Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Michelin Pilot Super Sport 345/30ZR19

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

AT&SB,
Since you have a lot of pre-release track experience with this tire, I am looking forward to your evaluation on the street. What I would be interested in are your impressions on:

How you feel the mold resease initially affects grip.

How long it took to eliminate mold release and how much better the grip was afterward.

How you would rate the forward bite with a 2500 RPM roll-on throttle in 1st gear.

How much better do you think my wife Linda would look with longer hair?
Gary
Old 02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
KillrZ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered my PSS set yesterday! So pumped to get rid of the GY Run-craps.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
AT&SB,
Since you have a lot of pre-release track experience with this tire, I am looking forward to your evaluation on the street. What I would be interested in are your impressions on:

How you feel the mold resease initially affects grip.

How long it took to eliminate mold release and how much better the grip was afterward.

How you would rate the forward bite with a 2500 RPM roll-on throttle in 1st gear.

How much better do you think my wife Linda would look with longer hair?
Gary
Gary,
I replied here to keep this thread on track(No Pun )

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...per-sport.html

Steve
Old 02-22-2012, 02:18 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

If a newly mounted tire came in at the end of 2 laps, it probably didn't have any or very little mold resease.
Thanks for the info.
Gary
Old 02-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
If a newly mounted tire came in at the end of 2 laps, it probably didn't have any or very little mold resease.
Thanks for the info.
Gary
FYI, Per Michelin Engineers:

The Pilot Super Sport tire manufacturing facility does not use mold release agents and all molds are either bare or coated with an industrial coating/not lubricant.
This coating reduces friction, improves wear resistance and is used for non-stick applications. An example would be non-stick cookware (like DuPont's trademarkedTeflon).
All of the Pilot Super Sport molds (both in EU and the US) have these coated molds.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

installed a set of stock-sized PSSs on my mostly stock C6Z yesterday. non ZP, but i believe this is the only option anyway.

on average pavement (not super slick, but not concrete or nice rough cap), they hook first gear if you drop the throttle while rolling at 2k rpm. a 3k hard launch is not out of the question. you can bang second from redline in first without more than a 1/10 s wheelspin. on poor pavement, they spin, but the car goes. very easy to modulate, nice gradual breakaway. fairly talkative at highway speeds. loud, but in a different way than were the supercars. have yet to push it in corners, but turn in is very nice.

caveat: 2 ~160 lb humans on board. full tank of gas. ambient temp ~70F.

they get my preliminary endorsement. very impressed with early life performance. pics and more info to come.

and i'm going to post another opinion after they have 6 months worth of heat cycles.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Allthrottleandsomebottle
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Thanks for the great info on the new SS tires. I may be going with a set for street use. I use NT05 for HPDE days (less expensive tire with good feedback at the limit) mounted on a extra set of OEM rims.

BTW - can you change/turn-off your flashing spider avatar? Makes it irritating to read your excellent comments (unless that is what you are going for).

Jim
Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,498 Likes on 2,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnac
BTW - can you change/turn-off your flashing spider avatar? Makes it irritating to read your excellent comments (unless that is what you are going for).

Jim
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Hehehe........did that to pizz off another Moderator accomplished........changed
Thanks for the kind words, I just try to give back what I have learned from many a thread here on the CF
Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 PM
thisismyusername
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from a weekend at the track with these tires and I have to say, I'm in love with them. At the skidpad on Friday, with the traction system off, I saw 1.28 g's, in Competition mode, I saw 1.24 g's. On the track, they gripped and handled incredibly well.

A special treat was that I had Mike Pettiford drive my car on the track today (man can he drive). After two laps, I checked and he was able to pull 1.28 g's. Once again, I'm in love with these tires!

2010 Corvette Z06
Engine: Stock
Suspension: Stock
Rotors: DBA 4000
Brake Pads: Carbotech XP10/front and XP8/rear
Tires: Pilot Super Sport: 275/35ZR-18 and 325/30ZR-19
Tire Pressure: 30 cold
Alignment: Pfadt Performance Street - Track Use with Street Tires

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf

Last edited by thisismyusername; 04-22-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

At last! Is this our first new report from a track guy? Thanks. I went ahead and threw on a pair of 345 Cups to get the forward bite I was looking for and man, did they ever work. However, if they give up before about 5000 miles or a year on the car, I am going with a full set of PSS. Those are approaching race tire G loads.
Thanks again.
Gary
Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM
94boosted
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are any of you guys with the PSS 285/345 tire combination lowered (bolts or coilovers)? Any rubbing? How are these tires for autocross? What pressures do you run for auto-x or track?
Old 07-17-2012, 01:56 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Good news, but it will be mucho $$$$$
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 AM
TT32VGT
Drifting

jsut had these 345 super sports installed on my 07 lmb z06 and i love them. they are kinda noisy and the engine drag control comes up now bc i didnt change the fronts to wider tires, but THE CAR HOOKS!!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM
jph331
Intermediate

Has anyone changed only the rears to the supersports? I just put the 345's on the rear with my 275 nitto invo's on the front. I don't know if the tires are working against each other or its the sidewall difference but it seems to have a bit of sway or unbalanced feeling in the corners.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:24 PM
CGGS
Pro

Originally Posted by jph331
Has anyone changed only the rears to the supersports? I just put the 345's on the rear with my 275 nitto invo's on the front. I don't know if the tires are working against each other or its the sidewall difference but it seems to have a bit of sway or unbalanced feeling in the corners.
Mixing different tires is not a good idea in general. Different sidewall stiffness, different tread compounds, different road manners.

Other than that, what you could be experiencing as well is full tread tire squirm. All new tires do it unless they are slicks or shaved.

Even using the same tires, if you have old and worn on one end and new on the other end, you will still get some instability.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:53 PM
dbd723
6th Gear

Default MPSS = money well spent

Appreciate everyones input from this thread and others like it. Went from OEM stock tires to MPSS 285/35/18 and 345/30/19 combo for 2007 z06, fit well no rub no warning lights great traction and great performance. I drive my car HARD on the street (where appropriate). These hold the Z's power on warm pavement/warm tires with minimal wheel spin at any speed/gear and still function well at colder temps/in the rain. NO TRAMLINING (one of the most annoying feature of OEM GYs), and smoother ride. Couldn't be happier with them. Hold the z06 power well throughout the torque/power curve, and provide much better control at all speed turning. I imagine they would hold any amount of power you could give them in a base vette or z51 package without breaking traction.

Also, if you are curious and can't decide like I was, michelin has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so you can literally try them out (short of going racing at the track) and see if you like them. This is what I did, but there's no way I'm taking these tires back. Will be buying another set when I wear these out assuming these maintain their performance through most of the treadwear warranty period.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Michelin Pilot Super Sport 345/30ZR19