Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Burning clutch smell after 2.5k rpm launch???

Old 05-21-2010, 01:57 PM
show723
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Burning clutch smell after 2.5k rpm launch???

I haven't done Ranger's clutch fluid swap in about 2 months now, but that shouldn't be the cause of the smell after a 2,500 rpm launch. I revved it up for a crowd of people and then eased into it at around 2.5k rpm so I didn't burn the tires, but then after that I smelled clutch burn like crazy! How could that be? I have some vette buddies that launch theirs MUCH higher than that and have no issues whatsoever. So what's the deal???
Old 05-21-2010, 02:05 PM
ConfusedGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You likely slipped it too much. The LS7 clutch does not deal with slippage well at all, even some other stock clutches I've had seem to handle it better.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is normal for any standard shifted car.. you slipped the clutch a little too much but in a few days the smell will go away and no harm really except for excessive wear.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:06 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I smell clutch all the time (well, not ALL the time, but so often that it's no longer surprising to me).
Old 05-21-2010, 04:13 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 752 Likes on 305 Posts

Same thing has happened to me,

but,

a nice bunch of blue dust came out from under the car.

I've taken it to the dealer.

Anyone got an idea what I'll be told or to expect?

I do the Ranger change every 3k and the fluid is jet black everytime.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by show723
I haven't done Ranger's clutch fluid swap in about 2 months now, but that shouldn't be the cause of the smell after a 2,500 rpm launch. I revved it up for a crowd of people and then eased into it at around 2.5k rpm so I didn't burn the tires, but then after that I smelled clutch burn like crazy! How could that be? I have some vette buddies that launch theirs MUCH higher than that and have no issues whatsoever. So what's the deal???
you didn't launch it you silped it...big difference, and that's the big no no on this car.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

In order to keep from trashing all of our drive line parts, the clutch was intentionally built to only hold enough torque to launch the car under normal circumstances. This car was built to road race, not specifically to drag race. We can save that for the cheap Mustangs. As the clutch material heats up, it loses grip and by slipping it at rpm as you engaged it, you heated the clutch just enough to not lock which added more heat and more slip, ect. I can guarantee that if our cars had a much stronger clutch and you snapped your foot off at 7000 rpm, something would be breaking pretty soon. Either that or you would be in the wall with horrendous wheel spin. 505 hp + 3100 lb car = BE CAREFUL. If GM wanted to build us a drag car I am sure it would come with a solid axle and a four link.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

OK... you slipped the clutch to much then. You do that with any manual car and it will smell. I have had to many manual cars over the years.... yes the Z06 clutch is a bit finicky... once you learn it, it works good IMO. IT DOES NOT LIKE SLIPPAGE. Anyone that has drag raced their Z more then a few times has had this happen to them. As long as you do not keep slipping it, it will cool down and be fine. It is not an issue as so much it is a result of over slipping.

Just dont do what this guy did.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHwzmzt8GE
Old 05-22-2010, 06:18 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 752 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
OK... you slipped the clutch to much then. You do that with any manual car and it will smell. I have had to many manual cars over the years.... yes the Z06 clutch is a bit finicky... once you learn it, it works good IMO. IT DOES NOT LIKE SLIPPAGE. Anyone that has drag raced their Z more then a few times has had this happen to them. As long as you do not keep slipping it, it will cool down and be fine. It is not an issue as so much it is a result of over slipping.

Just dont do what this guy did.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHwzmzt8GE

I've never slipped the clutch in any of my 3 Z's nor my Viper.
So the info is good to know.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:20 PM
show723
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven a lot of manual cars before and even my pop's 66 gto has NEVER had this smell and I know I've slipped that more than a few times. Some of you must think I held the clutch at the point of engagement instead of letting it go all the way. How is what I did any different then easing into it so you don't roast the tires by just letting the clutch out abruptly? Some of you make it sound like it's either one or the other...slip it (which is a no no obviously!) or just let go of the clutch and let her chirp the tires every time. I've only smelled this twice since I've owned the car, but to me, that's too much for the type of car this is.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:50 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I've driven a lot of manual cars before and even my pop's 66 gto has NEVER had this smell and I know I've slipped that more than a few times. Some of you must think I held the clutch at the point of engagement instead of letting it go all the way. How is what I did any different then easing into it so you don't roast the tires by just letting the clutch out abruptly? Some of you make it sound like it's either one or the other...slip it (which is a no no obviously!) or just let go of the clutch and let her chirp the tires every time. I've only smelled this twice since I've owned the car, but to me, that's too much for the type of car this is.
Did the clutch pedal get soft and or stick to the floor momentarily? Cause that can happen when the clutch is hot too! I would say if you slip the clutch for longer then 1 second.... it will either smell, the pedal will go away or all of the above! Yes its finicky, but I think it works well once you figure it out. Also I doubt any of the other cars were as powerful as the Z... and if they were, they had a strong aftermarket clutch I am sure. The Zs stock clutch has to be light to operate and handle 500+hp... not an easy order.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

you slipped the clutch. you should dump the clutch hard - as fast a clutch release as possible. If i want to impress the bystanders, i just pop the clutch fast at just above an idle(with traction control) off and ease into the gas. This gets you out of the hole quick with some tire spin. If i want a smoke show, i pop the clutch fast at just barely above an idle and stomp on the gas.

Get notified of new replies

To Burning clutch smell after 2.5k rpm launch???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Burning clutch smell after 2.5k rpm launch???