Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] HINSON Motorsports World Record Standing Mile C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default HINSON Motorsports World Record Standing Mile C6

WOW! What a weekend! Where do we start...

We loaded our standing mile Corvette up on Wednesday with a mild tune up of 1,428 rwhp. This was on very low timing and with an upside of a few hundred horsepower still dial in at the track, if needed.

Well, you could say that it was an action packed weekend. It started with the longest possible route due to a closed bridge across the Mississippi River. We finally made it after roughly 15 hours of driving, countless fuel stops, and a trailer tire that gave up the fight.

We arrived at the track Friday morning and were ready to make a hit just after the drivers meeting.

We loaded the plugs during the failed burn out, so the first half mile was wasted. I started walking back to the trailer thinking it was a wasted run, but Lane (our driver) got it cleared up for the second half mile. He went wide open throttle at the half mile marker at a moderate boost level, and he was still able to run a solid 221mph starting at half track. This was the new standing mile record.

We made a second run that day on a low boost setting. At only 13psi, we set a new record of 224mph. Our single turbo Corvette was working flawlessly. The winds at the track picked up, and we decided to call it a day and go after the next morning.

Conditions were good on Saturday morning. We were in the staging lanes early, and we had the car setup to run an anticipated 245mph in the mile. This was done on a higher level of boost but still very far from a max effort. We instructed the driver to get after it in low gear, and the crowd responded nicely to the change in off the line acceleration.

As you have no doubt heard, the car was severely damaged near the 3/4 mile marker. We are very thankful that the driver walked away without any injury. He was flown to the hospital for an evaluation where he was released shortly thereafter. We pulled the data from the HOLLEY EFI Dominator ECU, and there was nothing wrong with the engine or drivetrain. All signs are pointing to a wheel/tire failure. The car was traveling at 230mph when it left the track, so it would have been a spectacular run for a different reason. We're confident it would have been in the 243-248mph range.

We reached our goals for the weekend. Have fun, go fast, and set a new record without anyone getting hurt. We just planned on the record being higher.

We'll be back again soon to raise the bar on our own record.

Check out our video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtsIBbIPW9A (Still processing at 7pm CST)

We want to a take a moment to tell everyone that the minimum safety rules are there for a reason. If you're going over 210mph, you really need a full cage which is more than the rules require. We are working with the TEXAS Mile people to start a new group of rules for the faster cars. Our safety equipment worked as planned, but our driver was very lucky still.

We'll see you guys at another one mile event soon.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:28 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Um, Yeah!!!! Your driver was VERY lucky!!! God was with him. Best of luck in the future
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

holy **** that was insane i am so glad to hear the drive is ok!

was it possibly rear rim failure??
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 PM
ITS STOCK
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a shame at least no one was hurt!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HinsonSuperCars
WOW! What a weekend! Where do we start...

We loaded our standing mile Corvette up on Wednesday with a mild tune up of 1,428 rwhp. This was on very low timing and with an upside of a few hundred horsepower still dial in at the track, if needed.

Well, you could say that it was an action packed weekend. It started with the longest possible route due to a closed bridge across the Mississippi River. We finally made it after roughly 15 hours of driving, countless fuel stops, and a trailer tire that gave up the fight.

We arrived at the track Friday morning and were ready to make a hit just after the drivers meeting.

We loaded the plugs during the failed burn out, so the first half mile was wasted. I started walking back to the trailer thinking it was a wasted run, but Lane (our driver) got it cleared up for the second half mile. He went wide open throttle at the half mile marker at a moderate boost level, and he was still able to run a solid 221mph starting at half track. This was the new standing mile record.

We made a second run that day on a low boost setting. At only 13psi, we set a new record of 224mph. Our single turbo Corvette was working flawlessly. The winds at the track picked up, and we decided to call it a day and go after the next morning.

Conditions were good on Saturday morning. We were in the staging lanes early, and we had the car setup to run an anticipated 245mph in the mile. This was done on a higher level of boost but still very far from a max effort. We instructed the driver to get after it in low gear, and the crowd responded nicely to the change in off the line acceleration.

As you have no doubt heard, the car was severely damaged near the 3/4 mile marker. We are very thankful that the driver walked away without any injury. He was flown to the hospital for an evaluation where he was released shortly thereafter. We pulled the data from the HOLLEY EFI Dominator ECU, and there was nothing wrong with the engine or drivetrain. All signs are pointing to a wheel/tire failure. The car was traveling at 230mph when it left the track, so it would have been a spectacular run for a different reason. We're confident it would have been in the 243-248mph range.

We reached our goals for the weekend. Have fun, go fast, and set a new record without anyone getting hurt. We just planned on the record being higher.

We'll be back again soon to raise the bar on our own record.

Check out our video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtsIBbIPW9A (Still processing at 7pm CST)

We want to a take a moment to tell everyone that the minimum safety rules are there for a reason. If you're going over 210mph, you really need a full cage which is more than the rules require. We are working with the TEXAS Mile people to start a new group of rules for the faster cars. Our safety equipment worked as planned, but our driver was very lucky still.

We'll see you guys at another one mile event soon.
i am glad to hear your driver walked i am also very glad to hear that you know you guy's need more safty equipment in those cars
your driver got very lucky in that one,

full cage
window net
master cut off in rear
sfi rims
meth tank not sealed off from driver is not good also

is a hans device required?

i know it will chase some cars away, but it wll save a life in the long run

Last edited by rattt g; 03-28-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

dude was it necessary to quote all the pics???
Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvandentop
dude was it necessary to quote all the pics???
not realy i guess
Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by rattt g
not realy i guess
sorry not trying to be a board **** or anything but on some of the longer post it can suck if alot of peeps do the same thing.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvandentop
sorry not trying to be a board **** or anything but on some of the longer post it can suck if alot of peeps do the same thing.

i hear ya, and your rite
Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Man, glad to know everybody is ok.

Were you running a splitter on the front? I couldn't tell from the pics. Also, have heard some chatter about the tires, anything you can share on that?

Good thing is everybody was able to go home to their families. Machines can be rebuilt/replaced.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

YouTube link seems to be down
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at 3:37 you see a small puff of smoke coming from the drivers side rear seconds before it starts loosing control...one would assume that is a tire letting go...but that tire didnt look like it blew apart in the pics?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Passed you guys on I-10 I believe coming back east on Sunday. You were merging back on the interstate as we rolled up on ya.

Originally Posted by rattt g
i am glad to hear your driver walked i am also very glad to hear that you know you guy's need more safty equipment in those cars
full cage
window net
master cut off in rear
sfi rims
meth tank not sealed off from driver is not good also

is a hans device required?

i know it will chase some cars away, but it wll save a life in the long run
After seeing this in person I totally agree with the above. Cars are stupid fast at these events and for the lesson to not be learned and rules to not be changed after two 200mph+ cars wrecked in just 6months is foolish.

Originally Posted by JetBlue427
at 3:37 you see a small puff of smoke coming from the drivers side rear seconds before it starts loosing control...one would assume that is a tire letting go...but that tire didnt look like it blew apart in the pics?
If you see the wrecked pics you can clearly see the driver rear wheel is gone, literally! The center hub of the rim is still bolted to the hub but all the spokes, barrel and tire are not connected.

Last edited by LEAVINU; 03-28-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Congrats on reaching your goals and setting the C6 standing mile record!!

Praise GOD for protecting/saving your driver!!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
If you see the wrecked pics you can clearly see the driver rear wheel is gone, literally! The center hub of the rim is still bolted to the hub but all the spokes, barrel and tire are not connected.
yes i seen that pic...but the tire still looks completely in tact and beaded to the rim...if you`ve ever seen a blown tire at hwy speeds its usually a mess of rubber and steel belts....the rim itself probably blew apart on impact of the 360 degree flip..but who knows! are those stock Z06 rims or the 18inch replicas?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JetBlue427
yes i seen that pic...but the tire still looks completely in tact and beaded to the rim...if you`ve ever seen a blown tire at hwy speeds its usually a mess of rubber and steel belts....the rim itself probably blew apart on impact of the 360 degree flip..but who knows! are those stock Z06 rims or the 18inch replicas?
i would say repo, they had the 18" m/t on
Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Glad you all made it back ok. It was great getting to see all of you at the track setting records. I wish it would of turned out better in the end. Hopefully you will rebuild and be back soon. Hopefully Lane is not too sore and felling good by now. Glad there were no internal injuries. I enjoyed the runs before the accident. Very powerful Vette.
Pm your address so I can send a check out for the motor mounts. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To HINSON Motorsports World Record Standing Mile C6

Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 PM
gtodoug
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so glad you guys are ok. looking at that footage.............wow!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Blown04Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hinson motorsports is a class act!!!

Very impressive performance, and obviously top notch R&D to push that envelope. You guys earned my respect that`s for sure, good luck in the future, and I`ll be watching to see you reach the next level of true corvette performance in the not to distant future.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HinsonSuperCars
We pulled the data from the HOLLEY EFI Dominator ECU, and there was nothing wrong with the engine or drivetrain. All signs are pointing to a wheel/tire failure.
The FIRST thing I thought of when I saw pictures of this car and the HP rating was "Why aren't they running stronger wheels like the Forgeline GA3Rs??" The second thing I thought of is, "Why aren't they running a larger rear spoiler with that front lip?" Katech's wind tunnel numbers don't lie.

Thank GOD (literally) the car only did a single 360 with a twist. That's the ONLY reason the driver survived. If the car had continued to flip at that speed, he'd have been gone for sure.

Quick Reply: [Z06] HINSON Motorsports World Record Standing Mile C6