Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve train related premature wear or failures assoc. w/ royal purple oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Valve train related premature wear or failures assoc. w/ royal purple oil ?

Just curious.... I seam to have a reoccurring issue that is either Oil or cam related. I'm not quite ready to let the cat of the bag on this until I get some CSi reports back on the parts.

any input from past users of royal purple would be great.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

I don't happen to use RP oils because they refuse to specify the HTHS number. This is exactly the number on needs to judge if any particular motor oil is acceptable for track use (i.e. when really hot).
Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
I don't happen to use RP oils because they refuse to specify the HTHS number. This is exactly the number on needs to judge if any particular motor oil is acceptable for track use (i.e. when really hot).
Interesting. MFG of said part suspects oil issues. when I told him that I used RP, he replied.... which is great because I have it in my tranny and rear end too.

no gauling of related parts that come into contact with this part, so the search is on.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I was going to put Royal Purple in my tranny. Heard it was the best thing next to sliced bread....
Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Sorry about your issues. To me it is another example of the "boutique" oils that are more hype than substance. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the factory fill Mobil 1 5W 30. Why spend more money and risk problems. I don't like it in trannys or rear ends either.

Good luck with your car
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 06-07-2011, 10:33 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I have always had good luck with RP. I did however switch to all Amsoil fluids in my Hummer. I may switch over to Amsoil in the Z this summer as well and see if I can tell a difference.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Sorry about your issues. To me it is another example of the "boutique" oils that are more hype than substance. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the factory fill Mobil 1 5W 30. Why spend more money and risk problems. I don't like it in trannys or rear ends either.

Good luck with your car
Good luck, I guess all those auto manufacturers don't know anything.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
Just curious.... I seam to have a reoccurring issue that is either Oil or cam related. I'm not quite ready to let the cat of the bag on this until I get some CSi reports back on the parts.

any input from past users of royal purple would be great.
Well don't leave us in suspense man, tell us what happened.

Did your motor pop?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes

Good luck with your car
RP as a "boutique" oil advertises well and has many fans, but didn't compare well to the other fluids in these tests (even if you discount the AMSOIL these are still interesting reads):
AMSOIL Motorcycle Oil “White Paper” (1 MB pdf file)
AMSOIL Gear Lube “White Paper” (2 MB pdf file)

Neither are engine oil (or tranny fluid for the poster above), but I suspect the results would be similar.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimman
Good luck, I guess all those auto manufacturers don't know anything.
I'm leaning towards Joe Gibbs ( which I use for break in oil), Mobile 1, or Redline. Quite honestly, I figured they were all the same one way or the other. Mobile 1 definately cheaper than RP. I actually thought it was just internet forum blah blah blah....initially.

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Well don't leave us in suspense man, tell us what happened.

Did your motor pop?
(Edit: new information) Motor did not pop....Its just fine. Just getting premature wear on valvetrane. I'm waiting for a reply on the parts from the MFG before I share my experiences with everyone. I've talked with the supplier of the heads/cam, my engine builder and the rocker company.

My goal is some evidence based research that others ( including me) can benifit from. I've been the guinea <sp> pig on several aftermarket LS7 products on my past motor and I'm hoping others do not have to go through the same.

I don't want to come off as a finger pointer by jumping to conclusions. I just want a product combination that is reliable for a 80% street 20% track LS7 making 57x/53x at the wheels.That maintenance is a bit too excesive for a hydraulic roller motor IMHO.

when I have more info I'll make a more complete post.

In the meantime I'm riding my titanium IBIS road bike to and from work 26 miles round trip. I needed to work off the beer gut anyhow.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 12-31-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: information updates...
Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to "Bob the Oil Guy" last year and he said RP was fine in the trans and diff, but he would never recommend it in the motor.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
I talked to "Bob the Oil Guy" last year and he said RP was fine in the trans and diff, but he would never recommend it in the motor.
Why?
Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Oil does not seem to be the cause according to the Rocker MFG. I'm having some valve train parts tested on monday while my heads are at the machine shop getting a once over before they go back on.

yes my friends its down to the short block.

Good news is I caught it before anything major happened. magnet on the Peterson oil tank and drysump lines came up clean. Filter caught it all.

I do have one thing to say. I would NEVER do a C6Z cam swap for 50-60 Hp. you people are crazy

Mine had to come out, pic's to follow soon.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 12-31-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

GM already did the R&D, I use what they recommend. Good luck with solving your issue.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Chit, that just great, I just switched over to the Royal Purple 2 weeks ago in my engine. Now I feel like I should switch back to Mobil 1 and leave well enough alone!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:49 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

RP is a little too gimmicky for me. Getting owned by BP in that advertising lawsuit was the nail in the coffin. I wouldn't run RP in my lawnmower.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001398592.cfm

U.M.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve train related premature wear or failures assoc. w/ royal purple oil ?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent big bucks to get RPM L-5 trans and diff...they told me to use RP in both, so that's what I've done, assuming they should know what they're talking about. However, I still run M1 in the engine.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
Oil does not seem to be the cause according to the Rocker MFG. I'm having some valve train parts tested on monday while my heads are at the machine shop getting a once over before they go back on.

yes my friends its down to the short block.

Good news is I caught it before anything major happened.

I do have one thing to say. I would NEVER do a C6Z cam swap for 50-60 Hp. you people are crazy

Mine had to come out, pic's to follow soon.

Sounds like you're definitely approaching this the right way; step by step.

Keep us posted on what you learn.

Sorry to see you have to go thru this. In the end, perhaps we'll all benefit by having more knowledge.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Sounds like you're definitely approaching this the right way; step by step.

Keep us posted on what you learn.

Sorry to see you have to go thru this. In the end, perhaps we'll all benefit by having more knowledge.
Thats the goal. I stopped pointing fingers a long time ago. My goal is to figure out why things went south and make sure it doesn't happen again. If I can help some fellow CF members out in the process, all the better.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve train related premature wear or failures assoc. w/ royal purple oil ?