Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 07 Z06 High Pitched Noise HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 10:27 PM
Tyler Katz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Z06 High Pitched Noise HELP!

Hey guys, recently bought an 07 Z06. Has a high pitched noise that is speed related coming from what seems to be the passenger side rear of the car but not 100% sure. Faster you go the louder it gets. You can’t seem to hear it as much with the windows down because of wind noise but with the windows up it’s loud enough to be annoying. It doesn’t make the noise until you get to about 25-30mph. Im thinking possible rear wheel bearing (hub) but when I jack it up it has no movement and doesn’t seem to make any grinding bearing noise when I spin by hand. I’m not totally ruling out transmission but it makes the same high pitched noise whether the clutch is engaged/disengaged/neutral/in gear I even tried shutting the car off to rule out a Bose speaker amp problem. Only other thing I can think of is rear end but it doesn’t really sound like the “womm womm womm” sounds of a rear end issue. If anyone has any insight please let me know. Thanks!

Old 08-16-2019, 12:22 AM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Hard to tell from a video but a wheel bearing will usually change pitch when turning because of the weight transfer. A rear end will usually change sound when on deceleration from higher speeds. If it were the transmission I’d think you would have different noise depending on the gear. It’s unlikely the transmission. Get it on a rack and listen in the air. You can drain the differential fluid. Best case you change the fluid and that’s not it. Worse case you find something bad in the fluid.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:52 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

My bet is a wheel bearing going out. You said it doesn't whine until about 25-30 mph so I'm not sure why you think you could reproduce it by jacking it up and spinning the wheel by hand. Besides, I think jacking it up takes the load off the wheel bearing and a bad bearing would only make noise if there was a load on it but I'm not a mechanic.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:36 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
My bet is a wheel bearing going out. You said it doesn't whine until about 25-30 mph so I'm not sure why you think you could reproduce it by jacking it up and spinning the wheel by hand. Besides, I think jacking it up takes the load off the wheel bearing and a bad bearing would only make noise if there was a load on it but I'm not a mechanic.
I agree, I have also found, going down the road, is the sound the same as you go around turns, left and right or does it go away on one side... I've found it a way to help eliminate where the noise is coming from...
Old 08-16-2019, 08:10 PM
Tyler Katz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
I spun the wheel by hand to see if I could hear any grinding or noise coming from the bearing itself. Not to reproduce the noise, sorry for the confusion.

Get notified of new replies

To 07 Z06 High Pitched Noise HELP!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 07 Z06 High Pitched Noise HELP!