Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] magnetic ride control...yea or nay!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

All of the fear mongering and concern about shock failures etc with the mag suspension is so funny to read about I have them on my '98 C5 which is sitting in my garage with 86k miles on it, never leaked, never had a problem, works just fine and they are nearly 14 years old That car is my daily driver so if there ever was a car that they would fail on, it would be that one. I did not have them on my 05 C6, wished that I did and actually hated driving that car because it felt like a Honda so I ended up selling it. I have them on my '11 C6 Z06 Carbon Ed. now too and I highly doubt that I would buy a vette without them in the future unless I'm trying to make some kind of dedicated race car. For an occasional track car which my Z is now being built for they are just fine and I see no need to change them otherwise I would have just slapped some Moton's on it and called it a day. I really think that a lot of the people that are negative about this system just have not spent enough time driving at high rates of speed in a car with it.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As a past owner of two Z06s and 1 Zr1 I can definitely say the Zr1 handled so much better than the twitchy Z06s. Its a soft as a caddy and tame as a kitten and then in an instant it's absolute perfection.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:12 AM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
As a past owner of two Z06s and 1 Zr1 I can definitely say the Zr1 handled so much better than the twitchy Z06s. Its a soft as a caddy and tame as a kitten and then in an instant it's absolute perfection.
did either of your z06's have F55?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:38 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
You can get the machine finish cup wheels as an option. Trust me, I've already looked into it before deciding I don't need to be buying a new car
Thanks for the correction.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Greenvetter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had F55 on a 05 coupe. Unfortunately I couldnt get the Z51 package with F55 so I had to add the z-51 sway bars to get the car to stop rolling in the turns even in sport mode. You also got the base GY tires which I wont even comment about other than those got changed too. After those mods it was much better.

I got rid of that car and bought an 08 Z06 and put a set of PS2's on it. I think it rides better than my 05 coupe did in any mode. I dont think I would have spent the money for F55 on the Z06 if it was available in 08.

BTW, both of these cars are DD's 10 months a year.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:12 PM
sky1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I did purchase a 12 with the mag suspension,and I love the way it handles over my 06Z.I can't wait to do some track days with it to see what the mag suspension can really do.The car is so stable and composed no matter what you are doing.The only neg with the Z07 package is the car has to be driven every second,and what I mean by that is if there is any imperfection in the road the car will pull slightly that way,and you have to be aware to keep it straight.

Name:  2011-11-25_11-25-57_270.jpg
Views: 3315
Size:  81.1 KB
The following users liked this post:
Whiteonrice (02-23-2020)
Old 12-21-2011, 07:20 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Congrats. The pulling is probably the alignment or the tires. If you have the PS2's, I'd have the alignment checked.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 PM
sky1
Racer

I think it is the alignment and the tires.I mean there is nothing wrong with the alignment,it is just with the Z07 package there is alot of neg camber,and with the Pilot Sport Cup tires it just kinda goes where it wants.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sky1
I think it is the alignment and the tires.I mean there is nothing wrong with the alignment,it is just with the Z07 package there is alot of neg camber,and with the Pilot Sport Cup tires it just kinda goes where it wants.
I forgot the Z07 package came with the Cup tires and more aggressive alignment. It should be a track beast!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Werks
Drifting

Well I did purchase a 12 with the mag suspension,and I love the way it handles over my 06Z.I can't wait to do some track days with it to see what the mag suspension can really do.The car is so stable and composed no matter what you are doing.The only neg with the Z07 package is the car has to be driven every second,and what I mean by that is if there is any imperfection in the road the car will pull slightly that way,and you have to be aware to keep it straight.

Beautiful car, my '11 Carbon Edition is the same color
Old 12-21-2011, 08:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The Z07 package is a different option then the F-55, by itself.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 PM
sky1
Racer

Werks,thanks yea I was going to get an 11 Carbon Edition the same color,but last second decided to go with the 12 with the Z07 package.Congrats on the 11 Carbon Edition=badass ride.

In the future I want to do some mods and get some more hp out of the LS7.I just figured with the Z07 package (with the mag control shocks) and the ceramic brakes,I would not have to upgrade them in the future,and just do motor.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Werks
Drifting

Werks,thanks yea I was going to get an 11 Carbon Edition the same color,but last second decided to go with the 12 with the Z07 package.Congrats on the 11 Carbon Edition=badass ride.

In the future I want to do some mods and get some more hp out of the LS7.I just figured with the Z07 package (with the mag control shocks) and the ceramic brakes,I would not have to upgrade them in the future,and just do motor.
Thanks I love the car and the IO color all that I can say is (as I'm sure that you notice) man that color just pop's in the sun! The big plus that you have with the '12 is PTM which I want to see if we can get to work on my car also. I hear you about the thought process on upgrades but all that I can say is once you bit by the bug, watch out lol! I'm having drop spindles put on and a bunch of other stuff done to my car now over at Katech. If you are thinking about having some motor work done I'd definitely recommend you give some serious thought to considering them. Not only are they great people to work with but I would say that they probably have more experience with the LS7 engine than any other company out there.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:32 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks
It seems to me that for an out of the box solution that the system offers several advantages. Looking at the '12 Z06's with PTM you get an all inclusive system that controls not only shock stiffness but integrates traction control settings with it. This is a highly advanced system which seems to be well worth the money. If you looks at the ZR1's they seem to be doing quite well on the track with this system also. Also do not forget that Lou ran them on his ZR1 when he won the Spectre hill climb not once but twice and I'm quite sure that with their resources if they felt there were improvements to be had by installing coil overs, they probably would have installed them.

Can a high quality coil over set up possibly perform better than the magnetic suspension set up? I would say yes. If the owner ran on one track and took the time and had the know how to fine tune the suspension set up for the specific track & conditions that he is running on. Change tracks or conditions though and it's back to the drawing board with the coil overs. While with the magnetic ride the computer is analyzing things and adjusting stuff in real time. So while the "expert" might be able to tweak out an extra 10% or so out of a coil over set up on a track that he always runs on, those that are less knowledgeable will probably be better served with a suspension that tunes it self.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 PM
TB427Z06
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 182 Posts

I agree 100% about the F-55 ride stability and comfort over a stock Z06.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

I noticed the same darting issue when I went from stock sized INVOs to OEM ZR1 wheels with PS2 ZPs (alignment remained the same). I think is is a combination of the change in front tire width (18" 275 to 19" 285) and alignment. I laid the two tires down side-by-side to see the difference, and the 285s were significantly wider than the 275s. Front tires also skip (popping) more at full lock now too. I'm having my alignment guy dial in a little more toe (set at zero now) to see if that helps. If not, may dail out some camber (at -1.29 now).
Old 12-23-2011, 02:21 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Minkster
I noticed the same darting issue when I went from stock sized INVOs to OEM ZR1 wheels with PS2 ZPs (alignment remained the same). I think is is a combination of the change in front tire width (18" 275 to 19" 285) and alignment. I laid the two tires down side-by-side to see the difference, and the 285s were significantly wider than the 275s. Front tires also skip (popping) more at full lock now too. I'm having my alignment guy dial in a little more toe (set at zero now) to see if that helps. If not, may dail out some camber (at -1.29 now).
I have a standard 09 Z06 and don't have the trammeling with 295/35-18 NT=05's on the front. As far as I know my alignment is factory spec, but that may be different from the alignment on the Z07 option.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I have a standard 09 Z06 and don't have the trammeling with 295/35-18 NT=05's on the front. As far as I know my alignment is factory spec, but that may be different from the alignment on the Z07 option.
That's good to know, and I'm hoping the toe adjustment will fix it. It's not a drastic problem, just a little annoying at times when I go over uneven pavement.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:03 PM
sky1
Racer

The other day my wife and i where traveling down the road when the road surface changed to where the expansion joints where pretty bumpy,so I changed the setting to touring on my mag suspension,and it took alot of the harshness out,and made it more comfortable.I kinda feel like I can have my cake and eat it too.

Quick Reply: [Z06] magnetic ride control...yea or nay!