Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cure for the Common Curb....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:14 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Default Cure for the Common Curb....

Introducing the "Cure for the Common Curb". Front end damage when parking is a very real problem for many cars on the road today, especially for vehicles who have installed ground effects or aerodynamic profile improvements on their vehicles. Curbs are something that are one of those road hazards that do more damage to sports cars than any other hazard on the road.

In fact, just a simple trip to the corner store can become a costly errand if you over-estimate your front end clearance when parking: damage repairs could easily run $1000 or more; however,
Curb Alert provides you a warning system that gives you three-deep warning tones as you approach too close to a curb.

The
Curb Alert is very easy to install and does not put a drain on your battery when the car is not on. Using a patented infrared technology, the front mounted sensor is calibrated to a warning distance of anywhere from 8-28" (you decide with whatever you feel comfortable with). The warning alarm is hidden in the car and will give you three gentle tones when you are within a specified distance to the curb. The system gives you a short beep every time you start your car to let you know the system is active.

The Curb Alert is one of a kind and is a gadget that will save you money in the long run, preventing front end damage to any car that is low enough to be vulnerable to a Curb. Do not take a chance, get the Curb Alert to prevent curb damage.

This is not one of those gimmicky products, we have installed it on a Corvette C6 Z06, Nissan GTR, and a Dodge Challenger. In all instances it works exactly as described (we wanted to test it ourselves before we opened the flood gates
) It is the real deal and will save you money in the long run. Heck it might it even give you enough confidence to let your significant other take the car for spin (my biggest worry letting someone else drive my car is there lack of familiarity with judging the curb distance when parking)

Installation Instructions (we are the only ones offering Custom Install packages and videos to install on the C5, C6 and Camaro) and videos are at the link below

We have the
Curb Alert in stock for 149.99 with free shipping.... at the link below...Also have a great video that shows how the system works and another video on how to calibrate it once installed.

Mini Curb Alert

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by southerncarparts; 06-22-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 PM
C6___Z06 LW,FL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[
That's why we back them into parking spots. Every CORVETTE owner knows that. We don' need this product. Try to sell us somthing we can use. Al
The following users liked this post:
11BtoPA (10-14-2020)
Old 05-29-2011, 05:44 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by C6___Z06 LW,FL
[
That's why we back them into parking spots. Every CORVETTE owner knows that. We don' need this product. Try to sell us somthing we can use. Al
Ok, you got me there.... for everyone but Al...... or that does not want to back into a parking space every time they park

Jim
Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 AM
C6___Z06 LW,FL
Instructor

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Ok, you got me there.... for everyone but Al...... or that does not want to back into a parking space every time they park

Jim
Hay Jim, Do you have any " air horns " I can blast at all the pick-up trucks that want to race me???
Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Bgreenard
Go Fast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

[
Not everyone will back up into a parking space as you stated. No need to slam a vendor trying to sell a product.....How about you learn how to spell.

Last edited by Bgreenard; 05-29-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:31 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a front mounted camera on my car so i can see exactly how close i am to the curb. however i would be interested in a sensor either infared as you described or like a parking sensor that can automatically trigger the front mounted cam and activate my backup sensor wire on my headunit.
i have installed a hidden switch near my ebrake i press through the ebrake cover with my finger when parking. it works well but hard to get to. its a simple 2 wire switch and i couls leave it installed as a backup measure to activate my cam. but can you tell me by looking at this device if there would be a way to disect it and use the sensor apparatus to close a simple switch?
that would be awesome if it would detect the curb and switch on the front cam just as i pull up to the curb.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Bgreenard
Go Fast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
i have a front mounted camera on my car so i can see exactly how close i am to the curb. however i would be interested in a sensor either infared as you described or like a parking sensor that can automatically trigger the front mounted cam and activate my backup sensor wire on my headunit.
i have installed a hidden switch near my ebrake i press through the ebrake cover with my finger when parking. it works well but hard to get to. its a simple 2 wire switch and i couls leave it installed as a backup measure to activate my cam. but can you tell me by looking at this device if there would be a way to disect it and use the sensor apparatus to close a simple switch?
that would be awesome if it would detect the curb and switch on the front cam just as i pull up to the curb.
I've seen his setup in person, great idea
Old 05-29-2011, 10:50 AM
irishecmo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Al,

Thanks for the post and I'll be picking one up. When I went through my Paul Walker F&F phase while living in Tokyo I bought a 98' single turbo Supra. Day 1 I heard the audible crunch of the front lip crunching on a curb while 2 buddies from work came outside to see the ride. Embarrassing and painful. The Z's plastic is a little more pricey than a 13 year old Supra.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 AM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

I think this is a great idea! Especially if you intend on installing the ZR1 carbon fiber splitter! I've only owned my ZO6 for 1 month, and came about 1/2" from "nosing" my factory plastic splitter numerous times so far. Luckily I haven't, yet but came so damn close... I'd feel MUCH more confident pulling "into" a parking spot with the ZR1 carbon fiber air splitter on the car with one of these alarms...

Here in NYC you can get a parking ticket for backing into a spot in certain areas designated for pulling into a spot (yes that is a law in certain areas here in NYC and Long Island). Besides a front and rear license plate is mandatory here in NY (no front plate will get you a ticket), so backing into a spot without a front plate is an open invitation to a violation...
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by BigMike NY
I think this is a great idea! Especially if you intend on installing the ZR1 carbon fiber splitter! I've only owned my ZO6 for 1 month, and came about 1/2" from "nosing" my factory plastic splitter numerous times so far. Luckily I haven't, yet but came so damn close... I'd feel MUCH more confident pulling "into" a parking spot with the ZR1 carbon fiber air splitter on the car with one of these alarms...

Here in NYC you can get a parking ticket for backing into a spot in certain areas designated for pulling into a spot (yes that is a law in certain areas here in NYC and Long Island). Besides a front and rear license plate is mandatory here in NY (no front plate will get you a ticket), so backing into a spot without a front plate is an open invitation to a violation...
I have installed several, one on a C6 Z06, Nissan GTR, 2010 Challenger, and doing a C5 Z06 this weekend....So far, everyone LOVES this thing. Once you learn to "trust it" you can pull up to a curb with confidence that you will not tear up your front end just because you misjudged by an inch.

Most all sports cars sit lower than a curb or parking stop, the difference between expensive damage and no damage at all can literally be less than an inch.

The Curb Alert solves this problem for a fair price and works flawlessly.

Jim
Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Curz
Racer

[
Old 06-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Is there a way to hide the sensor better than shown in the picture?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Michael_D
Is there a way to hide the sensor better than shown in the picture?
Which picture? The one on the white C6?

Jim
Old 06-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Yes, the white one.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

Hay Jim, Do you have any " air horns " I can blast at all the pick-up trucks that want to race me???
If a guy in a pick up truck wants to race a C6Z, maybe he knows you don't know how to drive it.

Ease up on Jim, he's a good guy and his product is a good idea.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim:

Love the product !!! Definetly on my bucket list for Big Bird.

Now my question: Any idea where to place the sensor if you have
The C6 Front Bumper Mask (Bra) ?

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...ask-p-284.html

Does anyone else have experience installing the Infra Red (IFR) sensor with the above bra ?

I was thinking somewhere in the middle of the grille but any other suggestions would be considered.

PS Your removable bracket looks great. I like the fact its off center for better air flow to the radiator.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Thanks, and good question.....which I have not thought of...

With a mask, couple of options, underneath would work or in the grill (like normal install without a Bra) but you would have to cut an opening for the bra (probably not ideal).

I would try underneath and see how that works out.

Jim

Originally Posted by Andydp
Jim:

Love the product !!! Definetly on my bucket list for Big Bird.

Now my question: Any idea where to place the sensor if you have
The C6 Front Bumper Mask (Bra) ?

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...ask-p-284.html

Does anyone else have experience installing the Infra Red (IFR) sensor with the above bra ?

I was thinking somewhere in the middle of the grille but any other suggestions would be considered.

PS Your removable bracket looks great. I like the fact its off center for better air flow to the radiator.

Get notified of new replies

To Cure for the Common Curb....

Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 AM
nvr2muchboost
Advanced

Are there instructions for where to best splice into power within the engine bay to enable this unit?

Are there preferred locations within the engine bay to mount the control box to ensure a clean looking installation?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:34 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by nvr2muchboost
Are there instructions for where to best splice into power within the engine bay to enable this unit?

Are there preferred locations within the engine bay to mount the control box to ensure a clean looking installation?
It is fused internally so you can connect it directly to the battery of you want or can hook it into the fuse box under the passenger floor board, up to you.

Some folks mount the control module in the engine bay others in the cabin, again up to you.

I have been trying to schedule an install on a C5 with someone local but have not been able to sync schedules.

My plan is to have an install video complete for the C5 and C6 really soon.

Jim
Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Back in stock....still got a few left...

Jim

Quick Reply: [Z06] Cure for the Common Curb....