Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How many are going to be pulling their heads this winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many are going to be pulling their heads this winter?

With the never ending stream of I blew my engine, my car uses 10 gallons of oil, and 06quicksilvers lists, how many of you owners will be pulling your heads this winter? What do you plan on doing to remedy if you do have guide wear? Stainless valves? Bronze guides?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenstealth
With the never ending stream of I blew my engine, my car uses 10 gallons of oil, and 06quicksilvers lists, how many of you owners will be pulling your heads this winter? What do you plan on doing to remedy if you do have guide wear? Stainless valves? Bronze guides?
I have no intention of doing anything with mine. I'm siding with the 26,000 or so who have never had a problem.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 AM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I have no intention of doing anything with mine. I'm siding with the 26,000 or so who have never had a problem.
I couldn't agree more!

If your road racing or heavy modding, then yes, I can understand taking extra precautions. But that is true with most any automobile at some point.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Come on, man.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I COMPLETELY agree!

Now with that said I am pulling my heads.....

Sorry guys to have gone over to the darkside, but their strategy of doing one million posts about how terrible the LS7 is finally convinced me that my stock heads on a extremely modified LSx motor in a car that is tracked (not street driven), is an anomaly and surely it will blow any second now.

Not. In reality I am going to be doing "Phase II" of power upgrades this off season and the heads are coming off for porting, but especially milling for race gas compression.

I will have Katech do whatever they feel is necessary to the heads (and the rest of the build).

Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ClarksZ06
I couldn't agree more!

If your road racing or heavy modding, then yes, I can understand taking extra precautions. But that is true with most any automobile at some point.

I agree 100 percent and don't you guys think you are over doing it with these repetitive threads? It's getting rather ridiculous and posts like this really seem to be beating a dead horse add nauseum!! My Z is fully warrantied through GMPP for 4 more years, and they have really been stepping up to the plate lastly on their warranties so I have no worries, and the last thing I'm going to do is void said warranty by pulling off heads and making changes to my stock LS7.

To the op do you really think this thread is going to give you new info that has already been discussed 2000 times already, with everyone giving 100 different opinions? Why not just use the search function instead of keeping this c6 z section filled with negative repetition? Why not just call WCCH if your running scared and ship your heads over there and be done with it already?

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-03-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Xwet
Racer

I just love this forum.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:52 AM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If anyone is looking for a set of WCCH 13.8:1 high compression heads, I'm switching my setup over from the high compression N/A and going to a low compression boosted application, so I have a set of perfect WCCH heads with around 1000 miles on them. SS ex. valves, bronze guides on intake and exhaust, stock Ti intake valves, angle milled for high compression that I am looking to sell/trade for a stock set to send back to WCCH to work over for a low compression setup. I don't think Boost and 13.8:1 is a good combination for a street car.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default sexual?

the title made me wonder for a minute.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_change
If anyone is looking for a set of WCCH 13.8:1 high compression heads, I'm switching my setup over from the high compression N/A and going to a low compression boosted application, so I have a set of perfect WCCH heads with around 1000 miles on them. SS ex. valves, bronze guides on intake and exhaust, stock Ti intake valves, angle milled for high compression that I am looking to sell/trade for a stock set to send back to WCCH to work over for a low compression setup. I don't think Boost and 13.8:1 is a good combination for a street car.
Specifically, how much were they milled - .035 or .040? Did WCCH do ALL the work on them?

PM sent.

Last edited by Everett Ogilvie; 11-03-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:10 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

I have a warranty and my car is stock...so it's GM's problem if it goes boom. Plus, we drive during the winter here
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 AM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Specifically, how much were they milled - .035 or .040? Did WCCH do ALL the work on them?

PM sent.
They were angle milled mostly....only flat milled around .010 if memory serves me correctly. Yes, Richard at WCCH did all the work to these heads.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:05 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,091 Posts

My heads are off the car right now. Getting guides replaced. Car was consuming excessive oil, and it turns out one of the valve seals was broken. Having the guides checked and replaced while it's apart. Also getting the headers coated (JetHot Extreme Sterling).

I'd rather never have a problem knowing I did the preventative measures than have the motor blow, wishing I had spent the few extra bucks.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:11 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You guys need to get a life. I prolly will be pulling mine but mainly because id rather get the heads ported/checked out for an extra $300-400 over headers adding more whp and keeping it more sleeper. Be funny to see the look on their faces when I smoke them and pop the hood and tell him its intake only LOL
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Why would I spend the best time of the year away from racing to pull my heads. No way!!! The only thing I'm doing is watching the behavior of the car and she's been doing great!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
I COMPLETELY agree!

Now with that said I am pulling my heads.....

Sorry guys to have gone over to the darkside, but their strategy of doing one million posts about how terrible the LS7 is finally convinced me that my stock heads on a extremely modified LSx motor in a car that is tracked (not street driven), is an anomaly and surely it will blow any second now.

Not. In reality I am going to be doing "Phase II" of power upgrades this off season and the heads are coming off for porting, but especially milling for race gas compression.

I will have Katech do whatever they feel is necessary to the heads (and the rest of the build).

Et tu Brutu?

A little levity here and there goes a long way in life.

To get something positive out of these extremely repetitive theads please post up your findings concerning valve guide and valve wear on your highly moddified LS7 engine that sees a lot of track action. If I were you I would be doing the same thing as your by far in the highest risk group (tracked hard and moddified).

Of course giving the fact you have been your using LS7 in a race car I would be shocked if you did not find signficant valve guide and exhaust valve wear, as signficant wear on internal engine parts will happen on any high performance engine that is tracked hard/raced, etc.

Best of luck and look forward to your findings, smart move on your part given your mods and being a track rat.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-03-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
I agree 100 percent and don't you guys think you are over doing it with these repetitive threads? It's getting rather ridiculous and posts like this really seem to be beating a dead horse add nauseum!! My Z is fully warrantied through GMPP for 4 more years, and they have really been stepping up to the plate lastly on their warranties so I have no worries, and the last thing I'm going to do is void said warranty by pulling off heads and making changes to my stock LS7.

To the op do you really think this thread is going to give you new info that has already been discussed 2000 times already, with everyone giving 100 different opinions? Why not just use the search function instead of keeping this c6 z section filled with negative repetition? Why not just call WCCH if your running scared and ship your heads over there and be done with it already?

To mopar jimmy and others who are flaming me for this, i've read the million and a half threads. I've searched, and now i'm asking a simple question, how many are planning on taking their heads off the engine and checked/ addressed. NOWHERE DID I SAY THE LS7 IS GOING TO BLOW UP ON EVERY CAR. mopar, you could have replied with "my car is under warranty" and that would have sufficed. You guys wonder why these threads get out of hand. Honestly, answer the question, keep it short and sweet or don't post in it if a simple question provokes you to ramble and apparently get insulted. Good day, gentlemen.

Get notified of new replies

To How many are going to be pulling their heads this winter?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm taking mine off around Thanksgiving if she does not blow up before then.

She will have a little over 80K and many many easy track days by then.

Guess it is about time to take a peak.

Wish me luck.........

Last edited by *C7*; 11-03-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Greenstealth
To mopar jimmy and others who are flaming me for this, i've read the million and a half threads. I've searched, and now i'm asking a simple question, how many are planning on taking their heads off the engine and checked/ addressed

If you have done this then why can't you simply come to your own decision regarding what is best for you, as oppossed to starting another negative LS7 thread, which in turn will lead to 5 more negative threads, and so forth and so on. If you read all these threads and are worried (and I don't blame you if your out of warranty) why not simply pick up the phone (if not done already) and call the top notch LS7 head expert, like Richard at WCCH, and then make an informative decision. Its b/c of the repetition of all these negative threads that things turn into train wrecks quickly. People are TIRED of the repitition and same old arguments, conjecture, debates, theorys, fixes to the problem, and one different opinion after the other, without any definitive diagnosis of the problem or a sure fix for same.

I am not going to go back and forth with you and waste more time and put in negative energy on a topic that has been discussed a million times.

Best of luck to you on your decisions and your LS7 engine and hope yet another thread on this topic brings clarity to your decision making process.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-03-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6 Z06
I'm taking mine off around Thanksgiving if she does blow up before then.

She will have a little over 80K and many many easy track days by then.

Guess it is about time to take a peak.

Wish me luck.........

Where are you taking/sending them?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How many are going to be pulling their heads this winter?