Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Just bought a Z06 and problems already :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:02 AM
AmitZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a Z06 and problems already :(

Hello,

Im new to the forum world. Last week I just purchased my first Corvette, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 w/5000 miles. 5 Days later the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor. I was driving the car aggressive prior to this happening. I had to have the car towed to the nearest Chevrolet dealership , they did examine it and said it needed a master and slave cylinder, so that has been replaced. I was just wondering if this is a common problem, or was i just not driving the car right.

Thanks alot, all responses appreciated.

Amit
Old 10-17-2010, 04:17 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Since we do not know exactly how you were driving it, I cannot say whether you were driving it right or not. The car does not do well with a lot of clutch slippage. Replacing the master/slave is not what I would call a "common" problem (although it has happened). The cluth sticking to the floor does happen and the first treatment is usually replacing the clutch fluid. Also, once the clutch cools down this syptom tends to go away. Since you bought the car used it is very difficult to say whether you or the previous owner was the cause. Hopefully, all is corrected now.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:47 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by AmitZ06
Hello,

Im new to the forum world. Last week I just purchased my first Corvette, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 w/5000 miles. 5 Days later the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor. I was driving the car aggressive prior to this happening. I had to have the car towed to the nearest Chevrolet dealership , they did examine it and said it needed a master and slave cylinder, so that has been replaced. I was just wondering if this is a common problem, or was i just not driving the car right.

Amit
You post(ed) another thread today and you had one of the forums leading authorities respond IMO....listen to what 'Ranger' told you and read information the links he posted for you....
Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 AM
AmitZ06
Pro

Tim this was a different issue. This is problem that already occured with the master and slave cylinders, the other post was just asking about precaution to the rear end. Sorry for the confusion, i posted this before i received word from Ranger.

Amit
Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

My apology sir.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Hello,

Amit
My '06 did the same thing back when it had 1500 miles. Literally the 1st time I went for the 1-2 shift while driving it hard... it stuck to the floor and was stuck in gear. I was fortunate that I know how to drive a manual with out a clutch so I was able to nurse it home. It was towed to the dealer and was fixed by replacing the master cylinder and the slave. At that time I was one of the 1st to experience this, however I have seen it a few time since. Usually though it happens to a new car that is still under warranty!!! One of the disadvantages of buying any super low mile car without a warranty is that any defective parts have not surfaced yet because the car has not been used enough. There fore when they do.... there is no warranty to fix them. There have to be enough of these that have happened that GM knows about it. Maybe you could loby to get it covered being your car has such low miles.
My '06 had a few issues the 1st couple years.... they were all fixed under warranty and the car has been fine since.
Best of luck
Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 AM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Just send it to rpm for a 6 speed automatic!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:03 AM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spoiled996
Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

That's like having your son castrated the first time he gets nailed in the groin playing soccer. Fail.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 AM
juicedz06
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Hello,

Amit
VERY COMMON! put a RPS clutch in it and a new slave and be done!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:25 PM
vettenut5
Instructor

Defeats the purpose of having a manual !
Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterM
Old 10-17-2010, 05:41 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by juicedz06
VERY COMMON! put a RPS clutch in it and a new slave and be done!
This has nothing to do with the clutch... this is a master cylinder issue that effects few Z06s. The clutch pedal was stuck to the floor with the car in gear and no slip.... different issue all together...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:11 PM
lthrneck
Racer

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
This has nothing to do with the clutch... this is a master cylinder issue that effects few Z06s. The clutch pedal was stuck to the floor with the car in gear and no slip.... different issue all together...
Happened to my 2008 with less than 10K miles on it and if anything I baby it.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:57 PM
GtownC6Z
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my pedal stick on me halfway out at the track, it turned out to be the clutch fluid, keep it crystal clear/clean, and it will keep all the nasty clutch issues away
Old 10-18-2010, 02:50 PM
IANIL8
Racer

I hate the stock clutch in these Z's... I change the fluid and it does stop for a while... I ordered a BC2 Carbon clutch...tired of this crap.. Love my Z hate my stock clutch...
Old 10-18-2010, 03:34 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
I will beg to differ... GM as a TSB instructing to replace the pressure plate for a "new" unit to cure the clutch/hydraulic problem when the master has been replaced already.

It is actually quite common practice, replacing the master cylinders. It's the first step to you getting a "Well, we've done everything we can." while the car still exhibits the same problem.

My 08 was like this and now my 09 does EXACTLY the same thing.

Personally, after all the back and forth with multiple service departments and meetings with regional techs, etc..... the only real solution is a new clutch with a TICK master cylinder kit. If they're was an aftermarket slave and throw-out bearing, I would do those too but so far all we have to work with is GM parts. The stock hydraulic system is weak and a clutch that probably was designed (final production unit) for the wash-n-park guys then the those that actually drive these cars. Look how much TM there is in the factory tune. Great car, no doubt about that but it needs a bit of love.

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought a Z06 and problems already :(

Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

key to keeping it from sticking is keeping the fluid clean... follow the ranger method... first time i bled it, it took forever cause it was so dirty... now its quick 1 or 2 cycles of it and it hasnt stuck since that day at the track and when i started bleeding it ... also watch ur launches...

IMO if u rev it up to 5k and drop the clutch.... the clutch is going to get so hot its gonna stick the pedal down to the floor .. pop it back up with ur foot.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
key to keeping it from sticking is keeping the fluid clean... follow the ranger method... first time i bled it, it took forever cause it was so dirty... now its quick 1 or 2 cycles of it and it hasnt stuck since that day at the track and when i started bleeding it ... also watch ur launches...

IMO if u rev it up to 5k and drop the clutch.... the clutch is going to get so hot its gonna stick the pedal down to the floor .. pop it back up with ur foot.
Don't clutch pedals have return springs though? My C4 pedal does anyway. I've always wondered about the hanging pedal if there is suppose to be a return spring assisting the pedal return.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Don't clutch pedals have return springs though? My C4 pedal does anyway. I've always wondered about the hanging pedal if there is suppose to be a return spring assisting the pedal return.
to be honest... I dont Know... transmissions have always been my weak point ... never rebuilt one, never took one apart... so I hope someone else can chime in on this.. I would assume it has something to do with it being a hydraulic clutch

Quick Reply: [Z06] Just bought a Z06 and problems already :(