Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Warhawk or Ported Stock Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:20 AM
IanM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warhawk or Ported Stock Heads?

Well I am planning to throw a Katech 110 Torquer cam in my car soon and during this I plan on also switching out the sodium filled valves as I do not want one failing on me. Should I go ahead and spend the extra money and get a set of the Warhawk heads and put the cam setup with springs retainers valves etc in there or should I just port the stockers? Also should I go with Ti exhaust valves or Steel? I will be keeping the stock intake valves.

As far as my ultimate goal I am going with a head/cam setup with fast intake and 102mm TB. I will not be going FI or spray on the motor I just want to make some nasty NA power I can street.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:57 AM
ajbarbato15
Racer

Have WCCH port your stock heads ; )
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Randy@RaginRacin
Supporting Vendor

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

The best thing is stick with the stock heads. We normally go to Warhark heads when we install one of their blocks with a FI Setup. On a NA Motor there is really no need to.

We have our Hand ported heads with Ferrea Super Alloy Exhaust valves for $1350 Shipped. They are usually a 3-5 day turnaround. On average they will gain 25-27rwhp.

Shawn

RAGIN RACIN
Randy Leger
337-278-8397
sales@raginracin.com
http://www.raginracin.com

Last edited by Randy@RaginRacin; 01-25-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 PM
juicedz06
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

ls7 ported heads with steel valves!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajbarbato15
Have WCCH port your stock heads ; )
, but have them set you up with some coated Ti exhaust valves while you're at it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 PM
IanM
Racer

So I see the general consensus is not to go with the Warhawks... Port job it is then. The only problem that presents is having my car torn apart for such a long period while I ship off the heads to get ported.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
FASTBLUEZ06
Pro

Just put blue painters tape on the block where the heads mate to so nothing gets in there
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 AM
IanM
Racer

Good point. I am really excited to get this setup started. I am actually still deployed to Kyrgyzstan right now and will be back very soon. I just hate to get back and then rip the car apart and not get to drive it. On the other hand I might be able to wrap things up before the weather really starts screaming DRIVE!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Call 'em up, they may do a core exchange.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by IanM
So I see the general consensus is not to go with the Warhawks... Port job it is then. The only problem that presents is having my car torn apart for such a long period while I ship off the heads to get ported.
For $1,550 shipped, our stock heads service comes with: complete tear down, full inspectation, ported, milled (your preferred comp ratio), new bronze guides, new Rev SS exh valves, competition valve job and so on. All work done by WCCH but to "our" specs

Turn time is about 5 to 7 business days.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 01-25-2011, 02:23 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragin Racin
The best thing is stick with the stock heads. We normally go to Warhark heads when we install one of their blocks with a FI Setup. On a NA Motor there is really no need to.

We have our Hand ported heads with Ferrea Super Alloy Exhaust valves for $1350 Shipped. They are usually a 3-5 day turnaround. On average they will gain 25-27rwhp.

Shawn
Hey Shawn,

How much does the stock exhaust valve weigh? And how much does the Ferrea exhaust valve weigh?

How much lighter is the Ferrea than your 'average' SS exhaust valve?

Do you ever do anything with the valve spring to compensate for the additional weight of the non-stock exhaust valves?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Stage7
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay far, far away from the Warhawk ls7 heads. You are much better off with a ported stock casting by one of the vendors on this thread, or going to almost any other aftermarket ls7 casting that's not a Warhawk.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Turbo T/A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FASTBLUEZ06
Just put blue painters tape on the block where the heads mate to so nothing gets in there
How about where the intake sits? Thats a lot of painters tape lol......btw use regular masking tape.....painters tape sucks!

-Carm
Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Hey Shawn,

How much does the stock exhaust valve weigh? And how much does the Ferrea exhaust valve weigh?

How much lighter is the Ferrea than your 'average' SS exhaust valve?

Do you ever do anything with the valve spring to compensate for the additional weight of the non-stock exhaust valves?

Cheers, Paul.
I haven't compared them to other SS valves, but they are much heavier than the stock hollow stem valves; the reason to go with solid Ti e-valves.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Turbo T/A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfinke23
the reason to go with solid Ti e-valves.
For real? People on the street are using a coated titanium exhaust valve?

-Carm
Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 PM
z06tx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
For $1,550 shipped, our stock heads service comes with: complete tear down, full inspectation, ported, milled (your preferred comp ratio), new bronze guides, new Rev SS exh valves, competition valve job and so on. All work done by WCCH but to "our" specs

Turn time is about 5 to 7 business days.

Thanks,
Carlos
I did this and could not be happier. Just don't do it during the holidays as mine took a little longer than 7 days Already had a small cam and gained ~ 30rwhp. The real gain is the new bronze guides and new Rev SS exh valves and complete valve job. Carlos will take care of you. Simple call, paypal and PO issued to WCCH.

Just my 2 cents. //art
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have a set of WCCH ported LS7's in stock if you want.

Get notified of new replies

To Warhawk or Ported Stock Heads?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by z06tx
I did this and could not be happier. Just don't do it during the holidays as mine took a little longer than 7 days Already had a small cam and gained ~ 30rwhp. The real gain is the new bronze guides and new Rev SS exh valves and complete valve job. Carlos will take care of you. Simple call, paypal and PO issued to WCCH.

Just my 2 cents. //art
What compression heads?

I am hoping to gain a bit more than 30rwhp from my heads...but maybe I am just being a bit over ambitious. I was hoping for the heads to go with my E85 setup would net slightly higher results with the 13.5:1 ratio.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 PM
z06tx
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by lane_change
What compression heads?

I am hoping to gain a bit more than 30rwhp from my heads...but maybe I am just being a bit over ambitious. I was hoping for the heads to go with my E85 setup would net slightly higher results with the 13.5:1 ratio.
Yikes - we went with safe and pump gas tuning. Still a little over 12:1 CR. Also note that we stopped "tuning power" after 6K due to some "bad" gas and a little knock I had in the car. You can still FEEL it from the left seat. I'm honestly just happy with the new parts in the valve train. The LS heads are already pretty good and now I can hammer it with little/less fear. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an average of ~33rwhp. I could be wrong..........

With E85 - carlos can hit your CR expectations safely.

//art
Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 PM
IanM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stage7
Stay far, far away from the Warhawk ls7 heads. You are much better off with a ported stock casting by one of the vendors on this thread, or going to almost any other aftermarket ls7 casting that's not a Warhawk.
I am pretty sure WCCH is my answer when it comes time. Just wondering though... why the dislike of the Warhawks? Personal experience?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Warhawk or Ported Stock Heads?