Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 statistical failure rate, things to look for with high miles..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:28 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Default LS7 statistical failure rate, things to look for with high miles..

Most of us on this board either have an LS7 or used to own a Z06. I'm in the former now with an 06 Z06 with 71K miles. I love the hell out of the car but unfortunately, I cannot put a warranty on the motor, tranny, or any other power train parts. I'm on my own so to speak. What I want to know is:

Are there are any kind of statistics kept on the failure rate of the LS7?

What is the "weak spot" of the engine, what should I be concerned about at this point in its life?

Since I cant put a warranty on the car, what could I do to my engine to ensure it is going to last me a nice long time?

Alternatively, how should I go about getting my engine inspected to see if there are any problems? Kind of like getting a stress test to see if you are at risk for a heart attack...

In terms of driving style, what should I NOT DO while driving the car that could hurt the motor?

Lastly, what could I do, aside from regular oil changes to help prevent total engine failure?

I just need some information, and some tips. I started a previous thread asking about warranty information since I have some money saved up. I'm now thinking of taking my $1,500+ and putting it into the motor/transmission to ensure it is rock solid. I know its a lot of questions, I'm not the paranoid type, I just need some information specific to my situation. As they say, knowledge is power!

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 05-17-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Basic maintence. Change filters, plugs, fluids when needed. Rear end, brake, tranny, clutch, etc. Don't beat on it until oil is up to temp. Normally 140+ is a good number.

Other then that, enjoy it. Don't bang off the rev limiter or do anything dumb.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Driving around town and on the highway there isn't any thing you need to do. On the track, keep the revs below 5500 most of the time. Don't do a lot of running with the rpms near the 7K rpm rev limiter. I don't say never do it just don't make it a continuous habit as it is very easy to get addicted to the way the engine pulls above 6K rpm especially in 3rd and 4th gear.

Bill
Old 05-17-2011, 02:07 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Driving around town and on the highway there isn't any thing you need to do. On the track, keep the revs below 5500 most of the time. Don't do a lot of running with the rpms near the 7K rpm rev limiter. I don't say never do it just don't make it a continuous habit as it is very easy to get addicted to the way the engine pulls above 6K rpm especially in 3rd and 4th gear.

Bill
What is the concern with running the motor in the upper rev range (once the motor is fully warmed up, but not overheated)? With the stock motor/fresh fluids, what would you look for as max water and oil temps (road circuits)?

It was clear at the Mojave Mile that the best runs required taking it to 7K in 3rd and 4th (acceleration really dropped off in 5th gear).
Old 05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bring it to 7000rpms just to take my Daughter to school and to pick up groceries...
Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 PM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
What is the concern with running the motor in the upper rev range (once the motor is fully warmed up, but not overheated)? With the stock motor/fresh fluids, what would you look for as max water and oil temps (road circuits)?

It was clear at the Mojave Mile that the best runs required taking it to 7K in 3rd and 4th (acceleration really dropped off in 5th gear).
I am assuming he is referring to when the car is on a roadcourse for an HPDE event, etc. When tracking your car(tracking referring to a roadcourse), power is far less important that your line and ability to balance traction with braking and accelaration. Shifting at any ponit below 7000rpm would exponentially lengthen the motor's fatigue interval with such driving. If you are blasting down the 1/4 or doing a mile event, wring her out to 7k. That type of use isn't going to be nearly as detrimental as hovering between 5500rpm and 7k rpm for a 15~20 minute session.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Just like everything else, decisions on LS7 componenets were made based on cost and performance. The two weak links in the engine are the hypereutectic (cast) aluminum pistons and the two piece exhaust valves.

The exhaust valve heads can separate and when they come in contact with the cast aluminum pistons, the softer aluminum piston loses and comes apart leaving the titanium rod swinging on the crankshaft. The rod then destroys everything in its path.

Having said that, there are several LS7 engines with over 100k miles and they are still running strong. If you love the car, just keep up the GM recommended maintenance and drive it within factory recommendations.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vito.A
Just like everything else, decisions on LS7 componenets were made based on cost and performance. The two weak links in the engine are the hypereutectic (cast) aluminum pistons and the two piece exhaust valves.

The exhaust valve heads can separate and when they come in contact with the cast aluminum pistons, the softer aluminum piston loses and comes apart leaving the titanium rod swinging on the crankshaft. The rod then destroys everything in its path.

Having said that, there are several LS7 engines with over 100k miles and they are still running strong. If you love the car, just keep up the GM recommended maintenance and drive it within factory recommendations.
That's why you needs heads like these on my drag car! ET Performance C5R race heads good for 9,000 rpms and flow numbers that would make a category 5 hurricane seem like a small breeze and 6 bolt per cylinder! These heads cost me major dollars!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Most of us on this board either have an LS7 or used to own a Z06. I'm in the former now with an 06 Z06 with 71K miles. I love the hell out of the car but unfortunately, I cannot put a warranty on the motor, tranny, or any other power train parts. I'm on my own so to speak. What I want to know is:

Are there are any kind of statistics kept on the failure rate of the LS7?

What is the "weak spot" of the engine, what should I be concerned about at this point in its life?

Since I cant put a warranty on the car, what could I do to my engine to ensure it is going to last me a nice long time?

Alternatively, how should I go about getting my engine inspected to see if there are any problems? Kind of like getting a stress test to see if you are at risk for a heart attack...

In terms of driving style, what should I NOT DO while driving the car that could hurt the motor?

Lastly, what could I do, aside from regular oil changes to help prevent total engine failure?

I just need some information, and some tips. I started a previous thread asking about warranty information since I have some money saved up. I'm now thinking of taking my $1,500+ and putting it into the motor/transmission to ensure it is rock solid. I know its a lot of questions, I'm not the paranoid type, I just need some information specific to my situation. As they say, knowledge is power!
If it were me, and I was concerned about it, I'd get new valve springs, rocker arms and valves.

Or since people have pointed to the valve guides, just get a new set of heads altogether.

It'll cost you some money, so don't forget your checkbook and don't forget your pen.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-17-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 1.8t
I am assuming he is referring to when the car is on a roadcourse for an HPDE event, etc. When tracking your car(tracking referring to a roadcourse), power is far less important that your line and ability to balance traction with braking and accelaration. Shifting at any ponit below 7000rpm would exponentially lengthen the motor's fatigue interval with such driving. If you are blasting down the 1/4 or doing a mile event, wring her out to 7k. That type of use isn't going to be nearly as detrimental as hovering between 5500rpm and 7k rpm for a 15~20 minute session.
Yes, that is what I was referring to. Standing mile and quarter mile blasts are in the some time category. The few seconds they last aren't an issue. Its when you are constantly pulling the big revs that things seem to happen. Oil consumption goes up way up as well. A lot of us track dogs use a quart per day. On a Road Course with a 2 minute lap time the car could be running over 6K with multiple pulls to the rev limiter for close to a minute and a half and if you do that for 30 minutes 4 or 5 times per day the engine sees a lot of high rpm usage. A drag engine that gets 20 12 second blasts down the quarter per day may not see as much high rpm usage in a year as a road course engine sees in a 30 minute session.

Bill
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
If it were me, and I was concerned about it, I'd get new valve springs, rocker arms and valves.

Or since people have pointed to the valve guides, just get a new set of heads altogether.
- at least do the valve springs, rockers and valves and throw in a new clutch. This should get you another 71k miles easy.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Pushing near 77K on mine. I take it to the track. And I drive it the same as the first day I owned it

DH
Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Pushing near 77K on mine. I take it to the track. And I drive it the same as the first day I owned it

DH
What's your secret Howie??? :
Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Thanks for all the info. What would I be looking at for pricing with new valve springs, and valves? My car already had the clutch and rocker arms replaced at 50k miles. What is wrong with the valves and springs on the stock motor?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

DH
Nice. I think I'll be fine as well, I trust the engine 100%. Have you experienced any issues at all with your car? Any warranty work?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Just clicked 139,000 and drive it the same as always, no problems.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Thanks for all the info. What would I be looking at for pricing with new valve springs, and valves? My car already had the clutch and rocker arms replaced at 50k miles. What is wrong with the valves and springs on the stock motor?
Don't know, but here is a new set of heads the guy is asking $1400.00 for.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...-complete.html

That's about what you were going to pay for that warranty you mentioned earlier. Plus if you went that route, you could sell your current heads to offset the cost. Just an idea if you are worried.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 statistical failure rate, things to look for with high miles..

Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
Your kidding???
Old 05-18-2011, 12:18 AM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimman
That's amazing! Shows the reliability, durability and power these motors are capable of!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
What's your secret Howie??? :
Run stock fluids, change regularly and enjoy daily

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 statistical failure rate, things to look for with high miles..