Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] The teardown begins

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default The teardown begins

I got the car back today, and just had to get the head off to examine the damage. It wasn't good, but expected:

Here is what came out of the intake manifold:

here is what the #8 combustion chamber looked like (notice the clean break on the exhaust valve hmmm....):

Here is a shot inside #8 cylinder

And finally a shot of #8 lifter valley (there is a fist size hole...so much for a set of MID sleeves)

I will post more pictures soon, and video too. The thing is, all of the exhaust guides on this head are shot. There is marking on the valves, and #8 has a very black sooty residue in the port, leading me to believe there was a lot of oil coming out not long before the failure.

I have not disassembled the head yet, so I don't have any measurements, but trust me, you can see the movement. The wear is in the direction of the rocker arm movement. with that I will say, this was possibly caused by a geometry issue, but was NOT CAUSED BY A TUNE OR BY DRAG RACING. There is a defect with the car.

Tony
Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Best of luck to you bro, I hope you get enough support and breaks to stay in the game!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You mentioned that the guides are too short. Can you elaborate on that? These finding are interesting though it took your motor to go... Which sucks!!!

Do you think a taller guide would keep the valve from movng around? Or what would wear out the guide to make the valve move around like that? Is there not enough pressure on the spring to keep in check?

Man, if we can just fine out what exactly is making the valve shift around and hopefully we can come up with a way to reduce this type of failure.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Valve train wear? What oil are you using?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Originally Posted by obzidian
You mentioned that the guides are too short. Can you elaborate on that? These finding are interesting though it took your motor to go... Which sucks!!!

Do you think a taller guide would keep the valve from movng around? Or what would wear out the guide to make the valve move around like that? Is there not enough pressure on the spring to keep in check?

Man, if we can just fine out what exactly is making the valve shift around and hopefully we can come up with a way to reduce this type of failure.
I mentioned the guides were "shot", not "short". however you may have a point. It may be possible that there isn't enough guide length after the CNC porting process.

Tony

Last edited by KLLRVET; 05-04-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 AM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NORTY
Valve train wear? What oil are you using?
I bought the car with 11,600 miles on it. It had mobil 1 (and I can only assume that it always had Mobile One), and I have since switched to Amsoil 5/30.

Tony
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the guides were shot...while this isn't directed specifically at the OP, I still fail to see how replacing the stock exhaust valves with something that weighs 30% more would have allowed this blow-up to have been avoided. Thus I stand by the point I made in a previous thread, the "cheap, lousy, no good, hollow" stock exhaust valves are NOT the issue and people replacing them without fixing something else along the way are pissin their money away on cheap parts.

I also stand by my previously made point that spending money to upgrade the oiling system on these cars (and I'm NOT just talking about increasing capacity) is money far better spent than money spent to replace the stock exhaust valves with SS exhaust valves.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 AM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Looks like an intake valve broken?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 AM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It could also be a QC issue with the bore size of the guide. Make sure you get measurements. I seriously doubt GM would release an engine with improper geometry from the factory, much less give it a 5yr/100k mile warranty. I am sure Katech could comment on this issue with accurate information.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

My guess is the valve was tagged and that started the problem. If you are just drag racing and not getting the oil over 240 degrees the 5W30 will probably work. Above that you need a heavier oil.

Good louk and let me know it you want the pistons and how I can help. I got one rod but it was not worth sending to you.

Jim
Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks just like one I had in my shop last year, the difference was that it lost 2 cylinders, 7 and 8 respectively. There was over a pound of debris in the intake manifold alone and it shot peices of the piston out the tail pipe! That guy got a complete engine as both heads was wasted, the only things reusble was the covers, and the oil pan.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This is what you get when you run a race engine too long:

A nice trophy. It happened at Charlotte Motor Speedway coming out of NASCAR turn 4 in 1986. I was leading by 1.5 laps and still came in third!

Jim
Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 PM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
I got the car back today, and just had to get the head off to examine the damage. It wasn't good, but expected:

Here is what came out of the intake manifold:

Tony
Tony,

Speaking of intake manifolds. It looks like you get mine that you bought on Friday the 7th.

Just in time for the weekend.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:13 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long was it run post major engine noise? Notice the sleeve is missing, like I said in the earlier thread.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:23 PM
360jeepboy
Racer

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
So the guides were shot...while this isn't directed specifically at the OP, I still fail to see how replacing the stock exhaust valves with something that weighs 30% more would have allowed this blow-up to have been avoided. Thus I stand by the point I made in a previous thread, the "cheap, lousy, no good, hollow" stock exhaust valves are NOT the issue and people replacing them without fixing something else along the way are pissin their money away on cheap parts.

I also stand by my previously made point that spending money to upgrade the oiling system on these cars (and I'm NOT just talking about increasing capacity) is money far better spent than money spent to replace the stock exhaust valves with SS exhaust valves.

Cheers, Paul.
I agree with you on this. I really don't think it has anything to do with the actual valve its self. The valve breaking is just a direct cause of a different problem.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:24 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Painrace
My guess is the valve was tagged and that started the problem. If you are just drag racing and not getting the oil over 240 degrees the 5W30 will probably work. Above that you need a heavier oil.

Good louk and let me know it you want the pistons and how I can help. I got one rod but it was not worth sending to you.

Jim
I have never seen 240 degrees of oil temp. I doubt that the valve tapped the piston, one, becuase the exhaust valve is not bent, two, there are no eyebrows on the other pistons, three the pushrods arent bent, and last, how would that wear out the other three exhaust guides?

Tony
Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM
360jeepboy
Racer

I have not disassembled the head yet, so I don't have any measurements, but trust me, you can see the movement. The wear is in the direction of the rocker arm movement. with that I will say, this was possibly caused by a geometry issue, but was NOT CAUSED BY A TUNE OR BY DRAG RACING. There is a defect with the car.

Tony
I think that it was caused by geometry as well.

Here are some pics of a rockerarm that is missing the needle bearings. (a stock problem from GM) Notice where the rocker arm engages the vlave changes with the bearings missing, which changes the geometry.

offset intake rocker arm and exhaust rocker arm:

Last edited by 360jeepboy; 05-04-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The teardown begins

Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
how long was it run post major engine noise? Notice the sleeve is missing, like I said in the earlier thread.
The motor was only run for a few seconds when the failure occured. If your theory were true why are the other exhaust guides worn?

Tony
Old 05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
360jeepboy
Racer

I'm sorry but if anything just kind of sticks out as the problem that is it...
Old 05-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have never seen 240 degrees of oil temp. I doubt that the valve tapped the piston, one, becuase the exhaust valve is not bent, two, there are no eyebrows on the other pistons, three the pushrods arent bent, and last, how would that wear out the other three exhaust guides?

Tony
Once the valve stem is bent wear starts to occur and the valve starts turning causing more wear. Parts get into the oil and around the other valves causing valve guide wear. The rocker arm will also be slightly off once the stem is bent, hence, bad geometry. It is just a guess on my part. It could have all happened before you owned the car.

Jim

Quick Reply: [Z06] The teardown begins