Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Wheel Hop - Causes and Cures

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Default Wheel Hop - Causes and Cures

I'm really disappointed today. Perfect weather, excellent track prep, and no matter what I did, every time the car hit the power band, it started to wheel hop. What is it about the stock geometry and suspension that makes these things prone to hop? And it's getting worse. Could I have broken or bent something under there?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Zo3o6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Coilovers=no more wheel hop.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

A search turned up this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ing-broke.html

Guess it's time to check the mounts.

Originally Posted by QwikC
Coilovers=no more wheel hop.
Yes, I've heard that before, too, but not sure I want to go to the coilovers just yet.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The cause of wheel hop is the rapidlly repeated grip/slip of rear tire's traction accompanied buy reverse torque of the rear differential.Regarding Corvettes, it has been stated that a cure is to install coilovers as they "plant " the vehicle to the pavement.Tires also enter into the mix.I get less hop with my "Stones" then my OEM GY's

Last edited by QUAKEJAKE; 11-21-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:01 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The cure is to have 2 different size half shafts as on the ZR1. Outside air temp seems to be a factor when launching. I've had it happen at the dragstrip when hitting second but not every time. Warm weather seems to help.

Last edited by goatts; 11-21-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:08 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Just searched out several other threads, and according to Ranger, it's all driver. Guess I really suck. But, like I said, it has never wheel hopped this bad, not even when I ran that 10.90 at this same track. Reducing tire inflation did help in the past, but today nothing helped. Not feathering the throttle or dropping to 21 PSI or soft launching. As soon as it hit that power band, BAM BAM BAM BAM!! Grrrr.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 PM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose in some situations you can 'drive' your way out of it. I have coilovers and no issues. Trying tranny/motor mounts wouldn't hurt either. Or working on your technique but who knows - might break stuff in the process of getting it perfected.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

My oh my, gents. The place to start looking for clues on wheel hop is set out the base-line information:

(1) Power of the car
(2) Rear tires on the car
(3) PSI of those tires measured before the wheel hop incidents.
(4) Temperature of the racing surface
(5) Were the tires heated by a burnout?

That info will give us something to go on.

Ranger
Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ranger
My oh my, gents. The place to start looking for clues on wheel hop is set out the base-line information:

(1) Power of the car

That info will give us something to go on.

Ranger
(1) Power of the car
Over 560rwhp, 510rwtq
Nitto Invos with maybe 20% tread left
21-22 PSI hot
Unknown. ~78 degree day and sunny.
Was told not to heat them because they get slicker when hot. When I was burning them good (previous track sessions), I got no wheel hop, just wheel spin. Today, just a quick spin to clean them off, then staged.

And therein lies the clue. I may have answered my own question. That's the only thing I changed today from previous runs.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 11-21-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EViL427
Just searched out several other threads, and according to Ranger, it's all driver. Guess I really suck. But, like I said, it has never wheel hopped this bad, not even when I ran that 10.90 at this same track. Reducing tire inflation did help in the past, but today nothing helped. Not feathering the throttle or dropping to 21 PSI or soft launching. As soon as it hit that power band, BAM BAM BAM BAM!! Grrrr.
on the "it's all the drivers fault" myth.

When my car was new I got zero wheel hop. ZERO
After a while it started gettin some hop, then more and more.
Then it would get uncontrollable massive wheel hop (aka driveline shake). There was nothing the driver could do to stop it.
I finally figured out that it was being caused by broken mounts.

I replaced the motor and tranny mounts with the Pfadt solid mounts. The hopping BAM BAM BAM BS is a thing of the past!!!! I can't make the wheels hop now, no matter how hard I spin the tires.

Sounds to me like your tranny or motor mounts have broken like mine did (see Pix below).

Pfadt Motor and Tranny mounts delete the drive line shake that causes the tires to bounce like freakin basket *****

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 11-21-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:23 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Maxx, I really don't want to go to solid mounts. I don't need the shake and vibration of the cam amplified. My wife is already giving me strange looks from all the clutch noises. I still need the car for date night, and thus it must remain somewhat well behaved.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maxx, I really don't want to go to solid mounts. I don't need the shake and vibration of the cam amplified. My wife is already giving me strange looks from all the clutch noises. I still need the car for date night, and thus it must remain somewhat well behaved.
No problem there, but if your mounts are broken you should replace them with new OEM mounts.

My solid mounts actually cause very little vibration at all. Mostly just a little at idle.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Putting a Z06 with 100 rwhp beyond stock on street tires that are worn (20% tread left) onto a well-prepped race surface like HRP, and being aggressive with the throttle is a prescription for how to make the car hop.

Actually, no worn street tire will likely handle that power.

A correctly-sized and properly heated drag radial tire is the prescription at your power level for avoiding wheel hop on the drag strip.

I've made >250 passes in my stock Z06, it doesn't hop except through driver error. I've coached quite a few drivers at the track to refrain from dramatically overpowering available traction. Once they learn to sense what the rear wheels are doing, wheel hop disappears as an issue.

Ranger
Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Wheel hop is the one thing I dislike about my Z. I'll check my mounts, but my car showed moderate to severe hop with only 2800 miles. Part of the reason I don't drag race it anymore.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm really disappointed today. Perfect weather, excellent track prep, and no matter what I did, every time the car hit the power band, it started to wheel hop. What is it about the stock geometry and suspension that makes these things prone to hop? And it's getting worse. Could I have broken or bent something under there?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks.
The cure is: driving

A trained/experienced 1/4 mile assult driver knows how to quaterback the balancing act between wheel spin, clutch slip and throttle application all while evaluating track grip and gear shifting hand speed.

Once you master this balancing act then no matter what power level you have, you will NOT wheel hop on street tires.

Practice and practice some more and you'll be fine. Granted, you will not go as fast as you would like to on street tires with lots of power vs. sticky tires but at least you will drive home in one piece.

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Vince.. try some tires first... also as stated above it would not hurt to check you engine and trans mounts for any signs of wear...

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Hop - Causes and Cures

Old 11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To put it in layman's terms: Poor traction=wheel hop. Doesn't matter if you're making 300 hp or 600hp, if you don't have the means to harness the power to the track, you will spin or worse, hop.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:48 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

When I had my C5 coupe I would get wheel hop. I replaced the shocks with some Bilstiens and it went away. I have read a lot of articles on wheel hop and many point to the shocks... If your mounts look fine I would say replace the shocks....

Mark
Old 11-22-2010, 02:48 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try tires? R u using older worn down tires that have been through lots of heat cycles? Get a new set of tires and I'd bet you would be all set.

Remember, tire manufacturers put the soft sticky (good) rubber on the outside layer, then after several thousand miles once you wear that away, you get to the hard compound that makes them last longer, but provides significantly less traction. This is one of the big reasons why new tires always feel better. You have probably worn out the soft outer layer and are now at the hard layer of rubber.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Wheel Hop - Causes and Cures