Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Motortrend tests the 2012 Z06(video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick2k11GS

Great video. What a car! Those tires make a huge difference...but an 86 treadwear? Ouch.
Here is the deal on this whole thing, at least my take (coming from a driving school instructor).

You'll NEVER be able to take advantage of these tires on the street. If you are at the point where you are maxing these tires on the street, one of 2 things will happen:

1) You will go directly to jail and lose your liscense indefinately
2) You could kill yourself or worse someone else.

Doesn't everyone understand, these tires are a marketing gimmick to give the last C6Z lap times so it ups it's reputation in the magazine numbers game. Real life, they are a waste of time on the street and track. They wear too fast and you will never be able to take advantage of the grip they provide on the street (no matter what you think). On the track, they are nothing but overpriced R compounds, and Hoosiers will smoke them lap time wise for 1/2 the price.

The unfortunate part is this version Z06 was built specifically for the track, but EVERYONE who ACTUALLY does track days knows you just buy a standard Z06 and put some Hoosiers on it for 1/3rd the price. You don't waste time with carbon brakes and OEM pilot cups unless you have money to burn. A stock Z06 with a set of Hoosiers will be as fast or faster. So you buy a regular Z06, get an extra set of rims and switch between track/street.

I could see how the "general public" could see this as an awesome package, but if you do what this package is intended for (track days), you will find, you are better served with a stock Z06 and a set of Hoosiers.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Z06 is a race car

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I thought it was the 3LZ instead of the 3ZR package? Thats a great color but she needs chromies!
Chrome is not good for a Z06!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
I don't like the leather interior.
Is there a "cloth" Corvette? My 2006 1LZ has leather.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default You are right to a point

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Here is the deal on this whole thing, at least my take (coming from a driving school instructor).

You'll NEVER be able to take advantage of these tires on the street. If you are at the point where you are maxing these tires on the street, one of 2 things will happen:

Doesn't everyone understand, these tires are a marketing gimmick to give the last C6Z lap times so it ups it's reputation in the magazine numbers game. Real life, they are a waste of time on the street and track. They wear too fast and you will never be able to take advantage of the grip they provide on the street (no matter what you think). On the track, they are nothing but overpriced R compounds, and Hoosiers will smoke them lap time wise for 1/2 the price.

The unfortunate part is this version Z06 was built specifically for the track, but EVERYONE who ACTUALLY does track days knows you just buy a standard Z06 and put some Hoosiers on it for 1/3rd the price. You don't waste time with carbon brakes and OEM pilot cups unless you have money to burn. A stock Z06 with a set of Hoosiers will be as fast or faster. So you buy a regular Z06, get an extra set of rims and switch between track/street.

I could see how the "general public" could see this as an awesome package, but if you do what this package is intended for (track days), you will find, you are better served with a stock Z06 and a set of Hoosiers.
I have taken my Z06/Z07 on the track and I agree 100% that the new Pliot Sports are not a street tire as you NEVER come close to using them on the street. I disagree about the carbon fiber brakes on the track. I was at Spring Mountain with a temp of 104 and I drove the standard Z06 and mine with the Z07 package. Trust me, if you can afford it, get the Z07 package. Is is better for the track, not so much for the street. I am hoping that it will hold resale better than a standard Z06 too.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Finelee
Nice car but don't you think 11.9 isn't that great, especially with those tires.
That depends on a whole lot of factors. One is the weather. Another is that they did it on a runway, not a dragstrip that has been prepped.

Agreed - I've said for a while now that magazines and the Nurburgring have ruined a lot of cars for street use. At least with the Z06 the tires are really the only thing that effects it's ability as a good street car. The new 2012 GTR rides so badly I would have trouble owning one (I have ridden in one).
Old 08-03-2011, 02:58 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
I have taken my Z06/Z07 on the track and I agree 100% that the new Pliot Sports are not a street tire as you NEVER come close to using them on the street. I disagree about the carbon fiber brakes on the track. I was at Spring Mountain with a temp of 104 and I drove the standard Z06 and mine with the Z07 package. Trust me, if you can afford it, get the Z07 package. Is is better for the track, not so much for the street. I am hoping that it will hold resale better than a standard Z06 too.
Your only flaw here is you are comparing OEM to OEM. OEM pads are meant for the street and are junk for the track. I agree the OEM Z07 are better, than the stockers, but JUST LIKE THE CONCEPT I USED FOR THE TIRES, I can go out and get true set of race pads (Wilwood H, Hawk DT-70's, Carbotech XP16's) and with Hoosier out brake a Z07 all day long.

You say blasphemy?!?! This guy is crazy??? GM spent millions designing this thing!!!!

The Z06 with Z07 package with professional test drivers in 2011 lapped VIR (Virginia International Raceway) at 2:53.5. To give you an idea the LP640-4 SV did it in 2:53.9 and 430 Scuderia in 2:54.6

As of now the SCCA T1 LAP RECORD (SCCA showroom stock Touring One class) Amatuer race class which is made of up 90% Corvette's (no Z06's or ZR1's allowed, just base C6Z51 and C5Z06's) is...hold on to your pants 2:01.24. That is a base Z51 with a T1 suspension kit and a set of Hoosier A6's (standard Iron brakes with Hawk DT-70 pads) and an amatuer race driver.

I love what GM has done with the car, but after you get to a certian point, it all becomes just for browny points and the REALLY fast track guys know what to use.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

The Z06 with Z07 package with professional test drivers in 2011 lapped VIR (Virginia International Raceway) at 2:53.5. To give you an idea the LP640-4 SV did it in 2:53.9 and 430 Scuderia in 2:54.6

As of now the SCCA T1 LAP RECORD (SCCA showroom stock Touring One class) Amatuer race class which is made of up 90% Corvette's (no Z06's or ZR1's allowed, just base C6Z51 and C5Z06's) is...hold on to your pants 2:01.24. That is a base Z51 with a T1 suspension kit and a set of Hoosier A6's (standard Iron brakes with Hawk DT-70 pads) and an amatuer race driver.
Wait aminute here. The difference between the Z06 W/Z07 package is 50+ seconds slower per lap than a narrow body with brakes/tires & suspesion? Are you sure they are running the identical configuration @ VIR?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Is there a "cloth" Corvette? My 2006 1LZ has leather.
Only your seats are leather, not the whole interior like the dash and door panels.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

upgrade to Carbotech Xp20 f and Xp10 r cooling ducts and SRF, your good to go, using Hoosiers On a 1LZ Zo6
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Finelee
Nice car but don't you think 11.9 isn't that great, especially with those tires.
Despite all of the variables in testing--DA, track prep, driver, etc--I must admit I wish they published a better time as well. Considering most mags publish 11.7 times and even Motor Trend published an 11.5 for the Z06 back in '08. I don't mean to be magazine racing but you would think Motor Trend would beat their Z06 non-Z07 0-60 time. Nevertheless, I am impressed with what GM is doing to elevate the Z, but I largely agree with 95jersey and his insights.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NORTY
Wait aminute here. The difference between the Z06 W/Z07 package is 50+ seconds slower per lap than a narrow body with brakes/tires & suspesion? Are you sure they are running the identical configuration @ VIR?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCXmPMnQPw

Our own forum showing former record holder at 2:06

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...es-at-vir.html

Googled NASA ST2 (which I think is equivelant T1 class) and record is 2:01 with Danny Pop and it says FULL COURSE.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:00 PM
track junkie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z06 with Z07 package with professional test drivers in 2011 lapped VIR (Virginia International Raceway) at 2:53.5.
The 2:53.5 VIR lap time by the Car and Driver test was on the 4.1 mile Grand west course using Michelin PS2 tires.
The 2:01.24 lap record mentioned above was on the 3.27 mile VIR Full course with Hoosier A6.

http://www.virnow.com/the-track

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/track_map_3a_vir_track_map_and_lightning _lap_2011_sector_times_page_7
Old 08-03-2011, 06:35 PM
track junkie
Instructor

The 2:53.5 VIR lap time by the Car and Driver test was on the 4.1 mile Grand west course using Michelin PS2 tires.

With Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires on the 4.1 mile course, lap time should be around 2:50 with all conditions the same.

Ron Fellows Performance Driving School – LEVEL 2
Our level -2 program now features the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport PS2™ and MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport Cup™ tires! In testing the Michelin tires, (Ron) shaved nearly 3 seconds off his lap time on our 2.2 mile course. While testing the Pilot® Sport Cup™ tires, he took a further 1.5 seconds off that lap time! The lateral grip and increased stability from the Michelin tires is simply incredible.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteuphoria
Despite all of the variables in testing--DA, track prep, driver, etc--I must admit I wish they published a better time as well. Considering most mags publish 11.7 times and even Motor Trend published an 11.5 for the Z06 back in '08. I don't mean to be magazine racing but you would think Motor Trend would beat their Z06 non-Z07 0-60 time. Nevertheless, I am impressed with what GM is doing to elevate the Z, but I largely agree with 95jersey and his insights.
The mph also tells a lot.... their 122.5 is way down from other Z06s they have tested. I would be interested in the conditions during the acceleration runs.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

The handling and braking test numbers are simply amazing!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
High Altitude Vette
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a few minor flaws..
Remove that semi gloss latex "Centennial" paint and replace with proper Velocity Yellow
Remove crappy wheels and replace with proper chrome wheels.
Then it would be ready for my shop
What a car
Gary

Last edited by High Altitude Vette; 08-03-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOD I love the ZO6 so much!

Get notified of new replies

To Motortrend tests the 2012 Z06(video)

Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by High Altitude Vette
Just a few minor flaws..
Remove that semi gloss latex "Centennial" paint and replace with proper Velocity Yellow
Remove crappy wheels and replace with proper chrome wheels.
Then it would be ready for my shop
What a car
Gary
you forgot to add the 60+ year old driving it.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll NEVER be able to take advantage of these tires on the street.
You might as well say the same thing about the Z06, or any corvette for that matter when it comes to taking advantage of the performance capabilities on the street.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 PM
clevay
Instructor

The 11.9 sec 122 mph trap speeds are understandable considering how heavy the Z06 has become since the 06/07 model years. The 06' ran 11.6-11.7 at 125-126 MPH at around 3150 lbs bone stock. At 105K the 2012 Z07 has become heavier, and appears to be more refined and easier to drive. It is also slower in my opinion. Put the Z07 suspension package and tires on a 06' Z06 at 3150 lbs and see what the numbers look like.

They will look like ZR1 numbers and that is exactly what GM does not want you to see. Now the performance between the 2 have become blurred and that's just not good for business. Don't believe the hype.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Motortrend tests the 2012 Z06(video)