Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ZR1 Splitter Doesn't Work as a Snowplow

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:35 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
Default ZR1 Splitter Doesn't Work as a Snowplow

Well, my new RPI splitter lasted about 6 weeks. After carefully navigating dips and driveways and various hazzards, it was finally done in by a small pile of snow in the center of the lane.

I am so f'ing pissed. Anyways, I will call the RPI guys on Monday so see if this is repairable - I think it's not. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? It's made of fiberglass.

Also, I need some advice. Some of the mounting clips were ripped out of the front bumper leaving gaping jagged holes where the clips should be. The four outer mounting clips are ok, but the center one and a few others are gone.

How would I go about mounting this thing again? Would it be ok to drill holes in the fiberglass and then screw directly into the bumper plastic? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:46 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Wow that must have been a big snow pile!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

It is repariable but probably not worth the time unless you do it yourself.

I would fiberglass the bottom of the front facia and pop rivet a new one back on. Or, you could drill holes and install new clips and it would work just fine. It just takes a little more time.

Jim
Old 03-21-2010, 03:49 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
It was a narrow strip of slush maybe 3 inches high. I couldn't believe it!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 PM
RPI Designs
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 100 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16 -'17

That is destroyed. We would not be able to repair that. I'll PM you details on another one. I've never seens one destroyed that badly! I guess the moral of the story is to not push snow with the splitter!

PM coming, thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
The snow knocked it down scraping the middle then it broke off and the car running over it did the most damage.

Jim
Old 03-21-2010, 03:57 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Painrace
It is repariable but probably not worth the time unless you do it yourself.

I would fiberglass the bottom of the front facia and pop rivet a new one back on. Or, you could drill holes and install new clips and it would work just fine. It just takes a little more time.

Jim
Good idea Jim! Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:04 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by JGarland
Good idea Jim! Thanks for the advice.
Jim, Wait for the PM from RPI I think they will help you out and get a great solution together for you. It would be a grerat marketing move on their part.

ErnieO
Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

It's not supposed to snow 3-6 inches in TEXAS on the first day of spring either...but it did.

We had the most bipolar weather of any place I've ever been.

Jay
Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 AM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

And 70 degrees and sunny in Connecticut all weekend. Keep that Global Warming coming!

See what Josh @ RPI can do for ya...
Old 03-22-2010, 01:06 AM
C6z06n07
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard
It's not supposed to snow 3-6 inches in TEXAS on the first day of spring either...but it did.

We had the most bipolar weather of any place I've ever been.

Jay
I'm starting to think that Al Gore is fulla **** man!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:17 AM
teking
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6z06n07
I'm starting to think that Al Gore is fulla **** man!

LOL ... He may not have invented the Internet ... but he sure as hell DID invent Global Warming!!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Or better put, a business model (A Crisis!!!!!) over a reoccurring, NATURAL EVENT. I hope he realizes that the earth was covered, literally (snowball earth) TWICE at least that we know of and initially, started as a result of OXYGEN being produced, replacing the methanol that dominated our planet at the time.

DOH!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Josh at RPIDesigns.com fixed me up with a new splitter on a rush order.

Now all I have to do is bear with the indignity of the way it looks for a few weeks. I'm not going to go through the hassle of putting the stock one back on there.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

YIKES!!!

I have been thinking of a front splitter but you now just helped me with my decision. I love the look but doubt how long it will last. With my stock splitter I have 1/4th an inch clearance when I go up my driveway. I believe that these even sit lower than stock.

Good luck with your repair!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 PM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Well, I just want to be clear here and say that its not the splitter's fault - the fault lies with the front facia. Had it not warped when I hit the snow everything would have been fine.

When I hit the snow, the weight of it forced the splitter down because the front facia plastic bent. Once the tip of the spitter hit the pavement it was forced under the car then broke. Had I installed a splitter brace, all would have been fine.

I was actually surpised at the strength of the splitter in general. I was so scared with dips and drives ways in such. But now I know that they are pretty strong.

I just need to avoid things like snow piles and now that i think about it, deep standing water.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:00 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

How much lower does that splitter sit compaired to the OEM splitter? I have 1/4 an inch clearance getting up my driveway approaching at an angle. This is my main concern. Don't want to spend all that cash and then scrape it up trying to get the car back in the garage.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Splitter Doesn't Work as a Snowplow

Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Install the brace

Originally Posted by JGarland
Well, I just want to be clear here and say that its not the splitter's fault - the fault lies with the front facia. Had it not warped when I hit the snow everything would have been fine.

When I hit the snow, the weight of it forced the splitter down because the front facia plastic bent. Once the tip of the spitter hit the pavement it was forced under the car then broke. Had I installed a splitter brace, all would have been fine.

I was actually surpised at the strength of the splitter in general. I was so scared with dips and drives ways in such. But now I know that they are pretty strong.

I just need to avoid things like snow piles and now that i think about it, deep standing water.
That's why the ZR1 has the splitter reinforcment brace. I installed it to give my system even more strenght. I have the complete KaTech splitter with the tray and duct work now. I had a MTI Full Tray splitter on my car prior to the CF KaTech system came out. I was traveling down a back road last summer and there was a landscaping truck with a trailor in front of me. We all were going about 60 down the road and the trailor hit a bump on the shoulder and popped up a seed bag off the back of the trailer. it flipped up in the air and landded , (luckly) flat. But it was a 40 lb bag and I didn't have any where to go so I hit the gas to push the nose up as much as I could and szapbam thump and a major cloud of dust and seads come out from under the back of the car. It was like blowing an engine you couldn't see anything except a cloud of what looked like smoke behind me. I slowed down and pulled over expecting to see everything up front dragging the ground.

Well God was watching and nothing I mean nothing was hurt except for the paint under the splitter tray, and I had grass seeds everywhere in the air intake engine area and under the car.

I went back to see the bag and I tore the top of the plastic off the bag and all the seed just went everywhere. It took 2 hrs to get the seed blown back out of the radiator the air filter had to be completely cleaned but nothing was wrong with the car.

I have to say the MTI Splitter with the tray and the duct works is extremely strong!!!

ErnieO

Last edited by VRedZ06; 03-25-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 330 Likes on 191 Posts

I will sell you one that is already painted black. It came off our show car and was used for Carlisle last year.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 PM
silverarrowZ
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZR1 Splitter Doesn't Work as a Snowplow