Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve Guide wear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Valve Guide wear.

Curious I was just thinking that of all the hundreds of threads on valve guide wear I can’t recall seeing any that observed any deformation of the valve seat and or valve head. That is those that measured what they consider excessive wear of the guide. If there is wear distortions I would think a leak down or compression test would see some abnormalities.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Hi Jim

I got this PM from another forum member about a month ago:

got the heads off today and found:

1. guide wear is massive

2. valve seals are destroyed by heat

3. intake ports in head bathed in oil

4. oil everywhere

5. exhaust guides worse than intakes

If i opened the exhaust valve about 1/2" I would say it has atleast 16 to 20 thousands side movement.
Very very loose.

I think when the guides get worn they no longer transfer any heat from the valve and the valve gets hot and ruins the tiny little seal and oil goes everywhere.

The intake ports were coated in oil. Looked like they were gold anodized.

Everything in the exhaust was covered in soot.

Spark plugs looked perfect.

I can't belive it did not smoke like a freight train.

I'm headed off to the head guy on monday.

You should go to chevy and get one valve seal to look at. Looks very marginal to begin with.

I will let you know as I start to put it back together.

I got this a short time afterwards when he had dropped off the heads at the shop:

I droped the heads off today. They carried them in for me and knew they were LS7 heads. That made me feel a little better.

They were not concerened just another set of heads. He said he would not replace any valves or valve springs just for the sake of changing things.

Going to spec everything out and call me.

He was not keen on the bronze guides, going to stay with the powered metal.

I think they will proably be done this week.
We went to Barber 2 weeks ago and I used 3 1/2 qts.

Zero smoke. Go figure.

His car had about 80,000 miles and a bunch of track days.

I haven't gotten any other info from him yet, but I guess the heads are done by now.

Bob

BTW, I'll see you when you're in town for the 500!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by BEZ06
His car had about 80,000 miles and a bunch of track days.

I haven't gotten any other info from him yet, but I guess the heads are done by now.

Bob
Im curious to know what kind of guides they used. Most shops use bronze guides because the powdered metal iron guides aren't available. Even GM doesn't sell them, you must buy a complete head assembly from them.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
Im curious to know what kind of guides they used. Most shops use bronze guides because the powdered metal iron guides aren't available. Even GM doesn't sell them, you must buy a complete head assembly from them.
I PM'ed him - maybe he'll chime in with some info about how the head job turned out and what kind of guides they ended up using.

Bob
Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jimman
Curious I was just thinking that of all the hundreds of threads on valve guide wear I can’t recall seeing any that observed any deformation of the valve seat and or valve head. That is those that measured what they consider excessive wear of the guide. If there is wear distortions I would think a leak down or compression test would see some abnormalities.
Here we go, just in time for the New Year!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,324 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by erick_e
I read somewhere that Lingenfelter uses OEM guides. I don't know it for a fact but they could have the connections to get them.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:59 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I read somewhere that Lingenfelter uses OEM guides. I don't know it for a fact but they could have the connections to get them.
That's what they told me when I talked to them at Sema. They use the powered metal because they can control the recipe.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
I hear ya, didn't want to bring it up but was curious on valve wear as a result of guide wear.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,324 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by jimman
That's what they told me when I talked to them at Sema. They use the powered metal because they can control the recipe.
What does that mean? Are they having them made?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Since possibly as many as half, or even more of the Z06s on this board are probably off the road right now, this one won't gain traction.

Probably 35-40 posts tops, and that might be generous.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Since possibly as many as half, or even more of the Z06s on this board are probably off the road right now, this one won't gain traction.

Probably 35-40 posts tops, and that might be generous.
I might as well drop in

I would think all the guys who can't drive their cars right now would be MORE likely to spend some time on the Forum

BTW: One of our local track guys decided to get his heads reworked. He wasn't having any problems, just getting paranoid watching his buddies blow up their engines They found badly worn guides !!

DH
Old 12-30-2011, 12:59 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I might as well drop in

I would think all the guys who can't drive their cars right now would be MORE likely to spend some time on the Forum

BTW: One of our local track guys decided to get his heads reworked. He wasn't having any problems, just getting paranoid watching his buddies blow up their engines They found badly worn guides !!

DH
i have seen ls7 cars with 5k miles on them with worn out guides
Old 12-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

And Ricky, I bet this thread gets past the 40 post mark, especially with Ryne Z06's statement above, a forum tuner here with LOTS of LS7 experience.

RyneZ06,

What issues are you finding with LS7 heads and what is your theory as to the causation of said problem, and the fix for same?

Do you think running a better oil than M1 5W30 would help with the problem and if yes, what oil and weight do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-30-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:18 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

You know how I solved my valve guide wear problem....

I bought a ZR1
Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

And Ricky, I bet this thread gets past the 40 post mark, especially with Ryne Z06's statement above, a forum tuner here with LOTS of LS7 experience.

RyneZ06,

What issues are you finding with LS7 heads and what is your theory as to the causation of said problem, and the fix for same?

Do you think running a better oil than M1 5W30 would help with the problem and if yes, what oil and weight do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
you know i am not an engineer, but i believe after talking to richard at WCCH that it might have something to do with the heat transfer with sodium filled exh valves... but there is likely other causes as well... i wouldnt be the one to really ask on that one... i know what i see and i see it alot... i personally dont care for mobil 1 that much, i feel it doesnt hold up to heat all that well... fine for street driving, maybe not quite up to the task for road course use... i have found redline, torco oil, and amsoil much much better, and i also run 10w-30 or 10w-40 in my personal c6 z06 that i road course...

Last edited by Cunningham Motorsports; 12-30-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:26 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
you know i am not an engineer, but i believe after talking to richard at WCCH that it might have something to do with the heat transfer with sodium filled exh valves... but there is likely other causes as well... i wouldnt be the one to really ask on that one... i know what i see and i see it alot... i personally dont care for mobil 1 that much, i feel it doesnt hold up to heat all that well... fine for street driving, maybe not quite up to the task for road course use... i have found redline, torco oil, and amsoil much much better, and i also run 10w-30 or 10w-40 in my personal c6 z06 that i road course...
Thank you Ryne, many of us really appreicate the insight from a high performance LSx Forum tuner on a unpopular subject, that gives us a reason for legimate concern (and motivates many like myself to keep our warranties in tact).

It will be REAL interesting to see with time whether the ZR1 has the same issue or not.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-30-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Thank you Ryne, many of us really appreicate the insight from a high performance LSx Forum tuner on a unpopular subject, that gives us a reason for legimate concern (and motivates us to keep our warranties in tact).

It will be REAL interesting to see with time whehter the ZR1 has the same issue or not.
no problem man, got any questions feel free to ask me anytime

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Guide wear.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

RyneZ06,

Thanks in advance.
Jimmy

Ryne, is one of the top (some think he is the top ) tuners and performance engine builders here in SoCal. He knows his ****. Plus he is a sponsor of our local Corvette Challenge (check SoCal and search me if interested). His C6Z06 his an animal and he can drive it on the track too

DH
Old 12-30-2011, 01:35 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Jimmy

Ryne, is one of the top (some think he is the top ) tuners and performance engine builders here in SoCal. He knows his ****. Plus he is a sponsor of our local Corvette Challenge (check SoCal and search me if interested). His C6Z06 his an animal and he can drive it on the track too

DH
thanks for the kind words howie!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
no problem man, got any questions feel free to ask me anytime
Thanks Ryne, really appreciate it man.

I am going to switch to Redline Oil I belive in the spring.

My car is driven 99% of the time on the street, shoud I go with:

OW30

0W40

5W30

5W40

10W30

10W40

I would think since a majority of wear and tear on an engine takes place upon cold start up, my common sense tells me that 0W30 makes more sense for a street driven car, that is driven in colder weather also, than 5W30 or 10W30?

What do you think?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve Guide wear.