Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Installed Coleman Slotted Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:26 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
yeah I went through the same thing buying my Z06. Local dealer wanted an extra $10,000 OVER MSRP for " regional demand" here in Colorado.

So I bought my car from Kerbek at $8,500 UNDER MSRP and had it delivered for $1,100. I figured if he knew the market better than me....good luck getting an extra $17,XXX for the same car same warranty.

That thing was sitting there forever....at least he tried
Good for you; an educated consumer is a happy consumer.

I'm still amazed that many of these characters don't see the double dip that's coming.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah I went through the same thing buying my Z06. Local dealer wanted an extra $10,000 OVER MSRP for " regional demand" here in Colorado.

So I bought my car from Kerbek at $8,500 UNDER MSRP and had it delivered for $1,100. I figured if he knew the market better than me....good luck getting an extra $17,XXX for the same car same warranty.

That thing was sitting there forever....at least he tried
That is the gamble they take and your right is to shop. Look at ZR-1's at 150 grand and now no interest below MSRP If you want to be first you pay. When I want to buy a C5 stick it was 5 over list in 97 or 98. Waited a year and it was 5 grand off so 10,000 grand difference in a year for a stick shift. We all think we have gold when selling and tin when buying. market sets the price.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been using colemans rings and performance AFX hats on the track since fall 2008 after talking with Bob Finlayson. I would run nothing else on the track. These rotors ( combined with Cobalt pads and proper cooling and SRF fluid) are Incredible! they last and last..

Here are pics with both front CCW wheels and stock C6Z wheels. I'm on my second set of rings in the front. The hats have discolored a bit over time with LOTS of heat. But then again thats what I bought them for.

As others have stated, I have to admit that the car does feel better when these are installed. I just added take-off ZR1 wheel/tires and can notice that additional weigth too.

NOTE: rotors were installed incorrectly with the stock caliper pics....but you get the idea.
AP's nice
Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Beautiful brakes! Thanks for the post

I'm in the market for a set of rotors...I think these baby's get the

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between the Coleman and the AFX or LG rotors?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterM
Good for you; an educated consumer is a happy consumer.

I'm still amazed that many of these characters don't see the double dip that's coming.
OFF TOPIC:

There are plenty of people who refuse to see the Double Dip (or a decade or two of lost growth, IMHO) - there is no specific professional requirement to have that viewpoint.

But, to play Devil's Advocate: I've been waiting for that Double Dip for three years now. I have to tip my hat to the Powers That Be - they've done a great job at delaying the inevitable for their own uses (abeit at tremendous cost).
Old 01-18-2012, 04:24 PM
nhpln
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B y r o n
I got my reply:

"Byron,

We have floating and solid mount rotors, and rears with the e-brake provision. Solid mount rotors sell for $385 and floating rotors are $450.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Daniel Finke
Finspeed, LLC
715 Sturgeon Street
Moberly, MO 65270
Phone: 573-446-1444
Fax: 573-514-4047

Email: daniel@finspeed.com
Web: www.finspeed.com"
What is the difference between solid mount and floating? Is solid mount still a 2-piece? If so, what makes the floating ones $65 more? Do they weigh less than the solid mounts? Less prone to heat effects?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Love those rotors. If I stick with the stock system, those are the ones to get a long with a set of one piece single pads.

I understand this is an old thread, but in case you happen to stumble upon it... Any feedback on the compatibility with the OEM Hand/E-Brake? I assume each rotor was quoted at $450, not the whole set?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nhpln
What is the difference between solid mount and floating? Is solid mount still a 2-piece? If so, what makes the floating ones $65 more? Do they weigh less than the solid mounts? Less prone to heat effects?
Both types are 2 piece with the following differences: Floating rotor have different mounting hardware and allow for minor side to side movement and expansion and contraction of the ring. Solid rotor don't really allow for any side to side movement or expansion/contraction of the ring. It is said that floating rotors can make more noise because of this movement.

I don't think there is much if any weight difference in weight.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 PM
nhpln
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Both types are 2 piece with the following differences: Floating rotor have different mounting hardware and allow for minor side to side movement and expansion and contraction of the ring. Solid rotor don't really allow for any side to side movement or expansion/contraction of the ring. It is said that floating rotors can make more noise because of this movement.

Thanks. Are the rotors in the original post the solid or floating type?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Random84
Safety Car

The reason why "floating" rotors can be important, is that if the rotors are static, they can distort at speed and with movement. This has the effect of decentering the rotor slightly (relative to the center line of the caliper) which can compress one pad or the other.

This increase in gap - or "slack" in the caliper pistons - relative to the surface of the rotor can result in a loose-feeling pedal. How loose depends on the braking system, the amount of deflection, wheel movement, etc etc.

So "floating" is ideal from a braking performance perspective - but as with all things there is a trade-off: the mechanisms used to float the rotor relative to the hub (allowing the rotor to move and stay centered in the caliper) often creates a decent amount of noise. For reference, most OEM systems are non-floating, and very few people notice any soft-pedal effects because they just don't push the braking system that hard. For *most* people, the floating system is not necessary, and probably would be frustrating from a noise perspective.

But that's just what I picked up from the internet.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Anybody else having issues with extreme rusting on these rotors? Any part that isn't touched by the pad is rusty, including inside the slots. I guess it's my fault that I should've asked if these are zinc coated before buying, but I assumed that they were for the money. Is there a performance reason for this? The huge weight savings is awesome and they work flawless on the street and track, so overall I'm happy. When people comment I tell them it's because they are a 'race' part, so it's not a big deal. I just expected them to look a little nicer for my $1500.

Name:  sideskirt9.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  131.2 KB
Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
Anybody else having issues with extreme rusting on these rotors? Any part that isn't touched by the pad is rusty, including inside the slots. I guess it's my fault that I should've asked if these are zinc coated before buying, but I assumed that they were for the money. Is there a performance reason for this? The huge weight savings is awesome and they work flawless on the street and track, so overall I'm happy. When people comment I tell them it's because they are a 'race' part, so it's not a big deal. I just expected them to look a little nicer for my $1500.

Mark off the rusted areas with tape (the pad path), bead-blast the rust off and then coat with hi-temp black paint.

That should buy you a few years... but I agree - I noticed these aren't zinc coated and I find that odd, considering that aesthetic is important to a LOT of Corvette owners.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 PM
StreetRacingGuy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Random84
Mark off the rusted areas with tape (the pad path), bead-blast the rust off and then coat with hi-temp black paint.

That should buy you a few years... but I agree - I noticed these aren't zinc coated and I find that odd, considering that aesthetic is important to a LOT of Corvette owners.
I always use POR 15 for rotors....take rotors off car, clean/remove rust, use a brush and apply POR 15 (obviously mask off rotor surface) and let dry for 2 days before putting them back on. They will stay black forever.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetRacingGuy
I always use POR 15 for rotors....take rotors off car, clean/remove rust, use a brush and apply POR 15 (obviously mask off rotor surface) and let dry for 2 days before putting them back on. They will stay black forever.
How well does POR15 hold up when the rotor temps are above 1200 deg F? Most of the paint I have seen on rotors turns sort of chalky gray after a couple of track sessions.

Bill
Old 01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
How well does POR15 hold up when the rotor temps are above 1200 deg F? Most of the paint I have seen on rotors turns sort of chalky gray after a couple of track sessions.

Bill
It's a rust prevention coating specifically designed for hi-temp areas like exhaust manifolds, intakes, etc. So that's probably why it holds up well on *most* rotors.

I just checked it out online and it's not too bad: $20 for a 1/2 pint can of it.

http://www.advanced-rust-protection....ry_Code=HiTemp
Old 01-20-2012, 07:06 PM
troy6166
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. I was getting ready to pull the trigger as I have put my Z on a diet, however, I will not sacrafice appearance.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:36 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by troy6166
Thanks for posting. I was getting ready to pull the trigger as I have put my Z on a diet, however, I will not sacrafice appearance.
I second that, thanks for posting
Old 10-17-2013, 05:27 PM
soldier4life
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this still and issue? do DBA 5000's do the same? Im beyond ready to buy and narrowed it down to DBA or Colemans...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Installed Coleman Slotted Brake Rotors