Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My Active Handling problem fixed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM
68birdls1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My Active Handling problem fixed

Hey guys, I have had my Z for probably about 4 months now and have loved upgrading to it from my c5 Z. I have had active handling problems since my c5. Seemed like it was always something. Well when I got my c6 Z I had no issues with it for probably about the first 2 months, and then slowly but surely the active handling light stated coming on and eventually turned into almost every time I drove the car. I thought that the c6's problems would be the same as the c5's and would more than likely be a loose ground or something. I had no idea that there were actually accidents happening because of the active handling issues with the c6's. I started reading up on everything after my right front wheel locked up on me last week.

After all my reading and searching I saw that the steering wheel position sensor was an easy place to start. And not the actual sensor but the plug really. My car had already had the recall done on it but I thought why not check it out just to be sure. Once I got under the dash and the panel out of the way; I unplugged the sensor sprayed some electrical cleaner into the plug and the sensor. When they were both dry I plugged it back up and noticed that the connection just seemed loose. I plugged and unplugged the connector three times and it never got any better. So I plugged it in again and got two zip-ties and tied the senor down to the column with the connectore plugged in. The zip-tie actually goes over the connector and the wires going into the connector. Since I have done that I have had no issues what so ever with the light coming back on. I have been driving for over 3 days when it would come on every time I started the car pretty much and have not seen the light once.

After having the right front wheel lock up on me I wasn't going to drive the car until I got it figured out. I am very pleased that something this simple was the solution to my problem and I just wanted to write this up for anyone that was having the same issue. I searched and couldn't really find that much information about this so I hope this can help.

Daniel
The following users liked this post:
Draiger245 (08-30-2021)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Thank heavens you got it sorted out....and it's always a great feeling when you DIY, and can share your repair with others, Nice work........
Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

What year Z do you have?

Bill
Old 01-08-2011, 08:26 PM
68birdls1
Racer

Thank you and yes I was very happy it was something easy, simple and most of all CHEAP that I could fix.

Knew I forgot something... 2006, pretty sure it was an early build 06 as well
Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
Hey guys, I have had my Z for probably about 4 months now and have loved upgrading to it from my c5 Z. I have had active handling problems since my c5. Seemed like it was always something. Well when I got my c6 Z I had no issues with it for probably about the first 2 months, and then slowly but surely the active handling light stated coming on and eventually turned into almost every time I drove the car. I thought that the c6's problems would be the same as the c5's and would more than likely be a loose ground or something. I had no idea that there were actually accidents happening because of the active handling issues with the c6's. I started reading up on everything after my right front wheel locked up on me last week.

After all my reading and searching I saw that the steering wheel position sensor was an easy place to start. And not the actual sensor but the plug really. My car had already had the recall done on it but I thought why not check it out just to be sure. Once I got under the dash and the panel out of the way; I unplugged the sensor sprayed some electrical cleaner into the plug and the sensor. When they were both dry I plugged it back up and noticed that the connection just seemed loose. I plugged and unplugged the connector three times and it never got any better. So I plugged it in again and got two zip-ties and tied the senor down to the column with the connectore plugged in. The zip-tie actually goes over the connector and the wires going into the connector. Since I have done that I have had no issues what so ever with the light coming back on. I have been driving for over 3 days when it would come on every time I started the car pretty much and have not seen the light once.

After having the right front wheel lock up on me I wasn't going to drive the car until I got it figured out. I am very pleased that something this simple was the solution to my problem and I just wanted to write this up for anyone that was having the same issue. I searched and couldn't really find that much information about this so I hope this can help.

Daniel
Nice job I will store that info away in case someday mine starts to be a problem. This is what I love about this forum. Marc L.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:24 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Please make sure you report this to the NHTSB. Maybe it will prevent someone getting injured.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:11 AM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Recall:
http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...056-31583P.pdf

:: LINK to DIY procedure, click here.

SUGGESTION: When performing a DIY, visit dealer in order to record and/or substantiate the fix as well as clear any relative/outstanding codes.
The following users liked this post:
franman69 (08-14-2016)
Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 AM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 185 Posts

After reading all the stories about Active Handling causing accidents, I disabled the easy entry/exit mode. Now the steering wheel does not telescope in and out every time I enter or exit.

Thanks for sharing this information.

John
Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 PM
aTX427
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Is this fix only for cars with telescoping steering wheels?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
68birdls1
Racer

From my understanding of it, is that the issue with the telescoping wheel comes from the column hitting the wires. My column was not hitting the wires but I still had the problem, so if you are having this issue it couldn't hurt to look into it.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
Thank you and yes I was very happy it was something easy, simple and most of all CHEAP that I could fix.

Knew I forgot something... 2006, pretty sure it was an early build 06 as well
My 05, non Z06 obviously, had the same problem, fixed with a TSB way back in 05.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 PM
68birdls1
Racer

I had the TSB done onto mine but it still was the problem.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:37 PM
BobbyP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fyi the prvious owner had this comb fix at the dealer. I just looked and confirmed it and it still has a right front brake locking up issue. So no fix still.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I replaced my SWPS and no more trouble at all. There are History codes that need to be removed,I had 14 of them.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Professorsc5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the dealer did the repair for free. I have an early 2006 Z06 that has trouble going straight when you get on throttle. I heard that the steering position sensor was the problem, but have not taken it into the dealer yet, but probably will in August.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back from the dead, bump for a helpful thread!

Here's an alternative fix. When I got in there, I found the green wires to the position sensor were under tension from a bundle or big connector closer to the driver. Instead of trying to hold the wires in the position sensor connector, I zip tied them to a nearby bundle fairly tightly to ensure that the wires always have some slack and are never under tension. I haven't tested the fix, but I am confident it will work. If it doesn't, I'll pull the connector, use some contact cleaner, and inspect the connector for damage and repair it if needed.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Z06s don't qualify for te recall. I have an 06 with this problem and no dealership in town will do the recall. I have a telescoping steering wheel and fall within the years mentioned on the recall. No luck. Makes no sense.

Get notified of new replies

To My Active Handling problem fixed

Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 PM
c5goodlife
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Will the dealership help you out as goodwill? Perhaps there are some GM techs here on the forum that can shed some light into this.

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Z06s don't qualify for te recall. I have an 06 with this problem and no dealership in town will do the recall. I have a telescoping steering wheel and fall within the years mentioned on the recall. No luck. Makes no sense.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
hmmm, i just recently did 2 of these recalls. one was a zo6 and the other regular c6. im gonna check on this, im curious. it was just the little comb clip. it just tightens up the connection. whenever im doing a repair that involves a possible connection issue i try to tighten the little female terminals a bit with a small pick. 9 times out of ten little electrical gremlins go away. bcm issues ect. included. remember this.. and for the fellow that was unplugging and plugging his connectors to see if they get better/tighter.....they wont. doing this makes it much worse. try not to mess with connectors more than necessary. they get loose, very delicate. ************ (update....bulletin #06-02-35-002B Stabilitrak/Active Handling Light On, Service Stabilitrak/Active Handling Message on DIC, DTC C0710 Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Signal Set (Install Clip in SWPS Connector) - (Jul 1, 2011)2005–2008 Chevrolet Corvette

with Steering Wheel – Tilt, Telescoping (RPO N37 or N38) **********hope this may help

Last edited by erikszr1; 04-18-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-19-2012, 07:02 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by erikszr1
hmmm, i just recently did 2 of these recalls. one was a zo6 and the other regular c6. im gonna check on this, im curious. it was just the little comb clip. it just tightens up the connection. whenever im doing a repair that involves a possible connection issue i try to tighten the little female terminals a bit with a small pick. 9 times out of ten little electrical gremlins go away. bcm issues ect. included. remember this.. and for the fellow that was unplugging and plugging his connectors to see if they get better/tighter.....they wont. doing this makes it much worse. try not to mess with connectors more than necessary. they get loose, very delicate. ************ (update....bulletin #06-02-35-002B Stabilitrak/Active Handling Light On, Service Stabilitrak/Active Handling Message on DIC, DTC C0710 Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) Signal Set (Install Clip in SWPS Connector) - (Jul 1, 2011)2005–2008 Chevrolet Corvette

with Steering Wheel – Tilt, Telescoping (RPO N37 or N38) **********hope this may help
I dug into my footwell area last week and i already ha the orange comb clip installed by a previous owner which tells me that this issue might have come up before. Since I pushed the connector in tight, it hasn't come up in the last 15 restarts of the car. Before it would come up every time.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My Active Handling problem fixed