Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] sold my 06 z today before it blows

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Chad06Z06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sold my 06 z today before it blows

Sold my 06 z06 today with 32k total miles 1500 on the new motor.....to many motors letting go....talked to jermey formato in tampa...ls7 tunner...he said in the last 10 months 10 motor have let go....thats to much for me was gonna cam the car....but i got offered 40k for the car and figured it was better to get out of it.....anyone here that thinks these motors have no problems,,,well give me what ur smoking, it must be good stuff
Old 09-21-2011, 05:21 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Not worried. Got rid of my hollow-stem valves a long time ago.

I'll have the guides checked next month. Car is going in for some minor surgery again. Fast intake and possibly a different cam.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 PM
SVT F15O
Pro

Buh-bye!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:23 PM
SVT F15O
Pro

BTW, everything breaks.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad06Z06
Sold my 06 z06 today with 32k total miles 1500 on the new motor.....to many motors letting go....talked to jermey formato in tampa...ls7 tunner...he said in the last 10 months 10 motor have let go....thats to much for me was gonna cam the car....but i got offered 40k for the car and figured it was better to get out of it.....anyone here that thinks these motors have no problems,,,well give me what ur smoking, it must be good stuff
that there is definitely something going on with some of them.

BTW, what are you going to get now Chad? Another Vette or something else?

Originally Posted by SVT F15O
BTW, everything breaks.
Some things sooner than others.

Hearts break, backs break, wills break, coffee breaks, datsda breaks.

Yep, you're right. Everything breaks.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-21-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Chad06Z06
Intermediate

I already have a 2010 camaro ss....that will get me buy for now I quess.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Chad06Z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SVT F15O
BTW, everything breaks.
Yes this is true but I have had fast cars since I was 18...never dropped a valve on any of them....and these cars are dropping valves left and right....somthing is wrong....not saying somthing is wrong with all of them....but I'm not taking any chances when the motors on these car are 15k and I might have a good or bad one....thats my take
Old 09-21-2011, 05:32 PM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's how I feel about mine even though nothing has ever happened to it. Who wants mine 35k lol
Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Yes this is true but I have had fast cars since I was 18...never dropped a valve on any of them....and these cars are dropping valves left and right....somthing is wrong....not saying somthing is wrong with all of them....but I'm not taking any chances when the motors on these car are 15k and I might have a good or bad one....thats my take
Some of these reports have convinced me to not stay in this car for the long haul either.

I intend to keep driving it like I always have. But I'm looking for the exit ramp too. Doing my due diligence now
Old 09-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Chad06Z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Some of these reports have convinced me to not stay in this car for the long haul either.

I intend to keep driving it like I always have. But I'm looking for the exit ramp too. Doing my due diligence now
quick you have deff done ur homework on this issue....sad wasn't easy to watch it go...loved the car....just scared to drive it....I thought this issue was bs to when first started seeing this happen....after it happend to me changed my tune on this issue....hope other ppl have better luck than I did
Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm in it for the long haul. Before my b2b expiires I plan to buy extened and keep it until 5-6 years and then have a new one built.

The factory one will become a deco in my man cave (on a engine stand)....
Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 PM
ODE-Z
Instructor

I dunno to me there is no other car I could imagine driving for the money. I just pulled the heads and fixed the possible problem so I dont have to worry and while i was in there added some power.

Ta DAaa Im not worried! The car is amazing if the motor goes I'll just build save up my pennies and build a motor even more badass
Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No manufacturer builds a bullet proof engine and if you check warranty history they are all replacing an engine or two and that includes the luxury manufacturers. The forum likely represents the top couple of percent of Corvette owners who are most vocal etc. If you also take a look at the % of those cars that were modified or tracked extensively the ratio increases for failures. Selling the car is only selling yourself short of an amazing vehicle. The Camaro is nice but a long ways off from a C6Z. Would it not have been easier just to buy a C6Z with powertrain warranty and then not have to worry about it? Either way good luck with the new Chevy!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Chad06Z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ODE-Z
I dunno to me there is no other car I could imagine driving for the money. I just pulled the heads and fixed the possible problem so I dont have to worry and while i was in there added some power.

Ta DAaa Im not worried! The car is amazing if the motor goes I'll just build save up my pennies and build a motor even more badass
If you got the funds I don't blame you
Old 09-21-2011, 06:03 PM
ODE-Z
Instructor

Welp after this motor work I do not lmao however if the motor let go due to something like that then thats what they have credit for lmao

As of now I am going on faith in my engine guy to now have me a stoudt reliable LS7.....Fingers crossed lmao cause I am going to drive it like I stole it! Well not quite that hard lol.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry that things didn't work out for your Z and for the woes you endured. I was going to suggest the ZR1 until I learned you had a Camaro SS to carry you through. Good luck, Chad
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Chad06Z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
No manufacturer builds a bullet proof engine and if you check warranty history they are all replacing an engine or two and that includes the luxury manufacturers. The forum likely represents the top couple of percent of Corvette owners who are most vocal etc. If you also take a look at the % of those cars that were modified or tracked extensively the ratio increases for failures. Selling the car is only selling yourself short of an amazing vehicle. The Camaro is nice but a long ways off from a C6Z. Would it not have been easier just to buy a C6Z with powertrain warranty and then not have to worry about it? Either way good luck with the new Chevy!
they did warranty the first motor...was without my car for over a month....also my car was stock with only headers and cai.....I have 2 friends that have had same isses...friends that i know well we hangout together...zosicktanner is a member here dropped intake valve...another friend thats not a member broke a valve spring.....like I said I have had fast cars all my life I'm 42 and i have never broke a valve spring or have seen any bad guide wear this fast as the ls7...built many of 302 fox mustang motors in the day with stock blocks with 400 plus rwhp. they lasted years

Get notified of new replies

To sold my 06 z today before it blows

Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

quick you have deff done ur homework on this issue....sad wasn't easy to watch it go...loved the car....just scared to drive it....I thought this issue was bs to when first started seeing this happen....after it happend to me changed my tune on this issue....hope other ppl have better luck than I did
True. You have to trust your equipment.

Whether this issue is real or bogus, it still comes down to that, and that's what a lot of people are not understanding. The owner has to trust his equipment.

Once you reached the point to where you felt that you could no longer trust it, then you had no choice but to hat up.

I have never kept a car for long which I did not have 100% confidence in.

And a few things I have read and seen in here, have shaken my confidence in the stock LS7, and apparently, I am not alone in that assessment.

Were it only "home brew" modded cars popping, it wouldn't faze me.

But bone stock cars, which have never had a "shade tree" mechanic's wrench on them, a getting hit with this issue

And before anyone comes in saying that they eliminate tracked cars from the sample pool, I don't.

The car was sold touting it's ability to perform on the track "bone stock".

Thus if it fails there, bone stock, then I want to know the circumstances.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Chad06Z06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
True. You have to trust your equipment.

Whether this issue is real or bogus, it still comes down to that, and that's what a lot of people are not understanding. The owner has to trust his equipment.

Once you reached the point to where you felt that you could no longer trust it, then you had no choice but to hat up.

I have never kept a car for long which I did not have 100% confidence in.

And a few things I have read and seen in here, have shaken my confidence in the stock LS7, and apparently, I am not alone in that assessment.

Were it only "home brew" modded cars popping, it wouldn't faze me.

But bone stock cars, which have never had a "shade tree" mechanic's wrench on them, a getting hit with this issue

And before anyone comes in saying that they eliminate tracked cars from the sample pool, I don't.

The car was sold touting it's ability to perform on the track "bone stock".

Thus if it fails there, bone stock, then I want to know the circumstances.
100%
Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

they did warranty the first motor...was without my car for over a month....also my car was stock with only headers and cai..
Did GM give you any hassle about claiming that? I have headers as well and I have always been curious. But I have never even thought about selling the car because they blow up. I watched an LS2 blow, get replaced, blow another two days later. Watched another LS2 break a spring. Watched an LS1 break a spring. etc etc. It happens, it's life.

Quick Reply: [Z06] sold my 06 z today before it blows