Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Blown Engine - 08 Z06 with 33k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 AM
probabilist
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quicksilver---good points.

The 'coming/going'---that will be reflected in the acceptance rate of people chosen. My bet is over 80% would respond----just a guess but I do probability for a living.

Second we could require a VIN---is it easy to cross check it is a z06? I don't know...
Sure someone could get a VIN of a z06 but I believe this would be very very rare.

Anyway better than Joey writing his tale of sadness and then the hoardes whing about the ls7's poor reliability. If we could have been told about the z06 specs in 1995 we would have laughed and simply not believed it. We should feel so lucky to own such great cars.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 AM
saleentim
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 119 Posts

Cool Story.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
letsrollmike
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F1restart3r
Lots of posters in this thread, could you perhaps be a shade more specific please.
OP. Dude with engine failure, who created this thread.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Thanks for sharing your good news with us. You win !
Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by eaglei
As one of the engine builders at Wixom, I hate to hear about a failure like yours. We occasionally get engines back from the field - I hope we get yours for examination. I'm glad you are covered and hope it all works out to your satisfaction.

I have sent your posting to some of our quality folks. Believe me there is a lot of concern whenever we hear about a customer problem. We know that we need happy customers to stay in business - and our names are on our engines.
Nice to hear from someone with first hand knowledge at GM. You guys build a great engine

Also from what I can tell, this motor saw a good amount of track time as well.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Reports like these are precisely why I didn't buy a Z06.
Thank god.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by LFZ
Thank god.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Cue the Chicken Littles

On a side note, it was a pleasure talking to you yesterday Rick. Keep me posted on the status of the repair and make sure to go talk to the tech performing the work on your car about replacing the oil system parts, cooler and hoses.

Last edited by RichieRichZ06; 07-08-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:02 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG!!! The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
JWell
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It appears that the cars that are failing are doing it before 30-40k miles regardless of track duty or what. The ones that don't fail by that point are probably ok. That leads me to believe that there is an issue with a small number of cars. Could be a material defect, or manufacturing issue, or a number of different things. If it truly is a design flaw as some have suggested then we will continue to see this phenomena with '09 and '10 cars as they get more miles on them. But I will say as a potential Z06 buyer it does make you think twice.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JWell
It appears that the cars that are failing are doing it before 30-40k miles regardless of track duty or what. The ones that don't fail by that point are probably ok. That leads me to believe that there is an issue with a small number of cars. Could be a material defect, or manufacturing issue, or a number of different things. If it truly is a design flaw as some have suggested then we will continue to see this phenomena with '09 and '10 cars as they get more miles on them. But I will say as a potential Z06 buyer it does make you think twice.
Show me a High Po car that does not have problems.

In the past few months one of the car mags fried the turbos on a new 911 during a comparison against the Corvette.

An early Ferrari 458 spontaneously combusted with less than 1000 miles on burning to the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4f19...eature=related

If you want safe buy a Toyota... wait never mind.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:17 PM
redZ06bri
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I've read all these threads, and I'm glad that people make this information available. I am most interested in the cause of this failure, exhaust valve, oil starvation, other ??

As far as engines being disposable items like brakes and tires, I don't buy that at all ! Of course I understand that they wear and break down, but this is too much. I've changed the tires and brakes on my C5 so many times I can't count, but its still the original engine, and I've beat the snot out of it with R compound tires, racing suspension, over 50 track days and 90K miles, and, God-forbid, an ECU tune on the dyno. These LS7s are just close to the edge for some reason.

We all have some of the facts, and different people may reach different conclusions. I've decided not to track my LS7, to keep it stock, and have bought an extended warranty. I've decided in my mind that it is too risky. I would feel bad if I bought the car for the exclusive purpose of road course work, but I've lost confidence. As a street car, I'll probably be fine, and if not, GM will pay.

As you can tell from my avatar, my other hobby is shooting. When I get a self-defense pistol, I shoot it at the range for several months and a thousand or so rounds of ammo. I decide from this experience if I have confidence in the gun as a serious weapon. If it malfunction several times, and I can't explain why, it stops being my gun. The conclusion is not scientific, just based on experience and gut feeling.

Same thing with tracking a Z06, I just don't have that feeling of confidence about it, for whatever reason, valid or not, it is just not there. I could be wrong, I can't prove anything, I just don't have a real good feeling about this issue seeing many posts like this. When the C5 Z06 came out, I used to look at this forum much more often, and I can't recall anything like this level and frequency of failures. Sure they may have been a few, but my subjective recall is that it was never identified as an issue, or at least not nearly to the same degree, as it has been for the C6 Z06.

If you disagree, go ahead, I could be wrong, and I'de love to be convinced of the fact that I am wrong. If I could do it again, I may have passed on the Z06 and held out for a used ZR1, but that's water under the bridge. I do love the car, enjoy it tremendously, and will continue to do, but it won't see the track.

Last edited by redZ06bri; 07-08-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:33 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Rick -

Originally Posted by rikhek
Got a call yesterday from my service writer that GM approved a new engine under warranty. Said it should be here next week.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, and I'm glad to see GM covering it for you. One suggestion: take this opportunity while the engine is out and swap the sump tank for an 09+ one. Either the GM one or the LPE one, whichever floats your boat. It'll provide your engine that much extra insurance for your continued track time.

G'luck!

jas
Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

I too had a C5Z06 tracked it and put almost 80,000 miles on it with only a broken valve spring that was covered under warranty. I think the reason we are seeing more failures or the appearance of more failures on the C6 version is twofold.

1- Due to it's C5 legacy and it's new prowess a lot of people are buying the Z06 to track - including people that are not normal Corvette buyers. The C5 Z06 was and unknown commodity in 2001 and was not attracting Ferrari or Porsche owners as a cheaper track car.

2- The 100 extra HP with no real significant weight gain creates more opportunity for people to wreak havoc on their engines far quicker. Handling on the new Z is much better just see the Nurburgring time difference between them I think the new car is almost a minute faster than the previous generation.

From driving my 09 almost 14,000 miles I have complete confidence in this motor. I will be extending the warranty when it is up but I did that with my C5 as well.

Originally Posted by redZ06bri
Same thing with tracking a Z06, I just don't have that feeling of confidence about it, for whatever reason, valid or not, it is just not there. I could be wrong, I can't prove anything, I just don't have a real good feeling about this issue seeing many posts like this. When the C5 Z06 came out, I used to look at this forum much more often, and I can't recall anything like this level and frequency of failures. Sure they may have been a few, but my subjective recall is that it was never identified as an issue, or at least not nearly to the same degree, as it has been for the C6 Z06.

If you disagree, go ahead, I could be wrong, and I'de love to be convinced of the fact that I am wrong. If I could do it again, I may have passed on the Z06 and held out for a used ZR1, but that's water under the bridge. I do love the car, enjoy it tremendously, and will continue to do, but it won't see the track.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Rick -

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, and I'm glad to see GM covering it for you. One suggestion: take this opportunity while the engine is out and swap the sump tank for an 09+ one. Either the GM one or the LPE one, whichever floats your boat. It'll provide your engine that much extra insurance for your continued track time.

G'luck!

jas
I think he stated he already has the LPE tank (I think)
Old 07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
I think he stated he already has the LPE tank (I think)
Ah, if so, I apologize for being redundant. I read "stock engine" as literally nothing touched under the hood. Including the oil tank.

jas
Old 07-08-2011, 06:20 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I don't understand why people feel the need to make non-factual statements regarding my car and the usage. The people making these comments don't know me or the history of the car. Why people feel the need to go look at my prior posts and then make the correlation that I deserved what I got is beyond my imagination and quite frankly, a little irritating. What the hell do these people get out of trying to dig up perceived dirt on me? These people need to get a life.

I made the post to factually share what happened to me and how GM is standing by their product.

Comments to the effect that the car:

- Has "lots" of track time;
- Has been abused;
- Since I bought a dedicated track car I must have beat the hell out of the Z06;
- The car was subjected to “hard” track duty;
- “Another tracked car, driven hard, wore out the motor”;
- “The OP has tracked this car hard, and is a big time "track rat"...just look at his other threads and his new "Race Car" he purchased”.
- “Anyway....that being said, he got a great amount of mileage out of his LS7”.
- “Also from what I can tell, this motor saw a good amount of track time as well”.
- “This car was tracked therefore it's seen it's share of high rpm's and the result was.. kaboom!”

The car is a performance car. I like enjoying the performance. I wonder if the people attacking me are waxers who like to look at their cars as opposed to driving them.

I use my cars, I don’t abuse them. I don’t think I’ve ever hit the rev limiter on the car. I short shift typically at 6,500 rpm. I’ve never had a mechanical over rev due to a missed shift.

I don’t exceed the operational design parameters to which the car was built by GM.

Regarding track usage the car has seen a total of 8 track days and 1,432 documented track miles since I purchased it on 7/24/09. I run at Hallett and do the entire track in 3rd gear, no shifting as the car has enough torque to do the entire track in 3rd without exceeding 6,500 rpm.

How the hell can you guys make statements that the car has seen excessive track usage without any factual basis?!?!?!?! Now that you have the facts maybe you'll retract your posts.

Regarding my “new” race car, I bought a dedicated track car due to the cost of Z06 consumables, the cost to fix the Z06 when a mishap occurs and to minimize the little bit of increased wear on the car which occurs when driven at the higher end of the design parameters.

Those bent on attacking me and how the car is used need to give it a rest. The car is used as the manufacturer marketed it to be. And they’re standing behind it as I used it within their design parameters! The computer download which GM demands to see prior to authorizing a new engine under warranty confirmed I used the car within design parameters.

I know one thing for certain, I won’t be sharing information of this nature again.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Blown Engine - 08 Z06 with 33k miles

Old 07-08-2011, 06:41 PM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I don't understand why people feel the need to make non-factual statements regarding my car and the usage. The people making these comments don't know me or the history of the car. Why people feel the need to go look at my prior posts and then make the correlation that I deserved what I got is beyond my imagination and quite frankly, a little irritating. What the hell do these people get out of trying to dig up perceived dirt on me? These people need to get a life.

I made the post to factually share what happened to me and how GM is standing by their product.

- Has been abused;
- Since I bought a dedicated track car I must have beat the hell out of the Z06;
- “The OP has tracked this car hard, and is a big time "track rat"...just look at his other threads and his new "Race Car" he purchased”.
- “Also from what I can tell, this motor saw a good amount of track time as well”.
- “This car was tracked therefore it's seen it's share of high rpm's and the result was.. kaboom!”

The car is a performance car. I like enjoying the performance. I wonder if the people attacking me are waxers who like to look at their cars as opposed to driving them.

I use my cars, I don’t abuse them. I don’t think I’ve ever hit the rev limiter on the car. I short shift typically at 6,500 rpm. I’ve never had a mechanical over rev due to a missed shift.

I don’t exceed the operational design parameters to which the car was built by GM.

Regarding track usage the car has seen a total of 8 track days and 1,432 documented track miles since I purchased it on 7/24/09. I run at Hallett and do the entire track in 3rd gear, no shifting as the car has enough torque to do the entire track in 3rd without exceeding 6,500 rpm.

How the hell can you guys make statements that the car has seen excessive track usage without any factual basis?!?!?!?! Now that you have the facts maybe you'll retract your posts.

Regarding my “new” race car, I bought a dedicated track car due to the cost of Z06 consumables, the cost to fix the Z06 when a mishap occurs and to minimize the little bit of increased wear on the car which occurs when driven at the higher end of the design parameters.

Those bent on attacking me and how the car is used need to give it a rest. The car is used as the manufacturer marketed it to be. And they’re standing behind it as I used it within their design parameters! The computer download which GM demands to see prior to authorizing a new engine under warranty confirmed I used the car within design parameters.

I know one thing for certain, I won’t be sharing information of this nature again.

Rick

Don't let these hatters and "thread researchers" get to you. You did nothing wrong. There are some here that for the life of me can not take the thought of any LS7 motor failing for any reason. In their mind it can only be modifications or driver error.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

- Has been abused;

Rick
Originally Posted by joe11204
Don't let these hatters and "thread researchers" get to you. You did nothing wrong. There are some here that for the life of me can not take the thought of any LS7 motor failing for any reason. In their mind it can only be modifications or driver error.
The"Ignore List" feature really helps to remove the non-relevant posts.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

- Has been abused;

Rick

You seem to have a problem with people even asking how much track duty the car saw, a very pertinent piece of information for those wondering the circumstances preceding some of these failures.

As far as "digging up your old post", well, you made them, they exist in the archives of this forum, and if you didn't have a problem with people reading them immediately after you put them up, then why do you have a problem with people reading them now???? :

You said:

Been tracking for over 7 years in a modified C5 and for the last year and a half in my C6 Z06. Got tired of the expense as well as wear and tear on the C6 Z06 for track duty. The C6Z makes a great "track" day car but I'm driving it as a "race car" which is taking it's toll. It's also just a matter of time to when I have an off track excursion which would be expensive to fix on the C6Z.

I'm also tired of switching camber and toe, street to race rubber, brake pads, etc. every time I go to the track, not to mention switching it back to street after an event and the clean-up required to remove track debris/marking......
Why are you offended by someone, anyone, pointing to what YOU said??? Nobody is looking to "dig up dirt" on you. Only what you stated before regarding your frequency of tracking the car, in order to get some kind of feel for what kind of track duty it saw before the engine eventually failed in it.

It's not like anyone made it up. You said it. Why say it, and then get pissed when someone makes reference to what you yourself said?

That's all anyone asked. Nobody is "attacking" you.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-08-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Blown Engine - 08 Z06 with 33k miles