retainers as 8 of the 16 had wear marks in them and it was recommended to replace them. Ordered all my gaskets and the 2 missing push pins (Thanks Tsar) and they should be here tomorrow. Ordered my tune today as well from Vector Motorsports and it should be here tomorrow as well along with my Kooks Headers!! Now if everything goes OK I may have it completed by Sunday........

Mark
Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't forget the fine print of our deal. If that cam nets you more then 50hp you have to return it and install it in my car. If not...I'll furnish another cam, but you still have to do all the install work.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Katech 110 Cam Install

Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 AM
htvette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same torquer cam with WCCH heads. Stock intake and tb making 580hp/522tq. Good luck with the install.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by htvette
I have the same torquer cam with WCCH heads. Stock intake and tb making 580hp/522tq. Good luck with the install.
Cool thanks!!!

Mark
Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
Don't forget the fine print of our deal. If that cam nets you more then 50hp you have to return it and install it in my car. If not...I'll furnish another cam, but you still have to do all the install work.
That must have been some pretty small fine print!!

Have you decided on a cam yet???

Mark

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Katech 110 Cam Install