Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] big noise and check engine light on stady

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM
connyv
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default big noise and check engine light on stady

My ZO6 has some modifications: cammed, long tube headers, springs, intake) and I was driving down the road when after 3500 rpm the check engine was blinking and I can tell the sound changed like a deep sound instead of the race car sounds that it suposed to make....I placed the car for winter, but yesterday, I took it out as it was nice, and driving down the road, having about 6000rpm, the sounds changed like something broke inside the engine and had trouble to get the car moving, also the check engine was stady now, all the time no matter the RPM....the sound , no matter what rpm, was like a hammer bangs into the engine and it increases as the RPM increases....
I barely got to the dealer and they opened it today and said that metal pieces were there and they stopped working on it as they are waiting for the insurance guy to come in to investigate.......

1.How bad do you think it is?
2.and do you think because of the cam the waranty is avoided? I got the car as it is, cammed, etc and the insurance on the spot, with the modification already made....

thank you in advance.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM
REPZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you bought it from the dealer used with the cam already in it, I'm sure you have a used car warranty. Its usually a few months from when you bought it or a few thousand mile warranty. If you bought it from a private party with the cam in it GM will not warranty the car.
A loud banging sound coming from the motor doesn't sound too good. Any sounds like that I would shut the car down and have it towed to a shop. This way you don't cause any further damage to the motor. Good luck with it and update your progress.

Last edited by REPZ06; 01-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:13 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

1. Bad. Very bad.
2. Warranty voided.

What year model?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Brandi05vette
Instructor

Sounds like a rocker came lose or broke...you will be ok if I'm right....they will make a banging sound if the intake rocker broke or comes lose
Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
connyv
Instructor

Originally Posted by REPZ06
If you bought it from the dealer used with the cam already in it, I'm sure you have a used car warranty. Its usually a few months from when you bought it or a few thousand mile warranty. If you bought it from a private party with the cam in it GM will not warranty the car.
A loud banging sound coming from the motor doesn't sound too good. Any sounds like that I would shut the car down and have it towed to a shop. This way you don't cause any further damage to the motor. Good luck with it and update your progress.
1. from dealer got it in late November 2011 with modification on it
2.modifications done in AUG 2010 and have the papers from the other owner
3. correct it is a used car insurance
4.that is what I figured....bad news...looking forward for the insurance guy to let us know what is covered and what not....

thank you

Last edited by connyv; 01-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 PM
connyv
Instructor

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
1. Bad. Very bad.
2. Warranty voided.

What year model?
2007 ZO6 2ltz package...thx
Old 01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
connyv
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brandi05vette
Sounds like a rocker came lose or broke...you will be ok if I'm right....they will make a banging sound if the intake rocker broke or comes lose
I hope you are right my friend as I am running low in cash if I need to pay for all the engine rebuild, or something else...yes the noise is really like a hammer bangs on the engine block and it goes lowder and faster as the RPM is increasing....

thx

I will keep you posted....
Old 01-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Brandi05vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by connyv
I hope you are right my friend as I am running low in cash if I need to pay for all the engine rebuild, or something else...yes the noise is really like a hammer bangs on the engine block and it goes lowder and faster as the RPM is increasing....

thx

I will keep you posted....
does it sound like its comming from the top of the motor? like the intake? if the motor runs i would be willing to beat you broke a rocker arm..or the rocker stud...been there
Old 01-03-2012, 05:48 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by connyv
2007 ZO6 2ltz package...thx
2007 was the year that defective rocker arms were installed in some cases.

I think if the dealer has opened your motor, it would be very apparent if it's just a rocker arm.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:01 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

i hope it's covered under warranty, a new LS7 cost about 12-13k
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Doesn't sound good.

OP, please let us know how this turns out, and good luck to you.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

A flashing CE light means turn off immediately and do not run it. You probably could have saved it if you read the manual and did as it said if the CE light starts flashing.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Yawlak80-86
Racer

Sorry to say this but you should have had it looked at when the problem 1st occured. A flashing CEL occurs when you are causing severe catalyst damage, (this could be caused by a number of malfunctions).

Driving the car with a known malfunction = not a good Idea

Posting what you did/didn't do on a public forum before the car gets evaluated for possible warranty = Really not a good idea, however, it may not matter as the initial event should be in the ECM memory with a record of how many drive cycles occured since the 1st malfunction. That info, if the dealer gives it up, will void any warranty for certain.

Beating the car up with a significant known malfunction = you've screwed the pooch!

(this goes for any car)

Anytime something lets go at or near 6k rpm, you've got huge problems. At that speed, things don't just break, they fly apart!

Good luck to you.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I can only hope english is your second language. From the git-go your whole situation seems somewhat self inflicted. ANY light on the dash, blinking or not, should be attended to. Putting your car up for winter with a potential problem and then pulling it out to take it for a drive, still having NOT adressed your problem, AND running the car to 6000 rpm (prob means more like 7200) just sounds ridiculous to me. You are not driving a Civic.. You cant just ignore problems and continue to drive the car hard...or even.drive the car at all. Just my opinion of course..
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

bad things have happened.....besides the car possibly needing a major repair. i do hope for the best outcome for you, goodluck. not much sugar coating happening right now. sorry

Last edited by erikszr1; 01-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:45 AM
connyv
Instructor

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
I can only hope english is your second language. From the git-go your whole situation seems somewhat self inflicted. ANY light on the dash, blinking or not, should be attended to. Putting your car up for winter with a potential problem and then pulling it out to take it for a drive, still having NOT adressed your problem, AND running the car to 6000 rpm (prob means more like 7200) just sounds ridiculous to me. You are not driving a Civic.. You cant just ignore problems and continue to drive the car hard...or even.drive the car at all. Just my opinion of course..
Yes, English is my second language....I know, I really mesed up this time...

Get notified of new replies

To big noise and check engine light on stady

Quick Reply: [Z06] big noise and check engine light on stady