Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Is Anybody Running Hoosier's A6 345/30-19 on the Streets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:39 PM
DaddyBarlow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Anybody Running Hoosier's A6 345/30-19 on the Streets?

I'm currently running Nitto NT05R Drag radials on the streets, and I'm not really happy with the traction I get with them. In my car, you really have to do a full burn-out to get them to heat-up before I can get the needed traction to hook in 2nd gear.

I need a sticky tire that I don't need to heat up as much. I'm not concerned with wear. I run 60-120+ a lot, so I need the traction on the streets.

Before, I get a 1000 comments that say, these are race tires made for the race track, blah, blah, blah...I know. But, I have tried all "street tires" and I need more traction.

I won't be running them much...no rain, etc. I'm looking for traction on the streets. I'm making a true 620hp+ at the wheels.

Any helpful comments are welcome about running Hoosier's A6 345/30-19's on the streets.

Thanks, DB
Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

how are the nt05r's up top? like the stability? any sway?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,988 Likes on 5,360 Posts

I don't think an autocross tire is going to be what you want. They do get better traction at lower tire temps (130s) but they may not be able to handle the torque you apply to them on a shift from first to second at WOT at max rpm. With a stock car I have trouble getting sticky tires to hook up on a shift from first to second on the second lap (tires warm) of a run on a Go Kart track with a 200 ft straight if I run up close to the rev limiter. Even had trouble doing this with a stock C5 Z06.

Bill
Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 AM
DaddyBarlow
Racer

Originally Posted by 07cobaltss/sc
how are the nt05r's up top? like the stability? any sway?
Not great for stability. You have to run low tire pressures for them to work better off the line, plus the sidewalls are softer. I would not push them over 150.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Well like how you say you do alot of 60-120 pulls does it feel fine up to that fast? And driving on the freeway does it ever feel like it will come out from you very easy? I know the sidewalls are softer than a typical tire but they are suppose to be better than other DR's
Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Black_Mamba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run R6's daily. I make 594rwhp all motor. From 60mph that will put you in second gear. The R6 will hold that with ease. The A6 will be even better. Frequently do 40 from first gear to 170-180 on the R6 no big problems. I have raced on NOS making 700rwhp and hooked fairly well, may get some wheelspin but it will then hook. The A6 I suspect will hook great on that situation. If I use progressive control it will hook with ease from second gear.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 PM
DaddyBarlow
Racer

Originally Posted by Black_Mamba
I have run R6's daily. I make 594rwhp all motor. From 60mph that will put you in second gear. The R6 will hold that with ease. The A6 will be even better. Frequently do 40 from first gear to 170-180 on the R6 no big problems. I have raced on NOS making 700rwhp and hooked fairly well, may get some wheelspin but it will then hook. The A6 I suspect will hook great on that situation. If I use progressive control it will hook with ease from second gear.
Good info. What sizes do you run up front and rear?

For what I want to do, do you think the A6 is better choice for me than the R6? I'm in Michigan.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 PM
DaddyBarlow
Racer

Originally Posted by 07cobaltss/sc
Well like how you say you do alot of 60-120 pulls does it feel fine up to that fast? And driving on the freeway does it ever feel like it will come out from you very easy? I know the sidewalls are softer than a typical tire but they are suppose to be better than other DR's
Yes, I think they are fine up to those speeds. They feel a little unstable if you switching lanes a lot at high speeds. But, I do think they are fine up to 140 or so. They don't feel like you are going lose control...unless you break them loose under power at 80mph, like I do...lol.

Overall, I think they are fine tire. But the compound is not soft enough for my car...unless you heat them up (burn-outs). On hot days, the traction is also pretty good. Living in Cali, I think you should be good.

And they will get you home in light rain (at least when they are new).
Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:44 PM
MPM IV
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have the Hoosier R6 and 600RWHP all motor. I can go wide open in second gear without spinning. I have a C5 with 3.73 rear gears, so with a 3.42 you should hook even better. I had planned to try the NT05R next, maybe I'll consider the A6. I'm running 345s in the rear and 275s up front.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 PM
DaddyBarlow
Racer

Originally Posted by MPM IV
I also have the Hoosier R6 and 600RWHP all motor. I can go wide open in second gear without spinning. I have a C5 with 3.73 rear gears, so with a 3.42 you should hook even better. I had planned to try the NT05R next, maybe I'll consider the A6. I'm running 345s in the rear and 275s up front.
Good info! I think the A6 tire should be better for the cooler temps here.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Black_Mamba
Racer

Originally Posted by DaddyBarlow
Good info. What sizes do you run up front and rear?

For what I want to do, do you think the A6 is better choice for me than the R6? I'm in Michigan.
295 fronts 345 rears. R6 all corners.

A6 is a better choice for what you want IMO.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:49 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I would say for what you are wanting the A6 is a better tire hands down. Doesn't take hardly any temp to get them to hook at all.

Now the only downside from this is that the more you drive on them, the more they are going to work harden so if you put a lot of miles and time on them and a lot of heat cycles they are going to probably wear out quicker grip wise before they wear out tread wise. That is true of any race tire though.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,116 Posts

What's the difference between A6 and R6? The specs look identical.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 PM
ODE-Z
Instructor

I am really interested in all this too cause my car came with NT-05s which I though were fantastic in stock form but now my car has 563/472 on a mustang dyno so Im thinkin that they are not going to work near as well.

The Hoosiers look and sound awesome but in looking at them I would just worry about getting stuck on a trip in the rain. In which case they look not soo good I may have to stick with the NT-05s and try the NT-05Rs that at least have some water channeling.

Thank you for the info guys!!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by EViL427
What's the difference between A6 and R6? The specs look identical.
As far as lap times go, on a 1.7 to 2 mile road course the A6 will be roughly 1 second quicker given all other specs the same, but will fall off quicker and wear out quicker.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Black_Mamba
Racer

Originally Posted by ODE-Z
I am really interested in all this too cause my car came with NT-05s which I though were fantastic in stock form but now my car has 563/472 on a mustang dyno so Im thinkin that they are not going to work near as well.

The Hoosiers look and sound awesome but in looking at them I would just worry about getting stuck on a trip in the rain. In which case they look not soo good I may have to stick with the NT-05s and try the NT-05Rs that at least have some water channeling.

Thank you for the info guys!!
Little story/anecdote... Track day, Solo1, drove 44 miles to and from track. I had the R6 all four corners. On the way back home a huge torrential rain pours. I was scared ******** at first. Slowed down to a 30mph crawl at the most. Surprisingly the car behaved very well. I had time to recall how badly, and with less water on the road, the MH racemaster DR on my old Supra hydroplaned at 15-20mph even with all the lines cut into it. Thing is. Friend of mine on another Z06 did same drive but he had two INVO up front and two NT05R rears, obviously he was not there to race. Guess who did not make it home in one piece and now has a new vette?

I know there are many other variables at play and that luck may in fact be involved. Point is, don't judge a book by it's cover. The number of grooves or lack thereof may not be the greatest indicator as to ultimate safety or performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Anybody Running Hoosier's A6 345/30-19 on the Streets?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Little story/anecdote... Track day, Solo1, drove 44 miles to and from track. I had the R6 all four corners. On the way back home a huge torrential rain pours. I was scared ******** at first. Slowed down to a 30mph crawl at the most. Surprisingly the car behaved very well. I had time to recall how badly, and with less water on the road, the MH racemaster DR on my old Supra hydroplaned at 15-20mph even with all the lines cut into it. Thing is. Friend of mine on another Z06 did same drive but he had two INVO up front and two NT05R rears, obviously he was not there to race. Guess who did not make it home in one piece and now has a new vette?

I know there are many other variables at play and that luck may in fact be involved. Point is, don't judge a book by it's cover. The number of grooves or lack thereof may not be the greatest indicator as to ultimate safety or performance.
Your friend's problem can easily be attributed to the fact that the Invos channel water very well and have decent wet traction and the NT-05Rs don't. Thus, see here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-question.html

Never a good idea to mix tire types. Unpredictable handling can result.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 PM
NachosZO6
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

BlackMamba,

How long do these tires last? I don't daily drive my car and I found out this last weekend that I really need sticky tires. I was looking at the MT DR but haven't read anything about them. The A6 may grip better but the R6 will last a longer. Is that a correct statement? I don't drive in the rain either and won't DD my car either. Just a weekend toy.

I was planning on getting the INVO's up front and a DR out back, but after reading that, I'll be going with the same tire in all 4 corners.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NachosZO6
BlackMamba,

How long do these tires last? I don't daily drive my car and I found out this last weekend that I really need sticky tires. I was looking at the MT DR but haven't read anything about them. The A6 may grip better but the R6 will last a longer. Is that a correct statement? I don't drive in the rain either and won't DD my car either. Just a weekend toy.

I was planning on getting the INVO's up front and a DR out back, but after reading that, I'll be going with the same tire in all 4 corners.
just get NT05 up front and NT05R outback

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is Anybody Running Hoosier's A6 345/30-19 on the Streets?