Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Exhaust noise from the HVAC vents?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM
seagull extra
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust noise from the HVAC vents?

I have just purchased a 2007 Z06 and one odd thing I have noticed is a bit of exhaust noise coming from the HVAC vents. It is most noticable at about 2500rpm and giving it a little throtle. I know that it has vacume actuated butterfly valves on the exhaust that open in that range and my theory is that I am getting some exhaust feedback through the vacume lines that perhaps the HVAC system and exhaust valves may share. Has anybody else noticed this noise?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 AM
seagull extra
Intermediate

I guess if I am the only person getting this noise I may have some sort of a problem with the vacume system. Unfortunatly none of my friends have a c6 z06 so I can't compare mine to another one.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 AM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

This is a new one on me. Bump for some help for ya!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:34 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Does it sound like a small fan fluttering? And it sounds like it's coming from the center vents, or maybe somewhere on the pax side?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM
seagull extra
Intermediate

It sounds like a faint version of the exhaust noise. When I first noticed it I thought it might be coming from the radio but I soon determined that it was coming from the vents. It is only noticable at about 2500rpm when I am stepping on the gas a bit and I think this is also when the butterfly valves in the exhaust are opening. My best idea so far is some kind of feedback through the vacume lines. At any rate it seems like I must have some sort of problem as it seems like this is not a normal noise for these cars.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

You may want to take it to the dealer on this one. It does not appear to be normal and the issue does not appear to be widespread. If you are still under warranty or have purchased a GMPP or anything, I would take it to the dealer to have them take a look at it.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your repairs.

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 05-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by seagull extra
It sounds like a faint version of the exhaust noise. When I first noticed it I thought it might be coming from the radio but I soon determined that it was coming from the vents. It is only noticable at about 2500rpm when I am stepping on the gas a bit and I think this is also when the butterfly valves in the exhaust are opening. My best idea so far is some kind of feedback through the vacume lines. At any rate it seems like I must have some sort of problem as it seems like this is not a normal noise for these cars.
Z06 exhaust opens at 3500 rpm (3000 rpm in comp mode). Could be shifter rattle. That often happens around 2500 rpm. Check to see if the noise changes with your hand on and off the shifter. The fact that is happens under some throttle at that rpm makes me think shifter. If it is, no problem just annoying. GM has gone to the non-Z06 rubber mounted shift box for both Z06 and base car.

Cheers - Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust noise from the HVAC vents?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Exhaust noise from the HVAC vents?