Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Well...heads are coming off....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:30 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Well...heads are coming off....

After lots of time spend contemplating i have decided to pull the heads. They come off tomorrow. I will be sending them off to RPM. I have talked to Charlie and he has made me feel confident in my decision.
Once I get all the parts ironed out i will post up. I hope Charlie will be OK with posting findings as i am sure the Forum will benefit from anything they may find.
A few questions:
-I have ARP head bolts 134-3610 ready for the reinstall as well as a new set of ARP header studs. I plan on using OEM GM head gaskets as well.
- What is the recommended torque sequence for the heads? I assume the Torque spec sheet that came with the ARP bolts is good for LS7? I iwll of course be replacing the sodium filled valves, guides, seals, and maybe a new spring kit if need be. Should I replace little things like lifters as well? Anything else?

I will aslo be installing a new Gatorback belt and a set of Hinson transmission mounts to match my Hinson motor mounts.

Any other tips welcome!

Last edited by triblk6spd; 01-17-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Follow the shop manual. Inside out. I think ARP says 25/45/75 ft/lb 3 pass sequence.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

good luck! i'm curious to hear how your valves/guides have held up with that cam. oddly enough, mine didnt show any wear when we pulled them off. but i still have a sense of relief from adding all new hardware. nice to see you brought back the creepy avitar.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excited about this thread, and looking to all the info it provides. With all the threads out there on failures I'm also considering head work on my 07. What year Z and how many miles are on the ticker? Will you be doing a cam as well?

Good luck, please keep us updated and PICS PICS PICS !!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Unreal
Follow the shop manual. Inside out. I think ARP says 25/45/75 ft/lb 3 pass sequence.
Thanks! I had a torque sequence sheet printed but I lost it. Can anyone confirm the sequence and torque specs fro the ARP bolts?
Originally Posted by screaminchevy
good luck! nice to see you brought back the creepy avitar.
Thanks! Lol!
Originally Posted by Tsar
Excited about this thread, and looking to all the info it provides. With all the threads out there on failures I'm also considering head work on my 07. What year Z and how many miles are on the ticker? Will you be doing a cam as well?

Good luck, please keep us updated and PICS PICS PICS !!
20k miles..4k w the blower. She really does run excellent as of now. (knock on wood!)
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=3

It is in there
Old 01-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Yasei
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only trust first hand information: http://arpinstructions.com/
Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep read both of those.
I have the M11 to 75ftlb and the M8 to 25ftlb using the Ultra Tq Lube. I was mostly concerned w the sequence and TQ for each pass..which they dont specify. I found the sequence i believe. It should be the samf or the LS7?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Will be interesting indeed to see how your heads look, especially at your power level, 4k miles with a blower and 20k on your engine

My car is also an 07 with 20k on it, but I am bone stock.

I don't recall see any LS7 Failures (at least ones we've tracked here) that had blowers on them..they all seem to have cams, or are stock, tracked etc..
Old 01-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Yes that sequence is correct.

Did you get the ARP clean out tap? You need to clean your threads out. Just something to remember.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 PM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get the ARP clean out tap? You need to clean your threads out. Just something to remember.
Yep, and vacuum out the crap in the bottom of the holes with a straw duct taped to the vacuum hose.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dun4791
Yep, and vacuum out the crap in the bottom of the holes with a straw duct taped to the vacuum hose.
Got it!

Im going to pick up my heads today. Ill snap photos of any irregularities.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

PLEASE, provide valve guide wear measurements.

Also, model year, miles on engine, brand and weight of oil, and how the car was driven, as well as any warm up procedure. Also, anything else you can add.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:16 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Like I said I hope RPM will post up the conditiin of the heads in general.
As far as condition and other general info: 2007 w LPE616 kit (689 lift cam)(been on the car since 5000mi) stock rockerw w Comp trunion kit also A&A V3 kit w a 3.8" pulley making 6lb. I have been running the Amsloil High Zink 5-40 amd I ALWAYS warm.the oil to 140deg before going past 2500rpm or into boost. I dont track the car at all...at most a.few 150mph plus pulls from 50mph. As of now.the car runs PERFECT..no noises, good power, no nothing. Im only doing this to put my mind at ease and to find out cor myself what all.the fuss is.about.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
PLEASE, provide valve guide wear measurements.

Also, model year, miles on engine, brand and weight of oil, and how the car was driven, as well as any warm up procedure. Also, anything else you can add.

Thanks.
Also please provide type of fuel used, what type of socks you wear when driving, how much you weigh, approximate distance from the sun during engine warm up, how many hookers have ridden shotgun, how many dead hookers have been in the trunk, what was the current phase of the moon when operating at engine temps over 150*, the name of your first pet, how many times you’ve driven north of the Mason-Dixon line, and how many times you go number 2 in a week. This should give us plenty of data to analyze guide wear.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also please provide type of fuel used, what type of socks you wear when driving, how much you weigh, approximate distance from the sun during engine warm up, how many hookers have ridden shotgun, how many dead hookers have been in the trunk, what was the current phase of the moon when operating at engine temps over 150*, the name of your first pet, how many times you’ve driven north of the Mason-Dixon line, and how many times you go number 2 in a week. This should give us plenty of data to analyze guide wear.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I would be surprised if there isn't excess wear. Every single local car I know of that has had the heads off have had severely worn guides.

Get notified of new replies

To Well...heads are coming off....

Old 01-18-2012, 02:13 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I would be surprised if there isn't excess wear. Every single local car I know of that has had the heads off have had severely worn guides.
I tend to agree with your comment, however, his car is highly modified so what does that do for those of us with bone stock motors? Not to say that bone stock motors have no guide wear, but it just seems to me everytime someone has the heads checked, it's on a modded car more often than not.

Katech has already stated from what they've seen, the problem with the guide wear seems to be accelerated on cam'd cars, or non stock motors.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Hey, if you can add anything to why some LS7's are experiencing high guide wear, we'd all like to hear it.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Like I said I hope RPM will post up the conditiin of the heads in general.
As far as condition and other general info: 2007 w LPE616 kit (689 lift cam)(been on the car since 5000mi) stock rockerw w Comp trunion kit also A&A V3 kit w a 3.8" pulley making 6lb. I have been running the Amsloil High Zink 5-40 amd I ALWAYS warm.the oil to 140deg before going past 2500rpm or into boost. I dont track the car at all...at most a.few 150mph plus pulls from 50mph. As of now.the car runs PERFECT..no noises, good power, no nothing. Im only doing this to put my mind at ease and to find out cor myself what all.the fuss is.about.
Thanks, neighbor!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Well...heads are coming off....