Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Video of why I bought the Harrop:

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Video of why I bought the Harrop:

750 rpms...untuned (click on picture for link to vid):

Now I remember why I bought the Harrop. The car idles like a stock motor with *maybe* a cheater cam. If that. It is super quiet at idle and cruise with 2" headers, and Magnaflow exhausts (no cats in this video although there will be cats installed). ZERO drone at ANY rpm period. My old 402 and 1 7/8" headers droned around 1600-1700rpm in 6th gear.

Zero cam surging. I drive 25-30mph in 4th gear perfectly. I put the cruise on in 6th gear at 55mph (1300-1400rpms), and the motor just hums along perfectly for 30+ miles on the Parkway (law abiding citizen).
I can hit it at 2k rpm and it punches you in your chest and pulls instantly to 6850rpms (my current rev limiter--I'm going to increase it to 7100rpm). It just slams right into the rev limiter. It revs so freakin fast, and pulls so hard it's ridiculous.

The car will go on the dyno this Friday, and depending how long it stays on the dyno, I may take it to E-town to ice skate a bit after. At this point, I don't care if it only makes 550hp. I have no idea if the new cam makes more power or less. The power this thing makes with the factory-like idle/drivability is epic. I did get caught up in the #'s for a minute, but then I had to remember what my criteria while building it was (I was trying to build a supercar Ls engine that could have basically come from the factory due to drivability characteristics--N/A of course). That doesn't mean I don't hope to see a 6xx rwhp # and the mph to back it up, just that I won't be crying in my cornflakes if it falls short.

The downside to this intake is that you have to learn how to drive again. The throttle response is like nothing most have ever experienced. It wants to rev like a banshee. The upside is that it's really hard to make the car stall, and you can basically let the clutch out at idle and cruise around a parking lot with zero gas pedal. This thing is crazy.

Update story since engine dyno and tuning:

After Ed and Va Speed tuned my harrop/468 on their engine dyno, I decided to build a bigger badder higher HP and rpm motor for the GTM and put this motor in my c6.

I had the motor shipped from Va Speed to Erik @ HKE for a much larger cam install. Erik then sent the motor to Kevin Smalley of Smalley Automotive and Performance in Point Pleasant Beach to install the 468 and a z06 fuel pump in the c6. Kevin installed it the c6 and had it back to me LIGHTNING quick.

Kevin's work is outstanding. His prices are very fair and consistent. I've never seen my car and engine bay so clean. His attention to detail really stands out (highlighted by calling me to determine the exact clutch I had in the car so he could find out the exact torque specs for reassembly). Kevin is well known in the hardcore Corvette and racing scene. He is just "one of us" who happens to own his own shop. He seems to understand the nonsense in this industry and doesn't subscribe to it. I'll probably be calling him a true friend before all is said and done. Thanks to Kevin, Troy, Dan, Dave, (and I can't remember the other tall guy-sorry). They all went above and beyond. It's nice when you can have true trust in the people working on your car.

I need to thank Ed Hutchins of Va Speed. I've been dealing with him since December since I purchased the Harrop. He has consistently been professional, helpful, and honest. His tune started the engine right up even with the new cam. I also appreciate the after-the-sale support. He has gone above and beyond to see this build through as well. He has looked at logs, answered the phone and sent me files late at night. He's taken away time from his family to modify and send me tunes to tweak the tune as I drive and live with the car. This is all after the fact of him doing the initial tune with the other cam. I hope you can come up to NJ to do the final tune in person!! Tell Shawn and Doug to let you go. I'm sure Kyle wants you here too for his engine tuning.

Last but not least, I need to thank Erik Koenig for building a BAD *** engine for me. Erik has become one of my favorite people period. You just have to talk to this guy to love him. He is as honest as they come. He will educate you and doesn't make you feel dumb while he is explaining things. He will not sell you snake oil. He won't make it seem like he does secret voodoo black magic stuff that no other shop can do. No hype. No ego. Just a love for doing things right. He will tell you that if you do xyz correct with this combo, it will make roughly this power no matter who builds it (assuming the person does the quality steps while building it). Very fair price as well. He is building the new motor for the GTM. This one should be pretty ridiculous for that car.

I can't forget to say thank you to my boy Powerlabs. Between helping me with my other car project, overnighting the HP Tuners, and overall moral support, this build would have sucked without him. I know some people here get into it with him on the forums, but I can say that if you know Sam in real life, you will see he is a well meaning, good hearted car nut always willing to help out. Glad to have you as a friend buddy.

I've had my car for almost 5 years now...I've been bored with it, had it for sale, etc... I can say I'm in LOVE with it again. I can't wait for Pocono in the Spring.

Last edited by Stage7; 09-08-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Link fixed...
Old 10-26-2010, 02:42 PM
MRIENG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Looks good. But will it work on an LS7?

Cheers
Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MRIENG
Looks good. But will it work on an LS7?

Cheers

Thanks.
Yes, they have an adapter for the ls7 port. All dbw.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Looks sick. Glad you are finally back up and running.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How much does an intake set up like that cost?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Looks sick. Glad you are finally back up and running.
Thanks Fran.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
How much does an intake set up like that cost?
It depends on the exchange rate at the time. I did not buy it at a favorable time unfortunately.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:53 AM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, thats bad ***. txt me if you go to etown.
j
Old 10-27-2010, 08:54 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow. Like Fran Said.

Can't wait to see it in person some day!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cyclerage23
Rob, thats bad ***. txt me if you go to etown.
j
Thanks J. That's the original block I bought from you last year (ERL sleeved it of course). It's doubtful I'll make it this Friday, but it is possible. The problem, I don't have any good radials to run with. Only street tires. I'm not sure it will be worth the effort. I really just want to see what it will mph at. I'm not as concerned w/ET. ET takes a lot experience, skill, setup, and things to go just right with a 6spd manual.

Originally Posted by WeaponsGradeTorque
Wow. Like Fran Said.

Can't wait to see it in person some day!
I can't wait to check out your car too WGT. Let me know when you are going back to Fran's. It's not that far from me.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pm sent
Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone know where this video can be found?

Thanks,

Ty
Old 09-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

You'll have to "dig" it up from the grave, kind of like what you did with this thread. Have you tried PM'ing the OP?

U.M.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:10 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
You'll have to "dig" it up from the grave, kind of like what you did with this thread. Have you tried PM'ing the OP?

U.M.
==================
Great Idea, sorry I didn't think about that.

Thanks,

Ty
Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Wooo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Double click the pic. The video will open
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stage7
750 rpms...untuned (click on picture for link to vid):

Now I remember why I bought the Harrop. The car idles like a stock motor with *maybe* a cheater cam. If that. It is super quiet at idle and cruise with 2" headers, and Magnaflow exhausts (no cats in this video although there will be cats installed). ZERO drone at ANY rpm period. My old 402 and 1 7/8" headers droned around 1600-1700rpm in 6th gear.

Zero cam surging. I drive 25-30mph in 4th gear perfectly. I put the cruise on in 6th gear at 55mph (1300-1400rpms), and the motor just hums along perfectly for 30+ miles on the Parkway (law abiding citizen).
I can hit it at 2k rpm and it punches you in your chest and pulls instantly to 6850rpms (my current rev limiter--I'm going to increase it to 7100rpm). It just slams right into the rev limiter. It revs so freakin fast, and pulls so hard it's ridiculous.

The car will go on the dyno this Friday, and depending how long it stays on the dyno, I may take it to E-town to ice skate a bit after. At this point, I don't care if it only makes 550hp. I have no idea if the new cam makes more power or less. The power this thing makes with the factory-like idle/drivability is epic. I did get caught up in the #'s for a minute, but then I had to remember what my criteria while building it was (I was trying to build a supercar Ls engine that could have basically come from the factory due to drivability characteristics--N/A of course). That doesn't mean I don't hope to see a 6xx rwhp # and the mph to back it up, just that I won't be crying in my cornflakes if it falls short.

The downside to this intake is that you have to learn how to drive again. The throttle response is like nothing most have ever experienced. It wants to rev like a banshee. The upside is that it's really hard to make the car stall, and you can basically let the clutch out at idle and cruise around a parking lot with zero gas pedal. This thing is crazy.

Update story since engine dyno and tuning:

After Ed and Va Speed tuned my harrop/468 on their engine dyno, I decided to build a bigger badder higher HP and rpm motor for the GTM and put this motor in my c6.

I had the motor shipped from Va Speed to Erik @ HKE for a much larger cam install. Erik then sent the motor to Kevin Smalley of Smalley Automotive and Performance in Point Pleasant Beach to install the 468 and a z06 fuel pump in the c6. Kevin installed it the c6 and had it back to me LIGHTNING quick.

Kevin's work is outstanding. His prices are very fair and consistent. I've never seen my car and engine bay so clean. His attention to detail really stands out (highlighted by calling me to determine the exact clutch I had in the car so he could find out the exact torque specs for reassembly). Kevin is well known in the hardcore Corvette and racing scene. He is just "one of us" who happens to own his own shop. He seems to understand the nonsense in this industry and doesn't subscribe to it. I'll probably be calling him a true friend before all is said and done. Thanks to Kevin, Troy, Dan, Dave, (and I can't remember the other tall guy-sorry). They all went above and beyond. It's nice when you can have true trust in the people working on your car.

I need to thank Ed Hutchins of Va Speed. I've been dealing with him since December since I purchased the Harrop. He has consistently been professional, helpful, and honest. His tune started the engine right up even with the new cam. I also appreciate the after-the-sale support. He has gone above and beyond to see this build through as well. He has looked at logs, answered the phone and sent me files late at night. He's taken away time from his family to modify and send me tunes to tweak the tune as I drive and live with the car. This is all after the fact of him doing the initial tune with the other cam. I hope you can come up to NJ to do the final tune in person!! Tell Shawn and Doug to let you go. I'm sure Kyle wants you here too for his engine tuning.

Last but not least, I need to thank Erik Koenig for building a BAD *** engine for me. Erik has become one of my favorite people period. You just have to talk to this guy to love him. He is as honest as they come. He will educate you and doesn't make you feel dumb while he is explaining things. He will not sell you snake oil. He won't make it seem like he does secret voodoo black magic stuff that no other shop can do. No hype. No ego. Just a love for doing things right. He will tell you that if you do xyz correct with this combo, it will make roughly this power no matter who builds it (assuming the person does the quality steps while building it). Very fair price as well. He is building the new motor for the GTM. This one should be pretty ridiculous for that car.

I can't forget to say thank you to my boy Powerlabs. Between helping me with my other car project, overnighting the HP Tuners, and overall moral support, this build would have sucked without him. I know some people here get into it with him on the forums, but I can say that if you know Sam in real life, you will see he is a well meaning, good hearted car nut always willing to help out. Glad to have you as a friend buddy.

I've had my car for almost 5 years now...I've been bored with it, had it for sale, etc... I can say I'm in LOVE with it again. I can't wait for Pocono in the Spring.
==================================
Stage 7:

Anymore updates on your car with your Harrop?

Likes, Dislikes?

Would you do it all over again?

Thanks,

Ty

Get notified of new replies

To Video of why I bought the Harrop:

Quick Reply: [Z06] Video of why I bought the Harrop: