Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Blown Engine - 08 Z06 with 33k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jimman
You made it sound like another sky is falling story, NASCAR would have a bronze statue of you mounted outside the museum with that many track miles, what's that, 48 Daytona 500's on one motor.
I wish GM would come out and say something like 'after 30 hours of track duty, inspect/refresh' or something to provided guidance here. I thought the sky was falling....
Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I am sorry Mr. Z06 505 you must have missed the memo, it has already been decided on this forum there are no sodium valve stem issues, you must be mistaken. It was probably related to the headers, or did you have your exhaust flaps closed during this event, I heard the back pressure could cause these things to happen...

So please don't continue with the sky is falling posts and doctored photos, we know what your up too.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
Please stop defending the engines.Its a fact that the ls7 is very delicate and that a huge proportion of them have blown up very prematurely.When i bought my 07 two years ago and i brought it in to the dealer for an oil change they kept the car and rebuilt the whole motor.Had i driven it a little while longer it would have also exploded.The ls7 makes tons of power but is very delicate.Rocker arms ,retainers,whatever it is, something in the vakvetrain is weak, and causes them to let go.Doesnt take away from the fact that the z06 is an engineering marvel ,is the best bang for the buck ,and moves like hell.The engine however is not reliable.

Exactly what is a "huge proportion"?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vertC6
I am sorry Mr. Z06 505 you must have missed the memo, it has already been decided on this forum there are no sodium valve stem issues, you must be mistaken. It was probably related to the headers, or did you have your exhaust flaps closed during this event, I heard the back pressure could cause these things to happen...

So please don't continue with the sky is falling posts and doctored photos, we know what your up too.
It may or may not have been his headers and/or his tune, who knows? But that issue is practically moot. Indeed it is completely moot. It may not have been his tune which ultimately took out his engine, it may have been just the sheer number of track miles.

The fact is that no one in here can deny that 24,000 track miles on one motor, stock, modded, what have you, is impressive.

24,000 track miles, depending on how hard he was driving it, could work out to an equal or greater amount of overall wear and tear as Jimman's 150 some odd thousand highway miles.

24,000 track miles, running ***** out, out of a total of 34,500 miles is a lot to ask for from any engine.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1556265282

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ing-video.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nt-system.html

He only put about 10,000 street miles on that engine since he bought the car back in 2006. The rest of it's life was spent on the track.

Some of us are looking at this entirely the wrong way.

Instead of getting up in arms about why this one popped, we ought to be doing just the opposite and asking ourselves how come this one lived as long as it did considering the use put on it.

For example, I for one, want to know what kind of motor oil he was running in it. How frequent his oil changes were, or any other valuable information that would help me understand how he was able to get that kind of use out of it.

Reviewing his prior posts, the only way he was not at a track event, was if they weren't having one or if he was sick.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-16-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_505
I never stated I didn't track it. I thought that was obvious.
Sorry for the confusion. As I said, 34,500 miles with about 24,000 on track.
I think thats pretty impressive track duty. I would guess your tune did not hurt and may have actually helped

DH
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

Instead of getting up in arms about why this one popped, we ought to be doing just the opposite and asking ourselves how come this one lived as long as it did considering the use put on it.

For example, I for one, want to know what kind of motor oil he was running in it. How frequent his oil changes were, or any other valuable information that would help me understand how he was able to get that kind of use out of it.

Reviewing his prior posts, the only way he was not at a track event, was if they weren't having one or if he was sick.
I totally agree with this.

I had around 7K track miles on mine when it let go. I would be very content to get 3 times that on this new motor.

Maybe I need to do MORE track days to make it last longer !!

DH
Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I think thats pretty impressive track duty. I would guess your tune did not hurt and may have actually helped

DH
I don't think that there are lot of motors of any type which can give you 24,000 track miles before they crap out.

That's like running the 24 hours of Lemans about 8 times on one motor.

$#!*, with that kind of success, this guy ought to be selling tunes.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

My thoughts exactly concerning the warranty. Thats why I bought the extended warranty also. Good move.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
Exactly what is a "huge proportion"?

I have always said that the number is less than 1% stock engine failures. When we see 270 stock failures I will retract my opinion.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The tune, headers and dry sump were done several years ago. The valve broke 2 weeks ago. I guess it's possible I caused the problem. It's also possible I did not. No one will ever know for sure.

I'm not crying...just sharing. Everyone is entitled to their own conclusion.
Yep and the conclusions were already made on both sides long before you ever posted.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Z06_505
Pro

It may or may not have been his headers and/or his tune, who knows? But that issue is practically moot. Indeed it is completely moot. It may not have been his tune which ultimately took out his engine, it may have been just the sheer number of track miles.

The fact is that no one in here can deny that 24,000 track miles on one motor, stock, modded, what have you, is impressive.

24,000 track miles, depending on how hard he was driving it, could work out to an equal or greater amount of overall wear and tear as Jimman's 150 some odd thousand highway miles.

24,000 track miles, running ***** out, out of a total of 34,500 miles is a lot to ask for from any engine.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1556265282

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ing-video.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...nt-system.html

He only put about 10,000 street miles on that engine since he bought the car back in 2006. The rest of it's life was spent on the track.

Royal Purple XPR 20W-50 changed once per year. I bought it by the 5 gallon jug.

I have lift in garage and I am retired, so complete maintenance routine between events although not much related to the engine other than air filter cleaning and checking for abnormalities.

I drove harder and harder with each subsequent season. I drove it like I stole it the last several years.

You are right that since purchasing the car, my life has revolved around tracking events.

I missed events only when it rained. I have driven sick, especially at MidOhio through "Madness"
Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I have lift in garage and I am retired, so complete maintenance routine between events although not much related to the engine other than air filter cleaning and checking for abnormalities.

I drove harder and harder with each subsequent season. I drove it like I stole it the last several years.

You are right that since purchasing the car, my life has revolved around tracking events.

I missed events only when it rained. I have driven sick, especially at MidOhio through "Madness"
I am jealous. Sounds like you had a ton of fun. And what a run on that engine. 24,000 hard miles on a track. Would love to see a Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo trying to duplicate that feat.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Not accusing you of stating that you never tracked it. And yes, reviewing just a few of your prior posts, it is quite obvious that you are at home on the track.

I was just trying to get an idea of how much it was able to endure in terms of track duty before it finally failed.

I appreciate your response.

24,000 track miles is pretty impressive.

24,000 track miles/34,500 total miles represents about 70% track duty and 30% street duty

If anything , I think this DIS proves the sky is falling crowd In fact , any little shred of doubt that some have out there , take a look at this thread and how many TRACK miles this motor saw before it popped.

Some folks just expect a factory motor to live forever , and when it doesn't they place blame. Those folks ought to spend some time with any professional race team and see how things work a bit better.

I have even more faith in the LS7 after reading this thread

Last edited by FrankTank; 04-17-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Well I'll say this; your post above might tell more about the actual durability or lack thereof, of the LS7 than a lot of the other examples do.

Does anyone know about the antiwear additive package in this particular motor oil?

24,000 track miles with no engine maintenance aside from changing the oil and filters, is an outstanding feat.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
LSX_NUT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I apologize if i'm going a little off topic here.

Is it safe to say that a stock block LS7 with a medium sized cam, and perfectly set up valvetrain from a reputable sponsor will probably be more reliable? Maybe set the rev limiter a little lower and put a nice conservative tune on it.

I would probably only use the car as a fun street toy. maybe get into tracking it eventually but nothing serious.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock36
Perhaps someone can explain it to me, but how can a 400 hour WOT test be less stressful than occasional track time, especially in the OPs example of 1432 track miles? Unless I'm completely misunderstanding how the 400 hour test is conducted.
I don't know this to be true of cars, but with motorbikes it's the reverse torque applied to the engine when downshifting or engine braking when coming off the gas at high rpm.

Apparently the motors are designed to drive the car, but don't much like being "driven" by the car.

Of course RPM matching and good clutch work can reduce this effect.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Zinc 1034 ppm in that oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown Engine - 08 Z06 with 33k miles

Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
I don't know this to be true of cars, but with motorbikes it's the reverse torque applied to the engine when downshifting or engine braking when coming off the gas at high rpm.

Apparently the motors are designed to drive the car, but don't much like being "driven" by the car.

Of course RPM matching and good clutch work can reduce this effect.
I asked that question quite awhile ago. Thanks for actually responding, what you explained is something I hadn't considered.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by delphigto
No the head of the valve breaks and drops not the whole valve.
So a set of aftermarket valves or maybe stainless steel valves would remedy the problem??
Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by All_Motor_C5LS6
So a set of aftermarket valves or maybe stainless steel valves would remedy the problem??
even if you just "bend" a valve or snap parts of it off - you're still going to tear the crap out of that piston and the cylinder head.

Hopefully you're not replacing the entire block... but it's still a major deal. Really, you want to avoid any contact altogether so even SS valves are not really a "fix" in the sence that you're not preventing the problem from happening, but rather trying to mitigate the effects once it does happen.

I think the question still remains: what, exactly, is happening? Do after-market heads have any increase in longevity over OEM with people who've replaced their valves/guides?

Last edited by Random84; 04-17-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Blown Engine - 08 Z06 with 33k miles