Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] TC-Getting to know the Z06 (how to stay out of the ditch)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM
ferravette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Default TC-Getting to know the Z06 (how to stay out of the ditch)

So i've had the Z for almost 2 months now and i'm still experimenting and getting used to it. With the cold weather coming in of course the car is going to behave differently. More power+cold pavement=more slides. So i go out and practice where there is no one and nothing around and the most i can do is slide until i stop. Case in point went out last night temp in the low 40's, nitto nt05 tires (). Did some smooth launches in first right at the limit of the tires as i could feel slight sideway movement with TC and AH on. (i always leave them on). Did some smooth shifts first to second at or close to redline and no drama. Then i decided to see how the car would react with a not so smooth shift. Pulled first gear close to red line came off the gas engaged second and floored it. Car went straight but moved over in an instant the equivalent of one lane. W/o the tc and ah this kind of move would have flipped the car around. I have seen this happen when i owned a Viper (to someone else).

Why did i do this you ask? i was testing the ability/limits of the safety systems. I never felt the traction control come into play, so i'm pretty sure the ah kept the car from spinning. I am surprised at the TC system, i would have thought it would have acted quicker, but then again these cars' power is just violent when not kept in control.

Just a few observations.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:54 PM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

One of the biggest regret moments of my life, was turning the TC off on my Whipple SC Mustang last January 23rd.

In my case- The spin occured so fast, it was unrecoverable before I realized what was going on.

Expensive lesson, and it could have been much worse.

FWIW!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

TC will allow a fair amount of wheel spin before kicking in. It reacts quicker if one wheel is spinning faster than the other.

Bill
Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by dstiger
In my case- The spin occured so fast, it was unrecoverable before I realized what was going on.
Describes to a 'T' what my Z06 did while letting a pal drive her, in spite of my repeated warnings to the clown to be careful.
Fortunately for me the car sustained no damage, a'tall; but, needless to say he doesn't drive my car anymore, either.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM
ferravette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I noticed that and i wondered at one point if something was wrong with my tc.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
TC will allow a fair amount of wheel spin before kicking in. It reacts quicker if one wheel is spinning faster than the other.

Bill
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Z06ReCruiT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been a month since i got my Z06 and still learning how to drive it safe also. Im from Brooklyn NY so i feel you on the weather.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dstiger
One of the biggest regret moments of my life, was turning the TC off on my Whipple SC Mustang last January 23rd.

Expensive lesson, and it could have been much worse.

FWIW!
I'm really sorry to hear that. But also remember that the TC on the Mustang can create a sudden lean condition with the engine, and that can lunch the motor on a Whippled car. Although, in your case, that probably would have proven to be a better scenario. I guess it's just best to drive cautiously during the cold weather season.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I've also had my 06 Z06 for 2 months. On previous C5's and my last C6 I routinely either disabled everything or used Competitive Driving mode. This car will get you into trouble very quickly if you do not respect it. I rarely go into Competitive Driving mode in this car. It feels like the AH/Traction Control is less intrusive on the Z06 and will allow more spirited acceleration. They do put a smile on your face
Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I got my Z06 this past July, so I am learning too...but fairly familar with the system as in principle it works like the system on the C5.

When the temps are cooler out (say below 50) I NEVER disable the traction or active handeling system. Sure they cannot beat physics , but the more help controling the car the better. I will say this, tires are a HUGE factor (duh I know) my Runcraps in cold temps were downright scary Since putting the General UHP tires on, night and day differnce in traction, especially in cold temps.

Stay safe guys
Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
04 YelloW Z06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought my first Z last week I've been taking the ALL tc systems off while messing with the car just like I used to on my C5 Z, I live in Miami fl. Question should I start considering leaving the traction controls on? I have raced cars before and feel like I should be the traction control? With good tires and good driving there should be no problems correct?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Default A thread to read

This thread is good reading for those learning/testing the limits of Corvette acceleration. That includes those transitioning C5 to C6.

Also keep in mind that most high-performance tires, even when up to temp, won't provide good straight-line traction when the surface temp is below 60 degrees F. That envelope is expanded to about 45F on a prepared racing surface if the rears get a burnout.

Ranger
Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 AM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Am I the only one that feels safer with TC off? I hate computers interfering with my car....to me if I feel that if the safest recovery is to power out, modulate brakes, etc...I prefer to be in control of those functions of the car. Sure, the features are there to help, and I have seem them provide better times around a track by keeping the car more under control, but my gut reaction is to control the car myself without any nannies messing with my power or brakes. I pretty much always drive with my computers turned off. I have had my car get out of shape with the nannies on and the computer reaction does not always match my reaction, and it has definitely surprised me a few times and it is just a discomforting feeling not being in control of the outcome. Just my opinion...none of my other cars ever had TC, this is my first car with TC and I just don't like it.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:19 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by lane_change
Am I the only one that feels safer with TC off? I hate computers interfering with my car....to me if I feel that if the safest recovery is to power out, modulate brakes, etc...I prefer to be in control of those functions of the car. Sure, the features are there to help, and I have seem them provide better times around a track by keeping the car more under control, but my gut reaction is to control the car myself without any nannies messing with my power or brakes. I pretty much always drive with my computers turned off. I have had my car get out of shape with the nannies on and the computer reaction does not always match my reaction, and it has definitely surprised me a few times and it is just a discomforting feeling not being in control of the outcome. Just my opinion...none of my other cars ever had TC, this is my first car with TC and I just don't like it.
I understand exactly what you are saying. As long as you don't overestimate your driving skills and know your limitations. I've driven fast cars all my life and still have an old big block that can get you in trouble pretty quick. These C6 Z06's and ZR1's are alot faster than the older cars. They just deserve alot of respect so you don't end up in the woods, like alot of big blocks did back in the 60's.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Describes to a 'T' what my Z06 did while letting a pal drive her, in spite of my repeated warnings to the clown to be careful.
Fortunately for me the car sustained no damage, a'tall; but, needless to say he doesn't drive my car anymore, either.
And that is precisely why I don't let friends drive my car. It takes just that split second of poor judgement or lack of skill and everything can change forever. I'm glad you, and your car, came out of it in one piece.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:14 PM
twobit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I understand exactly what you are saying. As long as you don't overestimate your driving skills and know your limitations. I've driven fast cars all my life and still have an old big block that can get you in trouble pretty quick. These C6 Z06's and ZR1's are alot faster than the older cars. They just deserve alot of respect so you don't end up in the woods, like alot of big blocks did back in the 60's.
The other day i played with mine to.to see were it came on and what came on a/h or t/c.when they come on what do you do? let up on the gas ? push in the clutch in or ride it through.all good questions.the computer acts alot quicker then we do so when we react to t/c or a/h it is already done and we are left with what came on.I powered through a slide the other day to see what would happen.i mean i just got it side ways
not reel bad but enough for it to come on.i left the gas down instead of lifting up on it.i did not like that idea.the car dropped in power jolting the car from sideways the straight due to lack of power.it only lasted for 1 sec before power came back at a more suitable level. i had a 03 z06 and i drove it with everything off .i knew were its breaking point was between traction and no traction .in my 07 z06 i cant seem to find it.to sum it up i don't mind big brother looking over my shoulder.its like wereing your seat belt its for your safty.there is i time and a place for turning it off.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:19 PM
ferravette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I also had a previous c5 z06 and an 05 c6 and i thought it was my imagination, cause i remember the tc being more noticeable in those cars.
I also used to be in comp mode a lot back then, but not now.

Originally Posted by capevettes
I've also had my 06 Z06 for 2 months. On previous C5's and my last C6 I routinely either disabled everything or used Competitive Driving mode. This car will get you into trouble very quickly if you do not respect it. I rarely go into Competitive Driving mode in this car. It feels like the AH/Traction Control is less intrusive on the Z06 and will allow more spirited acceleration. They do put a smile on your face
Old 11-23-2010, 07:25 PM
ferravette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Good old Brooklyn. Grew up in Park Slope.
Yea stuck here till Xmas, then down south, i hope.

Originally Posted by Z06ReCruiT
Its been a month since i got my Z06 and still learning how to drive it safe also. Im from Brooklyn NY so i feel you on the weather.

Get notified of new replies

To TC-Getting to know the Z06 (how to stay out of the ditch)

Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM
ferravette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Keep us informed as these tires wear as to traction and handling.
I have nitto's nt05 right now, which are extremely allergic to cold temps. But im considering getting another set of wheels w different tires for the cold weather.

Originally Posted by FrankTank
I got my Z06 this past July, so I am learning too...but fairly familar with the system as in principle it works like the system on the C5.

When the temps are cooler out (say below 50) I NEVER disable the traction or active handeling system. Sure they cannot beat physics , but the more help controling the car the better. I will say this, tires are a HUGE factor (duh I know) my Runcraps in cold temps were downright scary Since putting the General UHP tires on, night and day differnce in traction, especially in cold temps.

Stay safe guys
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 PM
ferravette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

One more observation. Went out last night for a little more practice. Did acceleration runs ranging from first to 4th. None of the runs were pedal to the metal runs. I practiced keeping the wheels just at the limit of adhesion with smooth shifts. I never fully lifted and stomped on the gas after shifting. I matched or tried to match revs on the up shifts, much like we do on downshifts.

Long story short: car was completely under control. as soon as i felt a little sideways movement i backed up just enough but still accelerating and the car just handled perfectly.
When you stomp on the gas you just sit back and the engine is in control. But this way i felt like i was telling the engine when and how to accelerate.
It does take all your attention. The radio was off.
I drove again today the same way and i feel like i have a new car.
As you all know balance and finesse go hand in hand.
Well out for more practice.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank

Stay safe guys
Good advice

Quick Reply: [Z06] TC-Getting to know the Z06 (how to stay out of the ditch)