Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
View Poll Results: If you have had catastrophic engine failure or a dropped valve: please check one
Stock engine(No Mods) and Stock Tune
52.38%
Stock engine(No Mods) and Tuned
23.81%
Modded Engine(Cam etc.) and Tuned
23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

[Z06] Poll on LS7's with dropped valves or catastrophic engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 PM
zfast1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First motor blew round 19k miles, not sure what happen but guys at GM try to say I float a
valve or over reved it. After fighting for while they replace whole motor and sent back to bowling green. Still cluessless as to what happen? They didn't tell me what cause or tell me the problem. 100% stock

Now at 35k or roughly 16k miles later on new motor, one morning went to start car up to check oil before going out and heard a taping noise. Tow to GM and found out the tapping
noise was a broken intake valve seal causing it to float up and down on valve. Guess I got lucky and caught it before valve drop. Worst part was GM rep void my warranty cause I had a killer bee intake no tune. No way will I pay GM for another stock engine
Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
Perhaps you didn't understand my comment, when doing a statistical analysis you need to look at quantities of the sample. You need total numbers of units in the field not their performance parameters and cost.
Right. I misunderstood what you meant. Still, have not heard nearly the issues out of the GT500 or Viper (or any other car in the 500+hp league). What are the odds that multiple people have had bad engines one after the other if the odds are less than 1% of ONE faulty engine? Either we have quite a few forum members who should have played the lotto and bought a Veyron instead, or that <1% is inaccurate. Not trying to dog the car, but the facts cannot be denied.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:01 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by zfast1
First motor blew round 19k miles, not sure what happen but guys at GM try to say I float a
valve or over reved it. After fighting for while they replace whole motor and sent back to bowling green. Still cluessless as to what happen? They didn't tell me what cause or tell me the problem. 100% stock

Now at 35k or roughly 16k miles later on new motor, one morning went to start car up to check oil before going out and heard a taping noise. Tow to GM and found out the tapping
noise was a broken intake valve seal causing it to float up and down on valve. Guess I got lucky and caught it before valve drop. Worst part was GM rep void my warranty cause I had a killer bee intake no tune. No way will I pay GM for another stock engine
I like your two post counts: one in feb 09 and one today...and that's it

maybe in order to participate in a post a member should be more than a newb, literaly...at leat one post a month would be nice, not one every 16 months...mind you into a "touchy" threat...almost like someon taped you on the shoulder to "go and vote"...no posts about those 2 grenated motors either, nor even participating in any of the other preceding discussions...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:23 AM
jrgeorge27
Heel & Toe

Default Put me down for "Stock motor, dropped valve"

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Will be interesting to see the result

Statistics so far as of june 30,2010:

There have been 1082 viewers of this poll as of the moment I write this reply.

There have been 18 engines that have had catastrophic failure.
*This represents about 1.6% engine failure rate assuming all 1082 that viewed the post and of those 1082 those with catastrophic failure actually voted.

There have been 10 of those that are totally stock that have had catastrophic engine failure (No Tune and No Mod)
*This represents slightly less the 1% engine failure rate assuming all 1082 that viewed the post and of those 1082 those with catastrophic failure voted.

*It seems a tune has no impact on engine failure as there are more failures on stock tunes then there are tuned motors - this statement would assume half the viewers of the poll have tunes and half still remain with the stock tune.

1% engine failure rate or 1 in 100 - seems pretty high.

This should make the folks from GM that monitor our forum take notice.

Here are my blown motor pictures:
http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/...lown%20Engine/

I have since built my new motor up in hopes that it doesn't blow up. I replaced the springs and valves along with some other goodies.

Here is my original story. I have had heard that this issue is a lot bigger than just 10-20 motors.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...20#post1949920

Here is my story, its long and confusing, but its facts. I will never go to Munday Chevrolet or buy another GM product because of this..so thanks GM for screwing me out of $17k. I have since screwed you out of $100k by talking people out of not buying a GM product because you fail on customer service.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Vividz06
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Will be interesting to see the result

Statistics so far as of june 30,2010:

There have been 1082 viewers of this poll as of the moment I write this reply.

There have been 18 engines that have had catastrophic failure.
*This represents about 1.6% engine failure rate assuming all 1082 that viewed the post and of those 1082 those with catastrophic failure actually voted.

There have been 10 of those that are totally stock that have had catastrophic engine failure (No Tune and No Mod)
*This represents slightly less the 1% engine failure rate assuming all 1082 that viewed the post and of those 1082 those with catastrophic failure voted.

*It seems a tune has no impact on engine failure as there are more failures on stock tunes then there are tuned motors - this statement would assume half the viewers of the poll have tunes and half still remain with the stock tune.

1% engine failure rate or 1 in 100 - seems pretty high.

This should make the folks from GM that monitor our forum take notice.
Hi mate
John from Australia , 07 c6 z06 drooped valve 30k miles 2 hrs on a track 20k later
Old 05-28-2013, 03:30 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not (yet) had a failure, consequently I did not vote. However, there is little doubt that my 2006 Z06 was destined for a failure had I not had my faulty guides replaced as a preventive measure. While at it, EVs were replaced with SS.

I am hoping to sell the car this summer, and am unsure whether my preventive work, which I will clearly disclose, will be seen as a positive aspect or not by potential buyers. I tend to think potential buyers will view it negatively. Hopefully I am wrong.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by clogan
I have not (yet) had a failure, consequently I did not vote. However, there is little doubt that my 2006 Z06 was destined for a failure had I not had my faulty guides replaced as a preventive measure. While at it, EVs were replaced with SS.

I am hoping to sell the car this summer, and am unsure whether my preventive work, which I will clearly disclose, will be seen as a positive aspect or not by potential buyers. I tend to think potential buyers will view it negatively. Hopefully I am wrong.
Interesting point. Hopefully you will start a post adressing this issue when you put it up for sale.

DH
Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zfast1
[...] Now at 35k or roughly 16k miles later on new motor, one morning went to start car up to check oil before going out and heard a taping noise. Tow to GM and found out the tapping noise was a broken intake valve seal causing it to float up and down on valve. Guess I got lucky and caught it before valve drop. Worst part was GM rep void my warranty cause I had a killer bee intake no tune. No way will I pay GM for another stock engine
That's interesting, since we have photos of another engine -- a heavily tracked one -- that had valve seal/seat issues (valve stem seals were beat up / broken). My theory is that engine had been experiencing a lot of valve float to beat up those steel pieces like that.

In any case, I don't think the broken seat/seal alone would cause a valve to drop. Of course whatever beat that seal up could have beat up the valve as well.... (an exhaust valve dropped in the engine below, with little or no valve guide wear).

Originally Posted by Z06_505
[...] Here the #4 intake valve seal was in three pieces and the exhaust valve seal clearly worn on the bottom. It sure looks like the valve spring is pounding the seal's base. Hopefully one of our engine builders reading this can explain whether this pounding can happen. I guess if there is valve float it is possible.

[...]
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

post is a bit old
Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Ah yes, Vividz06 was doing a bit of gravedigging around the thread cemetery
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by clogan

If they know enough to ask, they'll be pleasantly surprised that you took care of it. If they don't, I wouldn't bring it up any more than I would bring up other maintenance specifics unless asked. "Well maintained and here are the records".

It's not like you have something to hide, but your average buyer isn't going to know about the issues be likely will be unhappy that you tinkered with the motor.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
If they know enough to ask, they'll be pleasantly surprised that you took care of it. If they don't, I wouldn't bring it up any more than I would bring up other maintenance specifics unless asked. "Well maintained and here are the records".

It's not like you have something to hide, but your average buyer isn't going to know about the issues be likely will be unhappy that you tinkered with the motor.
and was thinking the same thing.

If the car were otherwise stock, I wouldn't bring it up unless the prospective buyer knew enough to bring it up.

And if he did, then he'd be pleasantly surprised to see that the matter was taken care of.

If it had a skip shift plugged in, C5 Z06 axles, a ZR1 X pipe, DRM Bilstein shocks with poly bushings, aftermarket tunnel plate, Hawk brake pads, I probably wouldn't say anything either.

Some of the above stuff, the owner may honestly forget that he installed it, if it was long enough ago.

The rest, is not going to matter unless the owner is asked. I sell a used car, I sell it as is.

Unless the buyer specifically asked has it had any engine work done to it, or similar question, I wouldn't bring it up.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-29-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:53 AM
Corinthian
7th Gear

Default valve failure on exported '07

Hey!
I'm from Sweden and i have an US '07 Z06. 2 days ago we did the "wiggle test" on my valves after discovering a rattle from the engine at 1400-1600 rpm.

All intake valves on the passanger side was wiggleing... even with the springs mounted so car was sent off for head-renovation.

Mine is stock motor and has gone 26000 miles (42000 km).
Old 07-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corinthian
Hey!
I'm from Sweden and i have an US '07 Z06. 2 days ago we did the "wiggle test" on my valves after discovering a rattle from the engine at 1400-1600 rpm.

All intake valves on the passanger side was wiggleing... even with the springs mounted so car was sent off for head-renovation.

Mine is stock motor and has gone 26000 miles (42000 km).
Interesting results...One side have all intakes out of spec...

I had similar results with 9k miles. They were measured at spec level or below on driver side.

Suggests temp is not the culprit (many knowledgeable posters have posited that exhaust gas temperature is the problem). Likely, improper surface finish on the valves..
Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I love this discussion. Many of the folks with no problem, bury their heads in the sand and say, "Must have been operator error...." The folks that have had a problem understandably say...."GMs fault!"

I am going to call for a Karma Tsunami and say to all that think this is a Audi Unintended Acceleration of much todo about nothing, may you be the ones that get the 1% failure rate from now on out.

For those that are seriously concerned and either have opted to spend insurance money on an extended warranty or on rebuilt heads, may you be the ones to be in the 99% from here on out.

After a year or so of this we can retake a poll and see how the "unintended acceleration" crowd feels at that time.

I did the max GMPP thing and the motor is staying dead stock to keep it in force as long as possible and I will enjoy my car in the meantime with less stress.

Enjoy and never forget to wave.

Last edited by pkincy; 07-18-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard my valve train get louder and knew exactly what was wrong and was going to tear it apart that weekend but i kept driving the car like a dumbass .

It dropped an Evalve that night sitting at a traffic light .
Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Sorry to hear that. All stock? what year car?

Get notified of new replies

To Poll on LS7's with dropped valves or catastrophic engine failure

Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Sorry to hear that. All stock? what year car?
That was a while ago and posted , i was just adding my 2 centz on what NOT to do .

Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is the flaw with this poll...you can only vote once.

my 06 has lost two engines...a 66% failure rate (until this one goes and it will be back up to 100%)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:15 AM
sohail
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Jasil
You can't be serious maybe most novice of track rats, but with the long gears that's not even common imo........ on the street you would have to be a complete bafoon to do this.

I just bought my 07 Z; one owner 34100 miles, I drive it daily and i am very gentle with it. These threads are ruining my joy. Car does have a tick noise 1200-1900 rpm but it goes away when I slowly rev up. All LS engine make that noise,some louder some quieter.

I barely hit 1400 rpm in the city; mostly at 800 in 6th gear 40mph. I can't imagine a valve would break driving like a NORMAL HUMAN BEING.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Poll on LS7's with dropped valves or catastrophic engine failure