Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2007 Z06 Rough Idle Video...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Z0SIXXXIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Z06 Rough Idle Video...Help!

Look at this YouTube video and let me know what you think could be the issue (vacuum, ignition, fuel pump, injector, etc.). The video is a start in the morning when engine is cold....all I do is start the car with no throttle. The car is barely running, then 5 seconds later runs normal. I don't have the problem again until I start the engine at cold again the next morning. The engine is stock. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi4G4GkLZW8&feature=youtube_gdat a_player
Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

There is a thread on here about a weak MAF sensor. Mine does something similar on startup sometimes but it doesnt matter is mine is cold or hot. There is a code on the sensor that tells you if it is one of the bad ones......mine was but I didnt get a new one yet.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Z0SIXXXIN
Instructor

Actually thats the first thing I checked. I used my dads MAF from his 2008....the code on it is the one indicating that it's the "good" one. Still have the same issue.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:27 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think it's fuel, or it wouldn't start at all.

It could be ignition or even alternator not putting out enough right at first.

Are you getting any codes?
Have you checked your grounds?

Not likely that vacuum problem would suddenly cure itself 5 seconds after start.

That's my first stab....Still thinking on it...
Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 AM
felo357
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

How many miles, could be a bad spark plug wire lose is something with the coils or wires
take the plugs out see if their wet with oil worst case is that you have oil consumption and over night piston get wet with oil and in the morning is having trouble cleaning all that crap inside.
1 check all the wires spark plugs
2 pull the plugs and look to see if their wet or black from burning oil
3 have you been inspecting oil levels
4 any smoke in the morning from first star up
Old 12-03-2011, 10:22 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here you go

Old 12-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Z0SIXXXIN
Instructor

Thanks for replies.....here are some of the things I think we can cross off the list. Has never thrown a code and has 19k miles. Oil is still at the same level. No smoke at all. I have completely removed all plug wires, inspected, and reinstalled....although I did not inspect the plugs (I will look at them today). Also, I'm not an expert so correct me if I'm wrong, but the ignition being the problem does not make sense to me. If it was a faulty plug, coil pack, wire, etc, I would expect to get more of an intermittent and random problem. This issue only occurs when sitting longer than 6 hours, the longer it sits, the worse the stumble is, although it doesn't get much worse than what the video shows. Same thing with if a ground was the issue....would expect more intermittent and random of a problem....even would expect it to occur while driving. Ill check the plugs and alternator today, thanks.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:35 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe fint some way to get a Tech II on it and scan a cold start...
Old 12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Battery battery battery
Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Z0SIXXXIN
Instructor

So the plugs look fine...but get this. For the first start of the morning, I jump started my car, keeping the other car running to run off of its battery and alternator initially. Once I turned it over, it had a very quick initial stumble (less than 1 second), but after this it was fine. Wasn't near as bad as it normally is. So at this point I'm taking the direction of the alternator, battery, and voltage regulator (although I don't believe the regulator is at fault). The problem is it is fine for most of the day after the initial stumble, so I can only troubleshoot for 6 seconds at the first startup of the day. So is there any explanation for a bad alternator acting this way? I have never seen a bad alternator cause this type of issue. I will get it scanned during a cold start as a final cry for help as I have been yanked around so many times that I would like to come prepared so when they tell me the alternator is bad, I can tell them they are full of s***. Like I said, I'm not an expert, but am fairly automotively inclined. Thanks again for suggestions.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:43 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Pull the air cleaner housing off and take a look at the throttle plate and body. If its fouled get some spray carb cleaner and using a rag clean off the oily grim from the plate and the thorttle body opening.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 AM
felo357
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

how about this put the battery from the other car in and wait till the morning to see if it does this it could possibly be that the battery is losing cca cold cracking amps if you put a voltmeter it would read fine but if you put a load tester you will see it drop fast so change the battery from the other card to eliminate that the battery is prob going bad scenario
Old 12-04-2011, 01:20 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by felo357
how about this put the battery from the other car in and wait till the morning to see if it does this it could possibly be that the battery is losing cca cold cracking amps if you put a voltmeter it would read fine but if you put a load tester you will see it drop fast so change the battery from the other card to eliminate that the battery is prob going bad scenario
I like this idea.

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 Z06 Rough Idle Video...Help!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2007 Z06 Rough Idle Video...Help!