Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How do you get rid of the "exhaust popping" on deceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 PM
SSMOKE
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Speaking of NASCAR. I am a huge fan and travel 1/4 way around the globe to the Daytona 500 every year. Anyway, if you have ever been to a race you know that the cars are thunderous. They are very loud and not only do the pop upon deceleration they throw a HUGE flame out of the exhaust pipes. Well they DID throw a HUGE flame. Not anymore. 2012 is the first year that SPRINT CUP NASCAR cars use fuel injection and with that (as opposed to a carburetor) there are no longer flames exiting the exhaust pipes.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 AM
m.whitmell
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo T/A
Agreed....the popping sounds like total @$$. A smoother, toned exhaust is definetly a better sounding one IMO.

Will an x-pipe cure this?
I put on an Akrapovic with the x pipe and it burbles a little more.....
Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 AM
GrillnZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have corsa exhaust and it crackles pretty good but I want MORE!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM
dcsteg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vito.A
The easiest way to stop the popping would be to put a "mild to wild" kit on it and just close the exhaust valves when it bothers you.
Funny..I have mild to wild...would never turn it off to avoid that great sound.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I really don't know why, but my "popping" on deceleration almost completely disappeared after I installed the Vette-Air scoop and diffuser plate. It wasn't immediately, so I'm assuming the computer made some adjustments because of the change in air volume/temp available to the engine, after I drove it some. I didn't do any tuning.

I have a M2W and it's the same in either mode.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Prius?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM
F430F1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 For Pop and Burble.......Steve
Old 05-11-2012, 05:41 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default popping

wasnt sure if i liked it until now
Old 05-11-2012, 07:03 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

i love that sound!! um...volts are real quiet....
Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Burble forever, forever burble.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
I've just purchased a 2011 Z06 and the only thing that drives me up the wall about this car is the hidious sounding popping coming from the exhaust when the car is decelerating in gear or between spirited shifts This sound reminds me of a cheap car with leaky header gaskets!

Are there moisture drain holes or something else that needs to be plugged on the head pipes to cure this? What is causing this? I've tried to do a search on this forum but came up empty handed.
Are your bimode mufflers open all the time? Do you use mild to wild and this ain't no cadilliac.
z51vett
Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
I've just purchased a 2011 Z06 and the only thing that drives me up the wall about this car is the hidious sounding popping coming from the exhaust when the car is decelerating in gear or between spirited shifts This sound reminds me of a cheap car with leaky header gaskets!

Are there moisture drain holes or something else that needs to be plugged on the head pipes to cure this? What is causing this? I've tried to do a search on this forum but came up empty handed.
Push clutch in and slow car with brake this will stop the wonderful sound you hate. Do you drive small foreign cars perhaps.
z51vett
Sorry not trying to be smartass but this is a high per car as in vipers and F cars not a P car thing 6 cyl you know can you say volkswagen power.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:26 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Are your bimode mufflers open all the time? Do you use mild to wild and this ain't no cadilliac.
Yes the are ope but it does it both open and closed.

Push clutch in and slow car with brake this will stop the wonderful sound you hate. Do you drive small foreign cars perhaps.
You should apologize....my legacy of owing and driving chevrolet's finest performance car's (LS5 & LS6 SS Ceevelles, Z28's, etc) date from way back!

Sorry not trying to be smartass but this is a high per car as in vipers and F cars not a P car thing 6 cyl you know can you say volkswagen power.
You must have missed my earlier comment about my LS7 Monte Carlo SS......I can tell you that the exhaust system on that car has an exotic sound that makes ANY Z06, Viper or F body exhaust system sound weak in compaison and has ZERO popping so obviously popping is NOT a characteristic of ALL performance cars and besides...before the days of emissions equipment no American performance car popped from the factory either (that I am aware of)!

Please remember the point of this post, I was just after root cause and now I know what the root cause of the popping is and as I have also said, if popping is your thing, more power to you but to infer that I am some sort of idiot or have zero appreciation of a high performance car because I don't like popping exhaust is simply childish.....when you hear a divergent opinion contrary to yours no one should try and cast their likes, wishes and desires above someone else's, what's the point It's no different that you liking a bright pink colored Corvette and then me calling you out on it......I might not like it but if you do then enojy it!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM
dcsteg
Instructor

Quote:
Yes the are ope but it does it both open and closed.

My 2011 Z is quiet when closed. With mild to wild open it raises all kinds of hell.

Are you sure in the butterfly valves are closing all the way.. You might have to adjust the solenoids if that is the issue.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:22 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the 2011+ has different ecu programming for the bi-mode mufflers. when you put your foot in it, it will open the valves around 3k rpms with moderate throttle input and when you come off throttle the car will leave the valves open for 3 seconds compared to 1 second in the 06-10 year models. i haven't heard of anyone reprogramming it out. trade it for a CTS?

swapping to an H-pipe will not eliminate the pops. it will change the rpm at when the pops are heard. i've played with exhaust a ton and have had my hands on all the mid pipes and mufflers. i'm in th eprocess of converting my 2012 z06 exhaust to 2011 z06 exhaust to get back the raspy midrange bark. all 2012 vettes have an additional 2 cats in the x-pipe. with the zr1 mufflers it puts the sound somewhere between a stock 06-10 z06 and muffler modded cans. when you hit the throttle and then push in the clutch, the car emits a shotgun blast out the back... my 2011 zo6/zr1 exhaust didn't do this... so enjoy your gurgle

Last edited by MarkRx; 05-12-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:13 PM
QIKSLVR
Instructor

You need to get some gasoline running through those veins of yours buddy.

The popping you describe is music to a gearhead. The Z06 is a 'street legal' race car.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:24 PM
DaddyBarlow
Racer

Originally Posted by QIKSLVR
You need to get some gasoline running through those veins of yours buddy.

The popping you describe is music to a gearhead. The Z06 is a 'street legal' race car.
I agree, the popping is something that is awesome sounding to most "car guys" and its "standard" on a race car. I have a very agressive cam which will throw a touch of raw fuel into the exhuast on back-outs...etc. When I first got my car, my 10 year son wanted to me the rev the engine a little to show-off to his buddy...Afterwards, he was so excited to tell me that flames were shooting out of the mufflers....I just laughed. I was a local hero with the 4th graders that year...lol

A quick engine calibration can fix it or improve it some, depending on your cam overlap. But, I really, really like the sound. Anybody who ever grew up around road racing and/or turbo cars will know and love that sound!

Flames are extra awesome!!!!

GM makes the Grand Sport for people who don't like that kind of thing. IMO, I think anybody who complains about that kind of thing shouldn't have bought a Z06 in the first place.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you get rid of the "exhaust popping" on deceleration?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 AM
BubbaDuss
Burning Brakes

The exhaust popping on Decel is/was standard on every LS powered car since 96. even with the stock exhaust I was able to make my LS2 GTO pop on Decel and my Z06. My LS1 GTO popped mildly, until I put headers and Borla's on it, then it popped very loudly.

If you want the pop gone, any good tuner worth his fee can tune it out for you. DFCO is only there to keep your Cats cool. without it, you will burn them up pretty quick.

I for one, enjoy the popping, but there are others who believe the Z06 should be the pinnacle of American Supercar technology and compose itself as refined. not brutish.

If you don't care about your warranty, get it tuned out.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM
93civEJ1
Pro

my z06 I picked up not long ago today likes to pop too. Personally I like it....its so different coming from a built supra where you only popped here and there and shot a flame from unburnt fuel ....where this does it almost every time i just let the car decel.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Chance42
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hated it on my bike after dyno tuning it with a few mods at first. I love it on my z06. With the cam at idle, and my whipple whistling while at idle... and pop on decel... no one ever gets near me at stop lights lol. I think they are afraid I'm about to pull a john force when leaving the light.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How do you get rid of the "exhaust popping" on deceleration?